Quantcast

Avid disk riders!!!

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
I was just on their site and read that they now have 185 & 203mm rotors!!! And here I was jury-rigging adaptors and hayes rotors to make my own!:eek: ;)

Anyone here riding them yet? They were supposed to be out on the 4th of this month. I MUST KNOW!:help: My LBS didn't even know about this (as I told them about building my Franken-brakes!):D

mtbtuc8700

Chimp
Nov 14, 2001
CT
I don't know if they have released them yet or not. I was told today that they are waiting on there 2002 product shipment for early March, I don't know if this includes the rotors or not.
My questions is will we be able to find an adapter to fit a 185 mm rotor on like a fox fork? Ask Instigator about the 8 in rotors, he is running a 8 in hayes in the front of his FR bike with the Avid Mech.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
I just got in touch with Avid, and it looks like the kits won't be out until April:( . So...I'll be hand bending the two I have now REPEATEDLY until then:think: ...no sense in buying new 165's now, eh? :D

G

gravity

i know standard QR forks aren't supposed to use 8" rotors, but what about the 7" (185mm) ones? are they ok to use, or do they still put too much torque on the fork?

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
makes the adaptor to fit its forks...then I'm going to use them!:eek: :D I have not heard about any issues with the fork mounts and bigger rotors...I've seen bikes in shops with 8"ers on QRs. Good question tho....I'd be interested to know if that was a a fact.

G

gravity

was in the LBS yesterday, the mechanic there confirmed that 8" rotors shouldn't really be used with QR dropouts cos it puts a lot of stress on the fork that twists it under braking and can (in extreme cases) affect fork performance under braking.

also, in a worst-case scenario, in the most extreme conditions, if you braked as hard and suddenly as possible, and if your fork was fully extended and somehow defective, and you were going really really fast, THEORETICALLY you could break the fork. theoretically.

but yeah it can make the fork twist a bit (noticeably) and the rotors can be displaced a bit easier if they are bigger.

also, in the LBS i noticed something interesting, the Avid rotors have little grooves so they clean the entire pad, whereas Hayes rotors don't. so between Hayes and Avid, i think Avid rotors are better. then again they might not hold up as well under heat.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Yeah, I like the Avid rotors better too. I wonder how many miles other riders are typically getting from their disks? I feel like I blow through rotors...a couple have been hits:rolleyes: , but I've gone through three from warping in less than 1000miles:eek: :think: ! One of the guys I ride with has Hayes hydros, and hes gone through three or four of their rotors from warping....damn, this is an expensive addiction!:D

G

gravity

i can't understand how people can break so much stuff all the time.... on a bike, if 75% of the components are undamaged after two years, you'd be doin alright. if you bought a new car, and 25% of the stuff needed repairing or replacing within two years....... i imagine you'd be pretty pissed off. i can't see why bike stuff isn't made stronger....

Avid discs on the new bike!

Erci

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
NJ
The only problem with Avid anything is that they promise to release something and keep postponing the date. Same thing happened with their Hydro brakes (never came out at all). Release of 7 and 8" rotors/adapters has been delayed 3 times so far.
I couldn't wait any longer, so I bought hayes rotors and adapters. The only modification I had to make was to replace a cone shaped washer and a concave washer with a simple flat washer. Calipers can still be aligned laterally, but you can't get the angle alignment, not that anyone should need it.
Haven's had enough time on the bike to speak for durability of this setup, but otherwise, it seems to work/line up just fine.

Also, zokie does not recommend using rotors bigger than 6" on their QR forks. I've seen pics on Pinkbike with dropouts broken off due to using 8" rotors on z1's. Bad idea.

Erci

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
NJ
Originally posted by Nobody
just be sure to get proper contact between the brake pad and rotor. if even 1mm of the pad is above the edge of the rotor you will eventually wear the pads to where they come in contact with each other and not the disc resulting in a loss of braking. .... Avid brakes with the standard 165mm rotors grab like mad so I personally don't see any reason to go bigger but if you are dying to I would just wait a month and get the real deal!

Sean@Velo Pro (not Randolph)
Yeah, that's why I had to swap out the standard washers and use plain flat ones. Rotor is aligned with pads exactly like it was aligned with stock rotors/adapters.
165mm DO grab like mofo's, but since I was setting these up on my DH-only bike, I wanted most power I could have.
If 8" rotors/adapters ever do come out, I'll get them, just to be on the safe side.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by gravity
i can't understand how people can break so much stuff all the time.... on a bike, if 75% of the components are undamaged after two years, you'd be doin alright. if you bought a new car, and 25% of the stuff needed repairing or replacing within two years....... i imagine you'd be pretty pissed off. i can't see why bike stuff isn't made stronger....

Ok let's look at this,

If I took an average new car and I was a giant person that weighed 6.4 times the car, (using the ratio of 160 lb person to 25 lb bike), and I drove around on top off the car in the dirt, and jumped the car off anything and everything in site, and put it in the garage dirty and wet after every drive, and did minimal if any maintenance, yeah I think the car might need a part or two the first couple years.

;)

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Originally posted by Erci

Also, zokie does not recommend using rotors bigger than 6" on their QR forks. I've seen pics on Pinkbike with dropouts broken off due to using 8" rotors on z1's. Bad idea.
That might be the story that Marzocchi gives you about not using 8 in...but I've found another reason...I got 6in XTs in the front on my JrT. If I lay on the front brake (feathering between full lock on a just barely locked) it will actually pull the axle out of the dropout. I found this out when I noticed that my front wheel wasn't properly aligned ...as in it looked like it was dished off to the disk rotor side. I was straddling my bike and bent over the bars to reach down to undo my front QR. The moment I released the front QR I felt the right axle settle itself back into the dropout...and mind you this is braking with a stock XT 6inch setup. With an 8in I could see it pulling the axle far enough out to where it could definietly turn into a problem. Now you say.."why not just tighten the qr down real tight?" well according to people who know more about bikes than I do...this is a BIG no no. Simply put QR where never designed with the anticipaton of ever using disks.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
For the guy using the JR.T. According to Marz, you can use an 8" rotor safely on you QR fork. I guess they think the added stiffness of the triple makes up for it. I would be willing to bet you are not using a shimano QR axle up front are you? Shimano's are all metal and kick ass! I had the same problem on my Kaboom with a z-5 and the stock Kona alloy QR lever untill I siwtched to a shimano QR axle. The axle would walk right out of the dropout with an avid 165mm brake. A Shimano QR will fix your issue.

Sean

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by gravity

Its the engine Holmes. A car engine can haul around a lot of steel, so everything can be big and burley. Our puny legs can hardly keep a bike in motion so everything must be as light and as energy efficient as possible. Sure, a 200 pound bike would last forever, but what fun would that be?

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by punkassean
For the guy using the JR.T. According to Marz, you can use an 8" rotor safely on you QR fork. I guess they think the added stiffness of the triple makes up for it. I would be willing to bet you are not using a shimano QR axle up front are you? Shimano's are all metal and kick ass! I had the same problem on my Kaboom with a z-5 and the stock Kona alloy QR lever untill I siwtched to a shimano QR axle. The axle would walk right out of the dropout with an avid 165mm brake. A Shimano QR will fix your issue.

Sean
Yeah man. I only use XT skewers, and I guess thats the reason that I'd think nothing of upgrading to a bigger rotor! I've never even thought of my axle slipping.:rolleyes: Looks like the kit are only a couple of weeks away...mmmmmmm,new stuff:D