Quantcast

Avid XO 4 piston brake

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
One has to blind not to see the quality of Sram products simply isn't what it used to be ( top notch ) and its now hardly on par with the competition IMO.
Not really, it's always been rubbish (derailleurs made of cast alloy and plastic, brakes that constantly need attention) - if anything they've improved over the years, but they really need to spend more time fixing flaws with existing products before moving onto new ones.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
P-spec, Are you fvckin hammered when you decide to post replies???

Holy ****e man, my 3 month old cousin can structure a sentence better than you. You need help.
We have allready gone threw this,secondly I talk and write 2 diff languages perfecly.

I would like you to structure a 3 phrase paragraph for me in french explaining how yuo love mountain biking.

Quit being a fruit cup and quit crying about writing and grammar on the internet,or go on a poetry forum and talk about grammar and words.

panzy

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
We have allready gone threw this,secondly I talk and write 2 diff languages perfecly.

I would like you to structure a 3 phrase paragraph for me in french explaining how yuo love mountain biking.

Quit being a fruit cup and quit crying about writing and grammar on the internet,or go on a poetry forum and talk about grammar and words.

panzy
its not just the grammar and syntax, its more often the stellar commentary that is out of reach of the typical mind that finds you conveying your ideas in a less than realistic, or believable, fashion.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Not really, it's always been rubbish (derailleurs made of cast alloy and plastic, brakes that constantly need attention) - if anything they've improved over the years, but they really need to spend more time fixing flaws with existing products before moving onto new ones.
I resisted SRAM for a long time, they are definitely quieter derailleurs and (when they are new/working) shift perfectly - its just that I dont like feeling every shift as if someone struck my frame with a hammer, and Id prefer if the damn thing wouldnt wear out its pivot in <1 season for 100+ bucks a pop. Durability of derailleurs has been a SRAM issue since well before the RS/Avid integration.

At least they are consistent..........

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006

panzy
I do believe he is french so he could probably pull that off pretty easy.

Aug 23, 2011
Have a Hope tech v2 which I was really happy with until I hit the lever strait into a tree and sprung a leak in the hose (I think). - the price I really like them, but have been happy with my avids thus far. Had some old juicy 7's which were great for a while and then they kinda...just I dont know. Never have run sram shifting parts though.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
if i worked for either company i would be laughing at this thread a bit...both companies have great line ups...

For a while sram def had a leg up when x.o first came out and that dual shift lever blob was all shimano could offer. But if you buy an x.o or xtr drivetrain and arent happy well...nothing can save you

The only component lacking from either seems to be srams brakes, odd bleeding and lack of reliability. This Palestine vs. Isreal attitude about the 2 companies is somewhat silly.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
so this thread turned into another sram vs shimano one... while nobody mentioned that that doesn't look like a code caliper.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
that. I have no interest in SRAM's components anymore. They're just so cheap/cheaply made.
I don't get that, as far as I am aware XTR and Saint is still made in Japan and all Sram gear is Taiwanese(and Chinese?). I would expect their top end products to be either better built or a bit cheaper than XTR/Saint but it doesn't really seem that way.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sorry, I meant cheap as in plasticky and flimsy. My saint derailleur felt way more significant than my X7. My XTR shifters had no play and smooth action compared to any SRAM I've tried. My juicies felt like toys compared to my XTs or saints. There's just a certain something lacking (tolerances, maybe?) that my shimano toys don't.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Sorry, I meant cheap as in plasticky and flimsy. My saint derailleur felt way more significant than my X7. My XTR shifters had no play and smooth action compared to any SRAM I've tried. My juicies felt like toys compared to my XTs or saints. There's just a certain something lacking (tolerances, maybe?) that my shimano toys don't.
does your saint der feel way more significant then an lx, or slx? because thats what x7 is comparable to depending on the year

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My current XT and previous SLX felt better than my X7 does now. The Saint is of course chunkier, but it doesn't really feel better built than say the XT...but you know what they say about opinions....my older LX stuff is definitely similar to my X7 stuff now.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I must be the only unlucky person with Hope brakes, I have now learned that when you buy a Hope brake it is a good idea to pull exerything aprt and put caliper grease on every moving part.

I've had dramas with sticky pistons on two sets and one of my V2's master cyl felt crap from day one and after pulling it down the anno had worn through in the bore. I'll still go for the Magura brake next purchase I think. After seeing friends running Avids with rubber bands holding the levers in and how often they need bleeding I'll probably never own a set.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I never had a problem with hope quality, they always worked, they just worked so poorly it wasn't funny. Three finger braking was different. DH04, horrible brake.