Quantcast

ATTN: boxxer compression side not working

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
Hey guys im up at a race this weekend and the first day of practice im having trouble with my compression side on my boxxer. At first i noticed it was topping out a bit(because the compression was not working right) then I checked and turned the blue knob all the way closed which should lock the fork out and it did nothing.

I had it apart to put fresh oil in the stanction thinking the c-clip might be leaking also and put it back together the topping out sort of stopped but still no compression adjustment and cant lock the fork out.... anyone have any ideas? also my rebound on the bottom won't turn at all with an allen key

Another question when I put the top part back in the stanction should I have the blue knob turned all the way closed or all the way open?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
What year and model Boxxer is it? And did you say you've already pulled the damper apart and couldn't find anything wrong?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Usually the symptoms you describe indicate a broken stanchion at the base (where the circlip holds the seal head in)... the damper oil escapes into the lowers which means you lose damping (hence the topout) and the ability to lockout your fork.

An easy way to check is to undo the 3 crown bolts on the damper side, and try to slide the stanchion out of the fork (if broken, it will slide right out).. hopefully it's something else, but it's worth checking.

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
ok so I pulled it all apart again, checked the c-clip on bottom it seemed to be in place. I dumped all the oil out again in the stanchion, but the thing I did different is not burping the leg on the lower this time I just left it fully out where it first engages the bolt. I added 10wt oil (150ml) this time because its all I could get ahold of around where im at. It is now working better then it was I can get the fork to lockout about halfway when its fully closed now and I wasnt getting nothing at all and was able to push it to the bottom fairly easy even when fully closed before so im getting some compression back ( it still won't lockout at the top like it should when its fully closed)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Is the rebound damping working properly now / not topping out?

Assuming it is, there's only one other thing I can think of - sometimes the spring on the return valve on the compression damper fails (it gets tangled up in itself)... and so it doesn't close properly on the compression stroke / takes a while to close, robbing all damping until it gets forced shut by oil pressure.

It's the little silver plate / blue piston assembly, might be worth removing it (2mm allen key) and having a look at the spring assy inside it.

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
ok so is the silver plate / blue piston the top or bottom? Im going to take the fork apart tomorrow and try to get it working.