Quantcast

Barspins.... omg.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
So after 4 months of trying find the sweet spot in the air to throw barspins, today I finally threw the bars. I crashed, yes. Baby steps.

Bask in my newbsauce. Bask in it!

That is all.

Last edited:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I don't throw my bars anymore but when I did I could throw them any direction and just about anywhere/anytime.

but that is when my seatpost stuck out of my frame like a foot. :D

The cool thing about riding 26 inchers is even with the seat slammed, it's still between my knees. However, my frame is WAY too short for me to throw my bars.

I remember doing barspins on flatground and it was considered a trick...:eek:

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I am terrible at them on a 26. I can get them almost every time on my friends bmx out of bowls to flat, and hop bars I have also tried but I am super newb at those and have never landed one. As for bars on jumps, I'm scared as fvck of those and have only done them on a small step-up. They are easier to learn if you take your brakes off too..

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
in the late 90s, i used to them with a fat mountain bike seat and post jacked up (a legit style at the time!!).

This is 2001 :

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I can barspin on flat. I have tried it once over a double, my bike completely floated away from me. I used to have this theory that my body knew how to do the trick, so if I just tried to throw it in the air, I would catch the bars out of complete fear of crashing. Not the case.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
A friend of mine had a brother that would take his foot off the pedal and let it hang strait down, making his cranks strait up and down too. He did barspins and truckdrivers like that.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I suck balls at them on 26'es... I always catch my toe.
Aight......so I finally tried these off a jump (into a lake) instead of just bunny hopping them.

Wheel hit my foot every time. I got a good seat pinch, I'm nice and level, I'm getting a good toss........what the fvck do I have to do to clear my foot?

When I just do the manual barspin on ground I'm kind of leaning back obviously and my crank and foot are angled back. I guess I've got to duplicate that in the air?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
how tall are you?
How long is your toptube?
how long are your cranks?
How much of your foot/toes hang off the front of the pedal?

I can spin my bars on my bike when rolling (pull up/spin bars) but I can't put my legs/crank arms in that same position when in the air. My frame is 21.5 and my pedal and front tire are less then an inch apart when the bars are turned. I need a longer frame....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
how tall are you?
How long is your toptube?
how long are your cranks?
How much of your foot/toes hang off the front of the pedal?

I can spin my bars on my bike when rolling (pull up/spin bars) but I can't put my legs/crank arms in that same position when in the air. My frame is 21.5 and my pedal and front tire are less then an inch apart when the bars are turned. I need a longer frame....
This was a dedicated 'lake' bike so it's not mine. It should be close to mine though. It's an old first gen p.3 It doesn't feel any shorter than my bike when riding it, so it's close. 170mm cranks, I'm 5'7" and wear a size 9 shoe.....stand on the ball of my feet just like the rest of the universe.

I'm not going to blame the bike. I'm pretty convinced it's just a technique thing. I'll go do some manual barspins on it tomorrow but I'm sure that'll be fine.

It's kind of refreshing though to hear I'm not the only one with issues. I just watched a slow mo vid of me trying them today and it doesn't look like I'm doing anything wrong.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Aight......so I finally tried these off a jump (into a lake) instead of just bunny hopping them.

Wheel hit my foot every time. I got a good seat pinch, I'm nice and level, I'm getting a good toss........what the fvck do I have to do to clear my foot?

When I just do the manual barspin on ground I'm kind of leaning back obviously and my crank and foot are angled back. I guess I've got to duplicate that in the air?
I seem to recall T-mac dropping a foot to do his. Try that. Or angle your foot (heel down, toe up).

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Seems like most of the bmx dudes always have their heel dropped on their front foot.... I think it also helps them pinch the cranks with their feet.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Put your knees together like you're pinching your seat. (even if it's too low)
That should help force you into that position...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Put your knees together like you're pinching your seat. (even if it's too low)
That should help force you into that position...
That's not enough though. I got a perfect seat pinch on every single one I tried. I've had suicides for years so I can pinch my seat fine. I need to be in a different position. I watched some footage of ryan howard last night and he definitely pushes his bike forward (way more than you would on a no hander) before he pops his bars. It's all about the poopin on your rear tire postition I think.

I'm just glad I tried this into the water first. :D This isn't the kind of info I would have wanted to learn 6 feet over dirt.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Ok, let all the air out of your front tire... that should shrink it up a bit, so it clears your foot. :D

Good luck figuring it out! I hope you get them.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Put your foot on your forward pedal and turn your bars around 180 degrees... does it hit your foot? If so then you have too much toe overlap for barspins.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
OK... so I jumped into this thread late.

I do half barspins to half barspins back while keeping both hands on the bars... :think: