Quantcast

Bash Guard - for a 3 ring set up?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Is there a Bash Guard made for a 3 ring set-up? I am planning on taking a trip to Windrock in October and after killing my bing ring in SnowShoe I really do not feel like killing another one. I do not ride DH very often and I use my big ring ALL the time so switching to a different set-up really does not make much sense.

I ride a Heckler with 03 a LX crankset 4-104.

ps... yes I did a search :cool:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
You could just temporarily put a bash guard in place of your big ring. It only takes about 5 minutes. As far as I know there is nothing that would work with 3 rings.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Rock Rings. They were popular in the early-mid 90's. They were sized to cover your outer ring. I believe you can still get them today. I guy I ride with got one recently.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Again the question begs to be asked... why would you go to all the trouble, and added weight when XC riding, and reduced clearance when DH riding? It's REALLY easy to just get a bash guard and replace your big ring with it when you are gonna DH. A friend of mine does that no problem. It's super easy. Putting that Heim 3 monstrosity is a compromise that has disadvantages no matter what kind of riding you are doing. IMO.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
FWIW... I ditched my big ring completely in favor of a bash guard and haven't looked back. I'm yet to even begin thinking about missing my big ring.

J

JRB

I never want the big ring until it is not there. That is just me though. There are lighter options that allow you to run your big ring. I don't know what all they are, but they are available.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Good ?'s and I appreciate the input.

First of all the bashgaurd in whatever form I decide to go with is not going to stay on my bike. I ride my bike OFTEN, 3-5x's a week on some pretty flat stuff down here in SFL. I use the big ring often. I have never needed a Bashgaurd. However my last trip to SS I tore my big ring up. I am planning on heading to Windrock next month and do not want to do the same damage. I will also be planning on going back to SS or some other venue's to do some Super D style riding (maybe racing) etc next year. So this thing will just be on my bike during those outings.

I am well aware of just buying a 36t middle ring or so and a traditional Bashgaurd from say e13 and making the swap occasionally. I just wanted to explore the other options.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
I am well aware of just buying a 36t middle ring or so and a traditional Bashgaurd from say e13 and making the swap occasionally. I just wanted to explore the other options.
Cool :thumb: always good to explore all the options... and of course the Heim monstrosity might be the answer for you... just offering my opinion :D

J

JRB

Echo said:
and of course the Heim monstrosity might be the answer for you... just offering my opinion :D

It might hold the bike down during the next hurricane. :thumb:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Ah that looks nice too
No. No, it does not look nice. It is a big ass hubcap-sized metal disk of death that will wieght down your bike and reduce your clearance. Just lose the big ring for windrock. You wont need it. Ive ridden there.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
BurlySurly said:
No. No, it does not look nice. It is a big ass hubcap-sized metal disk of death that will wieght down your bike and reduce your clearance. Just lose the big ring for windrock. You wont need it. Ive ridden there.

Ya, I am thinking I might just go the route of buying a 36t middle ring and a traditional bash gaurd for this trip and possibly any other DH/Super D stuff I may do next year . :cool:

antm

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
miami, fl
Rob, I dont have any experience with the heim. On my previous bike, I wanted to keep the big ring and get an outer bash. I searched and I found out about the heim. good reviews btw. I ended up getting a race face bash to replace the big ring. I ride in fla too but I don't use the big ring. I suffer enough in the middle. :(

Salsa http://www.salsacycles.com/comps_chainrings.html, scroll to the bottom of the page. Not the trials (heavy) version. $35 including shipping from Speedgoat. I have ridden with one for years.

[rant]Why the hell is it that, every time someone asks this question, everybody has to jump in with the two ring pitch? :mumble: If Rob and I like using the big ring, focus on helping to find the part rather than explaining why we don't want what we asked for.[/rant]

J

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
johnbryanpeters said:
Salsa http://www.salsacycles.com/comps_chainrings.html, scroll to the bottom of the page. Not the trials (heavy) version. $35 including shipping from Speedgoat. I have ridden with one for years.

[rant]Why the hell is it that, every time someone asks this question, everybody has to jump in with the two ring pitch? :mumble: If Rob and I like using the big ring, focus on helping to find the part rather than explaining why we don't want what we asked for.[/rant]

J
That's the best post I have gotten all day!