Quantcast

AZ Rides and a little fun in Vegas

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
So I’ve done a couple fun rides over the past couple of months, but since it has typically been solo or only one (maybe two) other riders – I have not taken a lot of pictures. But here is what I do have:

First – La Milagrosa in Tucson, AZ.

Mandown had mentioned he’d be in the area, so I took a little trip. Great trail filled with fun fast, then some great tech sections. Mandown has more (and better) pictures from riding it the previous day… but here is what I’ve got:

Fun Tech section:

Mandown entering the same (camera crapped out so only 1 pic):

Up and over:

Lost of cactus out here lead to:

Scenery time, Nice little Valley:

Cool features out here – gonna have to hike it with the wife:

View on the way up:

Next is South Mountain. “Old Man”, one of the many options from the top of South Mountain. I’ve ridden National (and the second option - Mormon trail) up and down a few times, and was looking for something else. A few guys I talked to were saying that “Old Man” was tough… so I had to try.

I went along with the only guy willing to take me down the trail… not that fastest, but a great guy and more than willing to shuttle any day:

Some of the terrain:

I love to see vegetation growing on rocks:

Some riding shots:

Not exactly huge crashes... but – look out for Cacti:

And don’t know what happened here – but the trail is about 15 up to the right from buddy:

And a nice end to the day:

Another trip was “telegraph”. We actually started at the top of the main climb of National and made our way west, some fun trails to get across:

Dude… feet on pedals!!!

Just below the towers:

More fun trails:

This portion is pretty fun – do not fall towards your right – you’ll drop between 20 to 50 feet and land on a road:

Then we get to ‘Telegraph’ path – way to many hikers for it to be a regular DH run… but still fun:

Bruce got a nice perspective… but maybe should sit a little further back from the trail next time:

The last AZ ride is Desert Classic – fun XC ride that is not too challenging, but absolutely awesome right now because of all the recent rain. I actually ride there from my house, starting in from the road:

Entering the park:

Onto the main trails:

Damn it’s green! Looks like grazing land!!!

But it’s still mostly rocks:

And Finally – a little Vegas action, i.e Bootleg:

It was cold:

But the staff was friendly and accommodating of my bikes:

Only one problem.. bikes on the cart were a bit too tall:

Anyway – again not a lot of images., but a few. Newbie’s first time… not bad:

Me:

Favorite trail (Ginger) beat me like a red headed step child:

-BB- showed me up on every section of Ginger:

That’s about it… way out of shape and not riding nearly enough, but still getting out there when I can!!!

sixsixtysix

Monkey
Mar 6, 2005
Hell
Great post, nice to see BENDER! out there showing you around. You're more than welcome to join up with the old man crew that shuttles on Sunday's.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Great post, nice to see BENDER! out there showing you around. You're more than welcome to join up with the old man crew that shuttles on Sunday's.
Bender keeps updating me about the shuttle, and I'm on the distribution list, but the wife keeps me out 'till 2 or 3 on Saturdays... so that 8am shuttle is a little tough to make.

dirtrider2

Chimp
Jan 22, 2006
nam bomber
Don't worry, I don't think you're stuck in the 80's. I didn't see any hockey hair nor any Bon Jovi stickers on those bikes of yours. Now about that snow...

Dave

dft

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004
good post.
old man trial at somo is a wild one. it thought its the wildest trail i have ridden there, good stuff (more intense than holbert, gernonimo, mormem). pretty technical like goat camp, alittle more steep/slidy at portions.