Quantcast

Back to CA - good rides in SC?

SarahMaria

Chimp
Nov 24, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA
Hi!

I'm moving (back) to Northern California. Probably Felton/ Santa Cruz.
but when I used to live there 6 years ago I wasn't into Mtn biking (surfed and hiked instead) So now I ride alot, especially downhill/ freeride/ dirtjumps/ urban /skatepark...and is there good riding of that sort in Santa Cruz? I know there's good cross country- but I don't do much of that unless I feel like punishing myself. Or how far would I have to drive to hit some wicked trails? I hate driving :angry:

Oh, yeah...how far away is good snowboarding in the winter? And I'm going to be there apartment searching in 2 1/2 to three weeks.

Hi Sean, Hi Aaron.

later,
Sarah :love:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
SarahMaria said:
Hi!

I'm moving (back) to Northern California. Probably Felton/ Santa Cruz.
but when I used to live there 6 years ago I wasn't into Mtn biking (surfed and hiked instead) So now I ride alot, especially downhill/ freeride/ dirtjumps/ urban /skatepark...and is there good riding of that sort in Santa Cruz? I know there's good cross country- but I don't do much of that unless I feel like punishing myself. Or how far would I have to drive to hit some wicked trails? I hate driving :angry:

Oh, yeah...how far away is good snowboarding in the winter? And I'm going to be there apartment searching in 2 1/2 to three weeks.

Hi Sean, Hi Aaron.

later,
Sarah :love:

I'm pretty sure tahoe is going to be your closest snowboarding. While you're researching winter activities in that area you might as well come up and check out summer biking at northstar.

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
Hi Sarah... if you hate driving I'd look into housing on the westside of town. The UCSC trails are going to be your best bet for downhill/freeride stuff. There's also pretty good street riding up on campus. Good snow is about 4 hours away in the winter (tahoe).

I'm supposed to move in with my friend Paul (El_Chimichanga on RM) at the end of december, but we're trying to find someone to live with him for the fall. Drop him a PM if you're interested... he lives super close to the trails and rent is pretty cheap for SC.

Aaron

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
There is a lot of good riding in santa cruz. for DJ's there are several spots around town including some new DJ's at the polo fields in Aptos that are run by county parks. There is a lot of good freeriding at UCSC.... and I guess UCSC has the best urban too, but there are several other spots around town if you know where to look. The only skate park I ever go to is VANS in San Jose, which is alright. Or there is a tiny park off of Jose Ave in Santa Cruz. The best snowboarding is in Tahoe, which is about a 4 hour drive (if you time your trip around traffic) there are a few places to board that are closer, but extra hour drive to tahoe is worth it. Good luck on the move.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
What's up Sarah?

SC has plenty of great riding for what you're into, Aptos is in the process of finishing up some municipal DJ's (see scurban's post) and Aptos already has other DJ's. The UC trails are a blast as is Niscene Marks State Park. For snow it's Tahoe or Mammoth, there are other places a bit closer but lower altitude (shorter seasons, crappy snow)

Hopefully I see ya when you get out here!

p.s. All those Whistler/Shore bruises healed up yet?

Beardo

Chimp
Aug 25, 2004
Santa Cruz
Hey guys...newbie to RM here.
Kirkwood is pretty good for boardin also, got stuck about 20 miles from there last year until about 2:30pm while they cleared avalalnche areas so that sucked.
Westside of SC seems pretty cool, thats where Im at & its a 5 mile shuttle to the top of UCSC & a short ride along the RR tracks back home.

SarahMaria

Chimp
Nov 24, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA
punkassean said:
Hopefully I see ya when you get out here!

p.s. All those Whistler/Shore bruises healed up yet?
Yeah - my ribs and shoulder finally stopped aching last week. Good thing, too, becasue I need those endorphins for all of my new bumps and bruises.

I'll be in Santa Cruz late Sept lookin at apts, and Kirstin is racing xc at Mammoth (NORBA nationals, I thiknk )so I'm going to cheer her on :)

Does anyone know which is the closest airport to Mammoth?

I am very stoked right now.... :D :D :D

Sarah

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
SarahMaria said:
Yeah - my ribs and shoulder finally stopped aching last week. Good thing, too, becasue I need those endorphins for all of my new bumps and bruises.

I'll be in Santa Cruz late Sept lookin at apts, and Kirstin is racing xc at Mammoth (NORBA nationals, I thiknk )so I'm going to cheer her on :)

Does anyone know which is the closest airport to Mammoth?

I am very stoked right now.... :D :D :D

Sarah
Reno.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Hi Sarah,

I'm out here now but will be leaving when you arrive. Looks like I'll be out here every couple months though so we might be able to hit up some steeps together (once you find out where they are).

Steve

SarahMaria

Chimp
Nov 24, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA
"hey Steve! "

Good to hear from you. Are you in SF right now? Your new favorite place to vacation... :heart:

I'll be off and on in VA until late October.

later, Sarah