Quantcast

Bad Black trouble...

-PK-

Chimp
Dec 30, 2004
Santiago, Chile
I have a '02 manitou black elite fork with firm spring setup, on a hardtail bike, "XLR8 da bomb" like.

Yesterday made a perfect stairgap, landing on other stair. Whaen I stoped, noticed something strange... there's no dumping in my fork! was like a catapult! or that kiddy jumping stick...
I don't want to look inside the damper leg (I haven't a 20mm wrench)

Does somebody have an idea of what could it be?
(I see dead people... I'm frightened)...

-PK-

Chimp
Dec 30, 2004
Santiago, Chile
Oil level is still right. Springs are in place. The damper is lazy (like as it haven't any oil) but has plenty of it inside.

Thank you! but... any other idea?

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I had done this with a Boxxer about a month ago. :rolleyes: Crumpled a small piece at the base of the rebound side spring, and for some reason, allowed oil to flow freely. Take it to a trusted lbs and they can take care of the problem.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I had an old manitou SX-R that did the same thing to me, the only thing I could figure it might be is a lower seal that blows out and lets the oil go down in between the leg and stanchion rather than forcing it through the damper. I sold the fork and never did figure out what was wrong with it so I guess I'm not much help though. If you can get your hands on a 20mm wrench, or even a crescent wrench, crack the top cap on the damper side and take the damper out, it should pull out when you take off the top cap, make sure there's not any gunk stuck in the damper or between the shims, also make sure that the little screw that closes off the port running through the center of the shaft hasn't broken off or anything. Working on the tpc forks is really simple, and the compression damper is easier to get at than your stem. Buena suerte!

-PK-

Chimp
Dec 30, 2004
Santiago, Chile
Well, I took the trouble in my hands and opened it taking out the lowers and unscrewing the shaft cap. What I found? Tha shaft with a broken damper valve. Wow! $48 to spend in a plastic replacement part?

Well, I'll leave my home without a bike for almost 2 months long, so I'll earn some money to make it good.

It seems to be harder than I initially thought.

Thank you!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I had an SX the first year they came out with the TPC cartridge. It did the same thing (well, after I sold it to a guy about 50lbs heavier than me). We made a shim stack with some washers. One thick one on the bottom with about 3 holes drilled in it and one really thin one, like disc brake shim thin on top of it. It wasn't adjustable but it had "damping" at least.

If you lived any closer I'd give you the one out of my black fork. It's got a broken travel adjust and a stripped out brake mount so it's just sitting by my front door right now in case anyone shows up at my door to solicit something.