Quantcast

awesome senators

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
I love it-- "My grandpa saved your grandpa in dubya-dubya 2"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59326-2003Feb11.html

U.S. lawmakers, angry over France's and Germany's opposition to the administration's Iraq policies, are considering retaliatory gestures such as trade sanctions against the French and pressing for the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Germany.

"France and Germany are losing credibility by the day, and they are losing, I think, status in the world," House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Tex.) said yesterday. "They are walking a fine line that is very dangerous."

House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.), angered by France's policies on agriculture as well as on Iraq, has told associates he would like to target two of that nation's most sacred drinks: water and wine. At a GOP retreat this past weekend, Hastert talked to House members about slapping restrictions on French exports of bottled water and fine wine.

Hastert has instructed Republican colleagues to determine whether Congress should pass legislation that would impose new health standards on imported bottles of Evian and other popular French waters. France, the top exporter of water to the United States, sold 65 million gallons in 2001, according to the Beverage Marketing Corporation, a U.S. research firm.

The speaker also is exploring whether the United States should require "bright orange warning labels" on French wines that are clarified with bovine blood, a top aide said.

"People should know how the French make their wine," Hastert spokesman John Feehery said. Republicans are trying to determine how much French wine on the market has been clarified, or essentially made clearer, by using bovine blood, a process banned after the scare involving bovine spongiform encephalopathy -- or "mad cow disease" -- in the late 1990s.

Two U.S. wine experts contacted by The Washington Post said a few French wineries used bovine blood as a clarifier before the ban. Such a warning label for any wine would be akin to a "Mr. Yuck" stamp, one expert said.

Feehery said Hastert is frustrated with the French for blocking certain U.S. farm exports and, more recently, for opposing President Bush's strategy for confronting Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.

France and Germany are pushing a new U.N. resolution that would give inspectors more time and resources to verify the elimination of Iraq's weapons programs.

There is also growing momentum on Capitol Hill to move many of the 71,455 U.S. troops from Germany, lawmakers said. Marine Gen. James Jones, the U.S. commander in Europe, recently briefed lawmakers on an emerging plan to radically change the U.S. military presence in Europe, in great part by moving troops out of Germany. The idea is to make the nation's European-based military lighter and more flexible and less reliant on a permanent station in Germany, according to White House and congressional officials.

House Armed Services Committee Chairman Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) said French and German attitudes toward U.S. policy in Iraq will make the modernization plan easier to sell to lawmakers. Hunter said the plan preceded the latest diplomatic dustup, but more House members are taking note of it. "Anything we can do to hurt them without hurting us, I will support," Rep. Peter T. King (R-N.Y.) said. If the United States moved its troops elsewhere, Hunter said, "you'd see great satisfaction among armed services members and in Congress in general that we are basing our troops on the soil of a strong ally." He said Germany's "tears of gladness of the sacrifice Americans have made for their freedom have dried very quickly."

Hunter yesterday announced plans to hold congressional hearings "looking at moving the United States away from maintaining heavy divisions in Europe, especially Germany."

A bipartisan group of senators, including John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Joseph I. Lieberman (D-Conn.), yesterday announced plans to introduce a resolution thanking 18 European allies for standing with the United States -- and against France and Germany.

"France and Germany are in the headlines these days -- and they are important allies of America -- but in this case, the tone and volume of their dissent is in danger of drowning out the voice of a nearly united Europe," Lieberman said.

DeLay is trying a more personal approach. "I was at a celebration of India's Independence Day," he told reporters, "and a Frenchman came walking up to me and started talking to me about Iraq, and it was obvious we were not going to agree. And I said, 'Wait a minute. Do you speak German?' And he looked at me kind of funny and said, 'No, I don't speak German.' And I said, 'You're welcome,' turned around and walked off."

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by patconnole

There is also growing momentum on Capitol Hill to move many of the 71,455 U.S. troops from Germany, lawmakers said.
I have no problem with this.

Where the 71k end up might be a problem, but more than likely I'm cool with that too. The North Korean Coast is nice this time of year, I hear. So's Turkey.

splat

Nam I am
I like it ! When they see how much they really rely on us for a lot of things , especially some economic factors, ther etunes might change !

And I said, 'Wait a minute. Do you speak German?' And he looked at me kind of funny and said, 'No, I don't speak German.' And I said, 'You're welcome,' turned around and walked off."
That is a great quote!

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by splat
I like it ! When they see how much they really rely on us for a lot of things , especially some economic factors, ther etunes might change !

That is a great quote!

Damn you! I hate that quote! (yes, it's clever though)
It reminds me of, "my dad could beat up your dad" or "We saved your ass in dubya dubya two." Another phrase I hate.

hate hate hate.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
The whole thing seems kind of childish, all they are saying is that allies of the USA are not allowed to air their own views or opinions of world events if they differ from our governments...

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
While we are at it we ought to slap an import tax on Peugot, Renault, and Citroen.

Oh wait.....nobody buys those POS cars anyway, nevermind.

Bovine blood as a clarifier for wine. Nasty.
Thanks, but I'll stick to CA and Aussie wines.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by Damn True
While we are at it we ought to slap an import tax on Peugot, Renault, and Citroen.

Oh wait.....nobody buys those POS cars anyway, nevermind.

Bovine blood as a clarifier for wine. Nasty.
Thanks, but I'll stick to CA and Aussie wines.
Dude... There are some GREAT Chilean wines out there right now.

Conch Y Toro makes a great red called Explodador

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Tenchiro
The whole thing seems kind of childish, all they are saying is that allies of the USA are not allowed to air their own views or opinions of world events if they differ from our governments...
I agree with this.

Disagreement is good.........checks and balances, see?

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Originally posted by Tenchiro
If the US government want support for a war in iraq they should start behaving properly and stop with the bullsh*t because it's hindering their case.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I can't believe people wonder why the US government is having trouble being taken seriously around the world.

Everytime we don't get what we want immediately from the world community, we're supposed to slap sanctions on the countries that disagree with us? I didn't realized that our glorious goverment was omnipotent.

What a bunch of assclowns. We're on the verge of entering a war which is going to cost $200 Billion, I'd imagine that the rebuilding will take somewhere in between 3-10 times that much. Osama ain't no where to be found, there is a rewrite to the PATRIOT act that would essentially poop on the constitution, and Bush wants to undertake this war while cutting taxes and creating another huge government department.

What do we have for all this? A five colored stoplight that's supposed to tell us if we need to be merely scared or terrified, and a bunch of corageous men on Capitol Hill who want to protect us from the dangers that lurk in a bottle of Evian.

An I'm an optimist.

The whole blood thing in the wine? It appears that it's not exactly what it sounds like:

Link

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by Silver
I can't believe people wonder why the US government is having trouble being taken seriously around the world.
We're taken seriously... like a heart attack. No one would be caught dead agreeing with us (except the Brit gov), but they're all pretty afraid of what we might do.

Sanctions of any kind would be a serious crybaby move, but I don't see anything wrong with pulling out troops.