Quantcast

Be safe guys... Always wear your Leatt.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
WTF is going on with that dog collar? Looks like it has a heap of spikes digging into the dogs neck?

wakeeater

Monkey
Jan 6, 2007
livermore ca
its a pinch collar. basically a more humane collar then the choke collar usually used in training or on dogs that are know to escape there regular collars like mine do

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
What Charley, said. The "spikes" are actually dull-tipped. These collars lightly dig into the neck of the dog, whereas a normal choke collar can pinch the skin and can unevenly pull on the dogs neck, crushing their throat.

Plus, that's a big dog. I'm glad that it's wearing its Leatt. Dogs these days are always doing ridiculous things. You just never know when they might fall on their neck. I'm just happy to see someone really carrying about their dog's ability keep walking on all fours.

:D

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Speaking of Leatts... I got mine last night. I thought that the Moto GPX Club had a plastic insert for the back brace, but mine had a carbon fiber one. Anyone else's come with the carbon fiber strip?

I also figured out that I am apparently the size of a 12 yr. old girl. I had to put the small clasps in, had to use the 17.5 degree plate (instead of the stock 10 degree plate), and had to shim it all the way close to my body. :( In other words, I couldn't have made it any smaller without BUYING the small Leatt.

Here are some pictures of mobility. After trying it on, I don't foresee any mobility issues at all, even riding the steep-steep-gnar at Northstar. I did, although, adjust the back portion as low as it will possibly go, to give myself optimum rearward head tilt (for looking up).

Head tilt without the brace shows me tilting my head as far as I can naturally. Obviously, wrecking will prove that my head can tilt a lot further, especially with bike and body weight, not to mention gravity, pushing my neck in all sorts of crazy directions.

Head tilt with the brace shows me tilting my head as far as it can go; period. My head won't tilt any further unless I crash hard enough to snap the brace which, as I'm told, is nearly impossible to do.

Here you go:

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks for the photos!

I actually got mine yesterday too!

I am also using the small clasps (girly sized neck apparently), but keeping the 10 degree carbon piece instead of the 17. Also using the 10 degree plate with it in the middle of the shims. I am using it with the stock settings on the back of head piece and didn't feel like it was too restrictive. I think the only place I felt like I was hitting the brace with anything was turning my head to the sides. But I don't think that will be a big deal at all. I am also using the chest straps. I feel like it secures it down a lot better than without them on.

Riding tomorrow am with it for the first time. I will do a report afterward for sure!

Last edited:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Rock on. I hope to hit Pacifica this weekend, and we'll see what's up. I want to see for a trail like Crack, if rearward movement really is a problem or not.

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah, tomorrow I am going to ride a local trail that is pretty steep tomorrow am. So That should be a good test for sure. =]

I will post an update as soon as I get to a computer.

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
I too used the small clasp and the 17.5 strip ,so Im a little sissy girl as well i guess.I should have my fairy tassles on tomorrow and hopefully my princess dress will be here for the Sea Otter!So whats the plan, Demo sat , pacifica sun?I can do one or the other.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I never noticed hitting the back of my GPX all last season with a TLD bike lid but I did have some contact with my 661 Moto. You might touch it with your helmet but I found that you can just push your head back a bit and move the brace just enough without effort or without moving the brace out of alignment.

I love my Leatt, rode it all last season freeriding and racing and I will never not wear it when on my DH bike.

The moto GPX is carbon by the way not plastic.

I also want to mention that I rode it half the time with no strap and no armor to see how it would sit and move around and I never noticed much difference with or without the strap. I do use the strap 100% though now just in case.

Greatest investment that I have ever made in mountain biking.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I never noticed hitting the back of my GPX all last season with a TLD bike lid but I did have some contact with my 661 Moto. You might touch it with your helmet but I found that you can just push your head back a bit and move the brace just enough without effort or without moving the brace out of alignment.

I love my Leatt, rode it all last season freeriding and racing and I will never not wear it when on my DH bike.

The moto GPX is carbon by the way not plastic.

I also want to mention that I rode it half the time with no strap and no armor to see how it would sit and move around and I never noticed much difference with or without the strap. I do use the strap 100% though now just in case.

Greatest investment that I have ever made in mountain biking.
Nice man! I cannot wait to use mine! I will be doing my maiden voyage with it tomorrow am. :monkeydance:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I noticed that when I opened the box that the back insert was carbon. I was stoked. I thought it was plastic. Pretty frickin' sweet.

I also noticed that if I REALLY had to push my head back further, I could probably get another 3-5 degrees of rearward movement out of the helmet. But no more than that. Probably a good thing just for those occassional instances when you really need to look up.

Toddy: As for this weekend, I'm still not too sure which ride I'm going to make. As for the weekend though, weather looks prime for either ride. :)

I think our 661 stuff will be here tomorrow... hopefully.

Last edited:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Just checked our 661 order. Arrived in South San Fran. a little while ago. Our UPS/FedEx runners always showed up today. I assume it'll all be on the delivery truck for tomorrow.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Full face all the time unless I am messing around on the street.

You should know better Mike... gotta protect the goods (points at and around face).

Does that mean no Leatt for you then? They recommend not using it without a full face helmet.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
No Leatt unless I'm on the full face. I can't see that it would do any good without a full face. The fullface kinda' acts as the buffer between the Leatt and my pretty cheeks...

...no, not those cheeks.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
So I rode with mine for the first time this morning and quickly realized I needed to adjust the back part of the brace to allow for more movement (looking up). I felt like I could not look up enough to see in front of me at points on the trail. I am making the adjustment tonight and riding again tomorrow morning. I think adjusting it all the way down is the way to go like you did Mike. I left it on the stock setting out of the box in the back because rolling round on the road in front of my house it felt fine, but it was for sure no steep dh trail.

I think after the small adjustment I should be gold.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I've heard that only in EXTREME cases does it inhibit riding, even in the lowest positions. I would imagine that things like CCCX won't even cause a problem. A few trails at Northstar might give a little issues, but if you're riding Northstar, safety is a prime concern anyway... so the benefits of having the Leatt far outweight the costs.

Let me know how it goes tomorrow. I'm riding Moto with mine today, so we'll see how it goes.

On a side note, you really have to loosen up the screws on the back plate, and you REALLY have to force the back plate to get it to slide down. So don't be afraid to slam a little elbow grease into it.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
On a side note, you really have to loosen up the screws on the back plate, and you REALLY have to force the back plate to get it to slide down. So don't be afraid to slam a little elbow grease into it.
Dude! You are telling me. I got home from the ride and thought I would do a quick adjustment, I ended up giving up after a few minutes of trying because I had to go to work. haha I will He-man that **** when I get home tonight. =]

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Took me like 10 minutes because I kept trying to be careful and not to break it. Then I remembered that they are designed to take a beating, so I just loosened up the screwed almost all the way, and forced it. It eventually started to slide down into place.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Rode Moto yesterday at Metcalf with the brace. Didn't even notice it...

...until I launched the bike out from between my legs, through a fence, and fell on my back. Besides the major bumps and bruises, a royally screwed up shoulder, and being generally sore from my toes to my neck... I'm okay. But I could feel the brace stop my head from shifting too far backward.

Nice to know the first time I wore it, I got to put it to good use.

Last edited:

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
Dude that suxs mike, are you gonna be good to ride Demo tomorrow still?What time we weeting, Brian/Kelly you going ?Anyone else?And I have yet to adjust my brace down all the way hopefully tonight,what about the front, did anyone lower it down as well?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Todd and I will be there.

I also put my Leatt to use this morning... (turn on HQ)

(feels great now that its been adjusted btw)

Last edited:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I don't mind carpooling, but with the fall on the moto yetserday, I'm still not too sure how I'm going to hold up tomorrow. I'm sore from head to toe. What was supposed to be a long double looper might turn into a single-looper with a half-walk. Haha...

See you guys at 9:15!