Quantcast

avid juicy 7 levers have a "squishy" feeling

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
hey guys, my juicy 7 levers have this "squishy" feeling in them for a while, im wondering how can i fix this? clean them? lube?

RaID

Turbo Monkey
I never felt any juicies that have been rock solid in the feel
always a bit squishy. Ive tried bleeding mine, it makes an improvement
but doesnt really fix the issue

but there still is a big difference between them and my 06 saints which are
very solid

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
How old are they? Get any rubber fragments when you were bleeding? Do both feel squishy? Did you use a new fluid bottle when you bled them (if not how long has the brake fluid been open)?

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Could be seals man. U sure there were no very tiny bubbles in the line when you bled it?

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Bleed it again at the lever. You have to be incredibly meticulous about it and follow the manual exactly. Also, when you remove the syringe, make sure there's no pressure in there, or it will draw air into the system as the syringe is unscrewed.

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
Yea, well the bike shop bled them last time, i was kinda skeptical about their job, i guess i might have to try it myself.... but the brakes dont feel too bad, its just when i pull on the levers quite hard that i hear this almost "creeky" noise if you guys know what i mean, i know juicy's have a squishy feel, but this is a spougee/creeky feel hard to explain..

Last edited:

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
we were getting a lot of juicy 7's feeling like butt as oem on bikes. we tried rebleeding and it worked for half of them. there were a few where we tore the lever apart and did the old take it apart and rebuild it trick and they worked fine. i remember the seals were rubbing real bad like they were too large or something for the body and were causing them to not return really fast. a little dot fluid and the rebuild did the trick tho and they have been fine.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Yea, well the bike shop bled them last time, i was kinda skeptical about their job, i guess i might have to try it myself.... but the brakes dont feel too bad, its just when i pull on the levers quite hard that i hear this almost "creeky" noise if you guys know what i mean, i know juicy's have a squishy feel, but this is a spougee/creeky feel hard to explain..
I talked to Sram about this at Sea Otter with my old Juicy 7's. It's actually worn lever pivots (cause of the creaking). They said there is a lever overhaul kit you can get that will solve this. I think it also comes with new seals and such. I never bothered with the kit since my brakes have plenty of power; they just make that creaking noise you described. There could also be a seal issue in addition to the lever pivot issue too. Are they still powerful and work good while riding?

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
I talked to Sram about this at Sea Otter with my old Juicy 7's. It's actually worn lever pivots (cause of the creaking). They said there is a lever overhaul kit you can get that will solve this. I think it also comes with new seals and such. I never bothered with the kit since my brakes have plenty of power; they just make that creaking noise you described. There could also be a seal issue in addition to the lever pivot issue too. Are they still powerful and work good while riding?
Yes the brakes still seem to have plenty of power, its just the creaky feeling as you described im getting, i guess its not to big of a deal,

Oct 14, 2007
Quick Question,

Are the master cylinder "springs" coated with a light oil soluble grease by manufacturer's to give it a smooth return (similar to fork springs but in a very minute quantity)...wouldn't this alleged grease be deemed potential harmful as it could penetrate in certain of the brake's cavities causing a potential sludge it up?

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
my juicy's felt like crap, I bled them with only a slight improvement. Finally I put new pads in..... FIXED. it seems the pads get soft or something, after a bunch of drastic heat cycles (ie. a week at whistler).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
"Squishy" and "creaky" are different. Squishy ordinarily means a soft lever feel, which typically means you need a better bleed. "Creaky" can usually be fixed just by lubing the lever pivots, or replacing the pivots if needed.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
My juicy's were very firm. The only brakes I've felt that were firmer were running goodridge lines. Keep trying to bleed them, and if that doesn't work, I guess a rebuild is in order.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
"Squishy" and "creaky" are different. Squishy ordinarily means a soft lever feel, which typically means you need a better bleed. "Creaky" can usually be fixed just by lubing the lever pivots, or replacing the pivots if needed.
Exactly.

Properly bled avids are about the least squishy feeling brakes I've ever used.

When they're dialed it should feel like your lever just hits something and stops.