Quantcast

Bash rings

After various excercises early in my MTB career folding big rings or grinding their teeth off, I installed a bash ring, specifically a Tooth Fairy. It's maybe 3/16" / 5 mm thick and allows me to retain the big ring, which I use occasionally.

Well, the Tooth Fairy finally broke and my LBS can't seem to find a ring that doesn't require removal of the big chainring. They tell me that Blackspire's the only supplier who makes such a ring, and they can't get them for whatever reason.

Anybody know anything different? I'm looking for a four-bolt ring to protect a 44 tooth big ring; the Tooth Fairy has sort of a saw blade cut that helps to crawl over obstacles, which I like.

Help!

J

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yep, just what I was going to recommend. Show that LBS the power of mailorder...

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
I just got a blackspire big ring god or whatever it's called, it's HUGE, heavy, and strong. I bashed it into some stuff the other day and it's still rolling straight. A little scratched up but hey, that's what it's made for right? Anyway, I'd just get it from webcyclery if your local shop can't get on the trolley there...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Run dual rings instead with ring proper choice - ie 24-36 or 26-38T.

I run 26/38T w/ 11-34T cassette and evil 40T max supercharger BG. If you aren't a hammer, you could go with 24/36T w/11-32T - gives you slightly lower ratios and get more ground clearance with a 36T max evil BG.

Shimano makes 26 and 36T(ramped) rings. Truvativ makes a 28, 38T(ramped). I think shimano might make a 24T and I know blackspire does. I usually go for a steel granny and Al middle.

I ran the easier setup my Titus and for my new bike, I moved up for higher ratios cause I usually don't use the easiest one possible anyways:

Gyro

Chimp
Mar 4, 2002
Slatyfork, WV
The tooth fairy rings were bought by Salsa. I believe they still make a ring similar to the one you broke.

I saw them on an online store recently.. Cambria, maybe?

-Nick

Thanks to all.

Gyro, I found the Salsa ring: http://www.salsacycles.com/comps_chainrings.html

syadasti, I have no interest in a two chainwheel setup, thanks, just not the direction I want to go.

I'm also taking a stab at using eMachineShop.com to find out how much it would cost to have a custom ring fabricated. Working on the design now, mostly a slavish copy of the Tooth Fairy.

J

And here would be exactly what I was looking for:

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=43738&cat=50&brand=216

Thanks for all the help.

J'