Quantcast

Bbi?

SASQUATCH-J

Chimp
Sep 30, 2003
NEDERLAND COLORADO
I was considering enrolling in the Barnett Bicycle Institute after graduating? Can anyone who maybe attaended that school or has any comments about it let me know?
Thanks!

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
SASQUATCH-J said:
I was considering enrolling in the Barnett Bicycle Institute after graduating? Can anyone who maybe attaended that school or has any comments about it let me know?
Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, that's the thingy out of colorado springs that teaches you sorta kinda how to work on bikes in this 2 or 3 week course. Real bike shop experience is probably worth much more than a 3 week course.

my advice....go to a real college.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
If Im not mistaken, the purpose of going to the barnett bicycle institute is to become more appealing to bike shops, in order to get hired in the first place.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
sounds stupid, just get a job in a bike shop. Hands on experience is always the best way to learn. Which I'm sure this BBI has, but why pay money for it when you can get paid to do it.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
fuzzynutz said:
sounds stupid, just get a job in a bike shop. Hands on experience is always the best way to learn. Which I'm sure this BBI has, but why pay money for it when you can get paid to do it.

WORD!

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I know some people who did it recently and just got hired at a shop for about 9.50/10 an hour instead of a lower 6 or 7....

but yeah seems kinda pointless to me.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
SJ, go talk to the managers of shops near you and get their opinion. Go in dressed farily well, be sincere, ask intelligent questions, yada yada... bet after visiting a few, you get an offer to start at $6-7/hr with their comment to teach you to wrench and a raise after some months. hey, it's possible.

But, uhh, don't make this a career, do it while you get your college degree. I can't imagine that bike shop peeps (even managers) make all that much.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
What all those other guys said...

I went to BBI back in '96 and it was great. I had already worked for a few shops and gained basic experiance. I skipped the basic class and completed the elite course. (the only way I would do it)

I still work in a shop part-time, but have moved on after college to computers. Yeah, you don't make that much in a shop full time. (even managers)

Several of my friends have opened up their own shops and are succeeding in this market, but you have to really 'want' to do that and it really doesn't pay for a while if ever.

But again, good experiance once you have some already. They take basic bike shop knowledge and perfect it.

SASQUATCH-J

Chimp
Sep 30, 2003
NEDERLAND COLORADO
lets say i already have basic experiance form working on my own bikes my whole life, and am confident with my own work minus rebulinding forks and stuff like that. so were talking basic experiance, from working on my own bike, then is it worth it? what are my chances at actually getting a job in a bike shop, provided i dont do antyhing stupid? granted i cant do everything, but what i dont know i could pick up fairly fast i would think. also im not quite 18, is that really as issue, becuase most of the guys i see working in shops are 20 or so...

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
Your chances of getting a job in a shop probably depend on the time of year and how well you know all the people there. Right now, I doubt you could do it 'cause all them college folks are shop's are most likely being flooded with applications. Wait 'til summer when most of them leave and you've got a better chance I think.

Now, on an unrelated subject, when was the last time you rode up rollins pass? Are there any decent sized snow fields left high up? I'm ready for ski season.

SASQUATCH-J

Chimp
Sep 30, 2003
NEDERLAND COLORADO
rollins pass was pretty bleak a month ago, biking season is alot more fun, im hoping the snow holds off. but yeah nothing up high, i climbed james peak 2 weeks ago and its around 13,000 and there wasnt any snow to speak of, so i think youll have to wait for a while till it snows, but they seem to think its gonna start early this year so you might be in luck.

Hey tom, feel up to a 20 foot drop? i think i have found a damn nice one, over in rollinsville, but i still gotta check it out, you game?
Take it easy! Make sure you go ahead and graduate this year eh?

PPS, looking for a new frame/fork? know anyone getting rid of a banshee or a bulit? those r the 2 im interested in, but i gotta ride it first so its gotta be local, might have to wait till veloswap eh?
Peace Tomo