Quantcast

Band merchandising $$?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Was in the mall today (Another brutal story in itself...pity me.) with 15 y/o son, who is a new generation Hot Topic/Spencers (wanna be) punker. I was looking at t-shirts and band merchandise in that horrible store, and it struck me, how much $$ % does Band X make when their logo and images are being sold in the soul destroying shopping malls?

It seems that the "punk" bands of today and their handlers are more concerned with mass mall merchandising than overthrowing the government and/or rocking out and getting laid.
In "my day" kids used permanent markers, white out and fabric paint to make and modify shirts and clothing. A band shirt usually meant that you had actually gone to a show and laid out some $$ (almost) directly into the bands pockets...

Damn, I feel old.

4traxx

Chimp
Nov 2, 2007
Enfield , Ct
I was thinking about this same thing recently . I was someplace & nobody had a plain t shirt . They were advertising bike companies , gear & so forth . I think these companies make more selling clothing than bikes & parts .

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I was looking at t-shirts and band merchandise in that horrible store, and it struck me, how much $$ % does Band X make when their logo and images are being sold in the soul destroying shopping malls?
Not much, depends on the band.

Most of it in the chain and mall stores is licensing deals. They sign away rights for $X and get a chunk, then the merchandising company cranks out as much as possible to recoup.

Thing is, if they recoup, then the band most likely makes no further profit from the merch sales. Works pretty much the same as a major label record deal. (in other words: ass reaming hate crime against artists)

Some of the merch companies are somewhat cool but alot of them are just licensing mills that have everything contracted out to Chinese firms.

Cinder Block is ok. I worked for them in the late 90's when they had about 15 employees. I was the sole night shift printer. Now they have a bazillion employees in an 80,000 sq ft facility running 24 hours a day.

http://www.cinderblock.com/index.aspx

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
As long as Glenn is singing misfits songs, I have no problems.

He just shouldn't be allowed to open his mouth to do anything else.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Somewhat relative to this is the biking industry cloathing scenario. I always wonder why jerseys or t-shirts with company logos plastered all over them are 10 or so dollars more. It's not like it's some drastically different material. So what, I gotta pay more to advertise for your company?! Screw that; I say unless you are sponsored, avoid large logos if possible.