Quantcast

Avid Speed Dial Levers (20 questions)

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I figure I'll add some Avid Speed Dial levers to go with the Avid Mech discs I will soon purchase, and after looking at mtbr it appears people like the SD 5's better than the 7's. And what about the Ti's? For those who have used them, what has been your experience? Are they similar to the AD3's, but with more adjustment? How do they hold up in a crash? Can you just bend 'em back and keep riding like some have suggested?
:confused:

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
i don t see why people would like the 5s more than the 7s...
im pretty sure the only difference is the little slits (or viewports) where you can see the speed dial adjustment on the 7s...otherwise theyre the same levers...

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
The speed dials are nice. Like Dirty said the only rear diff is the view ports for the speed dial adjustment. They work really well and make getting the feel you want out of your brakes really easy. As far as bending levers back, they're no different from any other lever I've used, you can only bend em so many times.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I find that I don't really use the speed dial, I set it once where I like it and that's where it's stayed for the last 7 months. I guess that the sd5 would be just as good as the sd7 because it's cheaper and you don't really need to see where the adjuster is after you decide how you like the brake to feel.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I decided I'll pick up a set of SD 7's soon. Cambria has a decent price on them. What's the difference between the 7's and the Ti's? A little weight savings and the color? They are only $4 different in price. :confused:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Originally posted by berkshire_rider
I decided I'll pick up a set of SD 7's soon. Cambria has a decent price on them. What's the difference between the 7's and the Ti's? A little weight savings and the color? They are only $4 different in price. :confused:
Originally posted by Ebasil
The "Ti" levers are the 7's with ti bolts and a different logo, but are otherwise identical.
!!!

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
The Speed Dial Levers (any of them) make it easier to set up the Avid Mechs initially, but after that I haven't really used the Speed Dial feature. And the Avid Mechs are easy enough to set up without the Speed Dial. I guess it really comes down to whether or not you really care about saving that whole five minutes in your brake setup, and your preference of lever shape.

D

dwnwrd

anyone ever found replacement levers? i've bent and straightened mine a few times. i could buy a new set for $35 but it seems like a waste if i can just replace the handles. i can't seem to find them anywhere.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I run the SD 5's on some hayes disks and they work great. The speed dial works, but it may slip down from it's setting sometimes. They are cheap and durable, and improved the braking feel of the hayes over the crappy stock levers. With the SD 7's, wouldn't those little view ports just let in more dirt and contaminants?:confused: