Quantcast

Azonic Headlock?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Get the Woodman Capsule Extreme (duuuude!) it's lighter and more adjustable for different sized steerers. It also has a threaded hole in the bottom for a fender mount.

Mike

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I had one of those once. It worked fine. Probably heavier than a normal star nut. I over tightened it and the bolt snapped. I tend to do that with stuff.

mmaddmark

Monkey
Feb 24, 2004
the azonic headlocks are great.(bmx allen bolt is shorter than mtn bolt) but the fitting on the bottom may be too large for some forks. an answer bmx mini will fit the smaller openings. used both. both work well.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I've been running one on my '04 Stinky with a '03 Jr. T and have liked it so far. It doesnt work on my 05 Z-1 FR though because the bottom threaded part is too big for the fork. You do have to be carefull as far as bearing preload...It's pretty easy to over tighten it and ding up your headset races.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
all avalanche forks come with something like the azonic one but lighter. i've been using them for years. the woodman is nice, but that company doesn't exist anymore..

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Bushwhacker said:
I've been running one on my '04 Stinky with a '03 Jr. T and have liked it so far. It doesnt work on my 05 Z-1 FR though because the bottom threaded part is too big for the fork. You do have to be carefull as far as bearing preload...It's pretty easy to over tighten it and ding up your headset races.
I have an 05 Z1 FRIII going on an 04 Roast. Won't work huh?

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
stinkyboy said:
I have an 05 Z1 FRIII going on an 04 Roast. Won't work huh?
Nope...it sucked too...I took the JrT off because a seal was leaking and was going to put the Z on only to find out the Headlock incompatability issue...this was all 15 minutes before a ride. The Z now has a starnut and is living happily on the front of my Steelhead.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Bushwhacker said:
Nope...it sucked too...I took the JrT off because a seal was leaking and was going to put the Z on only to find out the Headlock incompatability issue...this was all 15 minutes before a ride. The Z now has a starnut and is living happily on the front of my Steelhead.
You got pix of your rides? Sounds like we have similar tastes... My 04 Stinky has an 04 Jr T though... :rolleyes:

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
yea i have the woodman one and I like it. well, i dont run with it cause of my hopey but it works good when i use it, lol

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Just pics of the Stinky...the Azonic is still under construction....It's hard to build my bikes when I have a son with the same tastes as mine and a daughter rapidly becoming a fanatic.

The Stink..

The HT's...Thats my 11 year olds Speshy and my Azonic

My sons bike with Halos and Holyrollers

My 24" Mosh cruiser

My 100th anniversary edition Schwinn XS...all original right down to the grips (with some assorted other old school BMX's in the back ground.

Lets just say I have a lot of bikes...that is about 1/4 of em all...when the the neighborhood kids are here no one gets left without a ride :)

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I have the Woodman on my Foes, I sort of stumbled upon it as the Azonics were out of stock everywhere when I built up the bike, but I am quite pleased, as for the Z1 dilema, I couldn't find anything to fit into my Z1fr1 so you may be S.O.L.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Nice!

Here's my baby:

Prolly getting an 06 Stinky Primo frame and an 888 before the end of the year. I almost bought a Steelhead a couple weeks ago. A buddy of mine has beat the crap out of his and has had no problems (other than about 5 derailler replacements...)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I use a properly installed star nut, with a properly installed headset in a properly prepped frame.

No problems.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Bushwhacker said:
It doesnt work on my 05 Z-1 FR though because the bottom threaded part is too big for the fork.
I had the same problem with a set of Monster T crowns. I ran the Headlock upside down to resolve the fit issues. As for the Headlock . . . I ridden one for the past 5 years without issue. I definitely prefer it to the Woodman, as I've seen and experienced bolts breaking with them.

toby

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have 3 azonic headlocks on all bikes!

I consider it cheap insurance against a loose front end. Once it's tight it's tight, no messing with the star nut, no setting it too deep or stripping it out. I love em, best $20 per bike I've spent.

Plus knowing things stay tight helps reduct headtube ovalization. Assuming everything is pressed in correctly, nothing is damaged or installed wrong. To me it's just insurance against things like that.

There are other companies that make the same thing. They're not super technical made pieces, so any one will probably do the trick but I'd definately go with a headlock and NOT one of those Hope/FSA topcap plug things. Those are a waste IMO.