Quantcast

average pay for a bike mechanic?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
anyone have any idea what the average pay for a mechanic is with a year experience in a shop and twenty five years of riding experience?

ulockjustice

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
after working at a shop in a major city for 8+ years i was making 12$ an hour (this was 5 years ago, mostly part time work while in school, with a few full time summers).

with a years experience id say prob in the 8ish an hour range maybe? ive been out of the loop for a while.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I was making $10/hr in college working part-time, but I was the #2 mechanic in the shop and the only person other than the head mechanic that could competantly work on disc brakes and suspension. This was 2000-2003 and I had been in shop wrenching/bike building since 1999.

In 2006, I was making $16/hr cash working at an ultra high end road/tri shop. I was the second mechanic again. At this point I had 7 years shop experience, 3 years of which I was the mechanic for a collegiate team and a local ex/semi-pro team DH team.

It's hard to make more than $30k/yr working in a bike shop.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I was making $10 hr. 2.5 years ago, I was head mechanic/manager. If I was to go back I would expect $15hr. but I also have 10+ under my belt in shops and also have the skills to sell ice to eskimos now.

1 year exp. I would say the $8hr range until you can prove yourself to be a really good tech. The area of the counrty you are in also plays a huge roll.

marz66

Chimp
Dec 16, 2008
At those wages it's only something you could do on the side, part-time. How's the discounts?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That's just it, it's full-time wages. The discount is cost+10%+tax usually. You also get pro-deal on most bikes, but you are usually limited to 2/year.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Want to make a small fortune working as a bike mechanic?

Start with a big one.

(I think I first heard that when I was 13 and got an under-the-table gig at my local shop.)