Quantcast

Avid BB7's or Juicy5's?

TypicalNinja

Chimp
May 26, 2007
BC Canada
Hey guys,

I currently have Hayes Sole disc brakes that came stock on the bike, a Norco Six One, but it wasn't stock because I got a deal. Basically the brakes and fork were cheaper then stock but some other parts were actually upgraded from stock.

In any case, I don't know if I should go mechanical or hydraulic. I weight 140 lbs and it's going to mostly be used for free ride and jumps.

I want a good brake for less then $150, and the BB7's being even cheaper is a nice plus. But would the Juicy5's have noticeably better modulation and stopping power?

TypicalNinja

Chimp
May 26, 2007
BC Canada
I'll probably go with the Juicy5's then. Only reason I asked was because after reading a whole bunch of reviews for both, it seems like the BB7's got excellent reviews and the Juicy5's got pretty mediocre ones. But I guess people just have higher expectations for the Juicy's.

mace2

Chimp
Oct 27, 2004
juicy's are my favourite brake by far... more so than the saints i have now, and definitely more than the HFX-9s i once had. go for it.

TypicalNinja

Chimp
May 26, 2007
BC Canada
Are the ones at Full Cycle and Santa Cruz's shop the 2007 ones though? If not what year are they?

EDIT: Nevermind, they are 2006. Would there be a difference in performance between 06's and 07's? The 07's seem to use a newer rotor design.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
the 7 and 5 are exactly the same except for the pad contact point adjust. they perform equally the 5 is just less adjustable. as for 06 vs 07, no performance gain ther either, just a prettier color. i have an 07 front and 06 rear and cannot tell the difference except when I look at them (the pcp nob is metal on 07 as opposed to plastic on 06 which is nice)