Quantcast

Avid Code 5 disk brakes, why do they lock?

ballz

Chimp
Jun 27, 2009
i have a 2008 divinci wilson 1 with Avid Code 5 hyd disk brakes

http://is.pinkbike.com/photo/1462/pbpic1462713.jpg

now why is it that every time my wheels are off my bike, the calipers are free and the brake handle gets pressed all the way down that my piston does not return back... happened to me last time i went to the hill and the bike was in my trunk, guess the way i had it place in my car, my brake handle was being pressed on... now i had to crack my caliper open, press my piston back into its retracted position, lose fluid and bleed my brakes..... is it because the piston is over extended, because the disk not being there? what is up with this? how the hell do i retract my piston without having to open up my calipers and bleeding my brakes???

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Forget bleeding your brakes, take a piece of cardboard or plastic and jam it in between your pads when you take your wheel out. "...doctor it hurts when I do this, what should I do?".

To get your pistons retracted get a big ass screwdriver, cover the tip in some tape and gently pry them apart. If you pry the pistons directly, use a 10mm box end wrench. If you push the pistons, the center post will break, and you will be buying new pistons.

But holy poo man, just watch your levers. Don't pull them when the wheel is out, and put a block in when you're traveling with them. Any bike shop will probably have a bin full of pad spacers, just go ask for one.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
can I gravity bleed Avid Code's ?
or do I need the bleed kit ?

thanks
Find a good local shop and ask to watch while they bleed them. You should probably have a walk through the first time. Yah never squeeze Hydro levers with no rotor. Have the shop spread the pistons for you as well because its really simply but I could see it going really wrong. YOu dont want fluid on ANYTHING painted or on the rotors or pads, Bleeding should be about $20ish at a good shop have them tackle it