Quantcast

Avalanche Roco vrs. stock roco?

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Looking to get a bit more performance out of my bike and looking at upgrading my suspension this winter. Currently have a Corsair Maelstrom that has treated me better then any bike I've owned in years, it's running the stock Roco WC.

No major complaints about my Roco but it's starting to feel like it needs rebuilt. Been thinking of sending it to Avalanche. Would this be a big upgrade or should I save a few more dollars up and just get a new shock?

Seems allot of guys are running Elka's on their Corsairs and race about how much better it is.

So how I guess my main question is how much better is a Avy roco vrs. stock roco?

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Perhaps some rider background might help:
I race elite DH in provincial points series events and try and to the odd Canada Cup when I can. Ride down hill on average four or five nights a week so the bike gets tons of use. Mix of steep, rocky, tech DH with some high speed gap jumps and the odd 10+ foot drop tossed in for fun.

Would I be right in assuming on a performance per dollar ratio that I am I better off pimping out my roco rather then buying a new shock? (Avy, CCDB, Elka, other?)

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
I can't speak for Craig's work, but my stock Roco was redone by PUSH (back when they were offering the service), with very similar upgrades that Avalanche performs. I was fairly happy with the stock Roco, except for a few small things, and PUSH nailed all those little issues. I'm really happy with the Roco now.. no real complaints.

Similar to Avy - PUSH installed higher quality seals, a high-flow piston, and did a custom revalve. The high-flow piston is a great upgrade over stock, really opens the shock up on the highspeed stuff. Higher quality and more durable seals are nice, i guess, but it's not like my Roco was leaking oil before.
I think the revalve was really THE biggest advantage of this upgrade, it took a stock "set up for the average Joe rider" shock, and tuned it up to my frame, weight and riding style.

One constant disappointment with the Roco, has always been the rebound range. It's pretty much worthless until you get to the last 2 turns, and then the smallest adjustments can make a difference between packing-up and bucking-bronco. As such, it can be quite difficult to tune. PUSH does nothing to improve this (neither does Avalanche as far as I know), because it requires machining a totally different rebound needle for the shock.

If you're cool with the Roco rebound, then I'd go ahead with the Avy upgrade, instead of purchasing a new shock. The new piston and the custom revalve are very likely to get you that extra edge you're looking for, and should be cheaper than a new shock.

If you expect your rebound to have a lot more range of adjustment than the stock Roco, then start looking for a new shock.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Nothing performs like an Avy that has been fully tuned for you.
If you're going to spend the money, they are very well worth every penny.
I bought mine in '03 & it still works flawlessly.:thumb:

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
I can't speak for Craig's work, but my stock Roco was redone by PUSH (back when they were offering the service), with very similar upgrades that Avalanche performs. I was fairly happy with the stock Roco, except for a few small things, and PUSH nailed all those little issues. I'm really happy with the Roco now.. no real complaints.

Similar to Avy - PUSH installed higher quality seals, a high-flow piston, and did a custom revalve. The high-flow piston is a great upgrade over stock, really opens the shock up on the highspeed stuff. Higher quality and more durable seals are nice, i guess, but it's not like my Roco was leaking oil before.
I think the revalve was really THE biggest advantage of this upgrade, it took a stock "set up for the average Joe rider" shock, and tuned it up to my frame, weight and riding style.

One constant disappointment with the Roco, has always been the rebound range. It's pretty much worthless until you get to the last 2 turns, and then the smallest adjustments can make a difference between packing-up and bucking-bronco. As such, it can be quite difficult to tune. PUSH does nothing to improve this (neither does Avalanche as far as I know), because it requires machining a totally different rebound needle for the shock.

If you're cool with the Roco rebound, then I'd go ahead with the Avy upgrade, instead of purchasing a new shock. The new piston and the custom revalve are very likely to get you that extra edge you're looking for, and should be cheaper than a new shock.

If you expect your rebound to have a lot more range of adjustment than the stock Roco, then start looking for a new shock.
Quoted for 90% truth :thumb: if TF tuned PUSH a Roco the rebound gets completely overhauled too. Unfortunately they've just changed their website so I'm not able to find the (or any PUSH) details now. It was probably the key part of the upgrade

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
One constant disappointment with the Roco, has always been the rebound range. It's pretty much worthless until you get to the last 2 turns, and then the smallest adjustments can make a difference between packing-up and bucking-bronco.
I have revalved roco wc for my maelstrom some time ago. If You want to have bigger range of rebound adjustment You have to remove some of 11mm x 0.1mm (IIRC) shims on the compression side. Piston bolt will be screwed more , and a gap between rebound needle and piston bolt will be smaller, so You will have higher range of adjustment. If You want to , i will send You my shim setup for roco-maelstrom in 2 weeks (when i will be at home and i will find my notes).

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Quoted for 90% truth :thumb: if TF tuned PUSH a Roco the rebound gets completely overhauled too. Unfortunately they've just changed their website so I'm not able to find the (or any PUSH) details now. It was probably the key part of the upgrade
PUSH no longer does ROCOs(believe it was parts sourcing issue w/Marz)

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I have revalved roco wc for my maelstrom some time ago. If You want to have bigger range of rebound adjustment You have to remove some of 11mm x 0.1mm (IIRC) shims on the compression side. Piston bolt will be screwed more , and a gap between rebound needle and piston bolt will be smaller, so You will have higher range of adjustment. If You want to , i will send You my shim setup for roco-maelstrom in 2 weeks (when i will be at home and i will find my notes).
I never thought I'd see a post on RM that called for LESS shimz.

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
good to know, wasn't aware that TF does that.

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
would love to take a look at your notes, if you get a chance to find them :thumb:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Something doesn't make sense about this. When the rebound circuit is fully closed that needle should basically be butting up against the bottom of the bolt. Removing spacer shims would only bring the bolt down, have the same range, but just less clicks at the adjuster. Almost all shocks have their rebound needles setup so they'll "bottom" against the bolt at the end of their adjustment range.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Something doesn't make sense about this. When the rebound circuit is fully closed that needle should basically be butting up against the bottom of the bolt. Removing spacer shims would only bring the bolt down, have the same range, but just less clicks at the adjuster. Almost all shocks have their rebound needles setup so they'll "bottom" against the bolt at the end of their adjustment range.
Don't know how about Yours roco , but on "standard" valving on mine , I could spin the adjuster endlessly (needle was not touching the piston bolt). Rebound (HSR) circuit was shimmed preatty heavily, and the needle valve (LSR) was doing nothing, except last three or two clicks in the "end" ("end", because i could screw the adjuster so much, that it would came out on the other side of the eyelet, if You know what i mean). Removing some of those shims (there were like 10 of them, but i don't remember exactly; it was almost year ago) helped in my case.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Don't know how about Yours roco , but on "standard" valving on mine , I could spin the adjuster endlessly (needle was not touching the piston bolt). Rebound (HSR) circuit was shimmed preatty heavily, and the needle valve (LSR) was doing nothing, except last three or two clicks in the "end" ("end", because i could screw the adjuster so much, that it would came out on the other side of the eyelet, if You know what i mean). Removing some of those shims (there were like 10 of them, but i don't remember exactly; it was almost year ago) helped in my case.
That is the first Roco I've heard about with that characteristic. All the ones I've ever checked out have come to a very defined end of the adjuster range. To remove the plastic adjuster from the eyelet housing, the piston bolt would have to be removed and only then could the needle be pushed up high enough for it to come through.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
My stock HSR had 3 shims (if memory serves) and already felt a bit heavy. 3x moar FRD's sounds retarded. Had my roco Pushed in February and haven't touched it ever since... good shock!