Quantcast

Beech Mountain Downhill and Dual Slalom #2

beechmtndh

Monkey
Jun 5, 2010
August 7-8 Downhill and Dual Slalom #2 will be going down!

Look for brand new trail at Beech Mountain for race #2
-new rocks, new drops, new berms
--pictures/video coming soon!

Pre-register on www.bikereg.com to be sure to save the $5 day-of registration fee!

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Suhweeeet! I'm stoked. Who's building the new trail? The race is coming up soon, are you guys gonna have any build days? I'm sure some muscle would show up.

kiponga

Chimp
Oct 17, 2009
Since new trails are coming up is there any chance that beech will open for some lift-assisted riding on a day with no race. Maybe its just me but I'd rather ride without the pressure of a race and if the mountain just opens for one day at a time im sure it would draw plenty of riders.

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
Since new trails are coming up is there any chance that beech will open for some lift-assisted riding on a day with no race. Maybe its just me but I'd rather ride without the pressure of a race and if the mountain just opens for one day at a time im sure it would draw plenty of riders.
Beech's ultimate goal is to be able to provide lift assisted riding on weekends without races going on. Will we see it happen this year? I don't know, but just know that lift-assisted riding is in the cards, they're just waiting for the most opportune time to play their hand.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Would be nice since there is not a lot of action goin on in the south for lift assisted ridin. It would be awesome for Beech and Hawksnest to do the weekend thing, it would make a great 2 days of riding. It would us Ga boys reason not to sit in a corner w/ a razor blade. Windrock continues to be my favorite spot but a little variety is what the south needs.
My 2 cents and I'm out.

beechmtndh

Monkey
Jun 5, 2010
in order for the bike park to happen, we need to have as many people out at this years race series as possible. It'll help show the management that there is enough people wanting to come up here to ride. Just the fact that they're letting us build more and having that kind of access to the mountain is a big step forward, so come out to the next race, race the race and now, you'll be able to ride more than a single trail!

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I should be there, hopefully.

Having at open every weekend as a park would be awesome too, I like racing but I hate spending almost $50 and driving that far and have to limit the number of runs I do so I don't kill myself for the race run.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Just show, register and ride. Either DNS your race run or just treat it like any other run. For now a race is the only time you get to use the lift so enjoy it.

I hope to make this one.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
vertical is vertical. come get your fill of runs.:thumb:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I should be there, hopefully.

Having at open every weekend as a park would be awesome too, I like racing but I hate spending almost $50 and driving that far and have to limit the number of runs I do so I don't kill myself for the race run.
you're doing it wrong man....be like me and go fast/have fun in practice and use your race run as the "too tired to ride anymore so i'm going to enjoy the scenery on my way down" type of run ;)

beechmtndh

Monkey
Jun 5, 2010
hopefully everyone will like keeping it in the woods more this round at Beech, track is loose with plenty of flat rock and high speeds. ...we'll hopefully have some sort of video over the weekend, and at least some pictures up on www.skibeech.com

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
Isn't that what the weather forecast always looks like. It's probably impossible to predict where exactly it might rain out that way. And just think. if there's a 40% chance for rain there's also a 60% chance you won't get anything. not too bad odds really.

Anyways the day before the first race there was terrible torrential downpour that lasted forever and by the afternoon time when we were racing it wasn't bad at all.

Last edited:

beechmtndh

Monkey
Jun 5, 2010
regardless of the weather, spikes are a good option. averyweather.com is typically the most accurate forecast, use Beech Mountain 2 when you go there. We've had rain almost every day except for today. Track is fun wet or dry. Bring some smiles, goggle tear off's and possibly a mud flap.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Isn't that what the weather forecast always looks like. It's probably impossible to predict where exactly it might rain out that way. And just think. if there's a 40% chance for rain there's also a 60% chance you won't get anything. not too bad odds really.

Anyways the day before the first race there was terrible torrential downpour that lasted forever and by the afternoon time when we were racing it wasn't bad at all.
Yeah, I thought Kentucky weather was crazy until I started riding in NC a long time ago haha.

And the track was perfect for the race run, but I actually went faster when it was slick in the morning because I knew better than to ride my brakes..

regardless of the weather, spikes are a good option. averyweather.com is typically the most accurate forecast, use Beech Mountain 2 when you go there. We've had rain almost every day except for today. Track is fun wet or dry. Bring some smiles, goggle tear off's and possibly a mud flap.
I wouldn't really mind the mud, but I'd hate to drag my girlfriend down there only for her to have a miserable time setting in the car because of rain..

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Yeah, I thought Kentucky weather was crazy until I started riding in NC a long time ago haha.

And the track was perfect for the race run, but I actually went faster when it was slick in the morning because I knew better than to ride my brakes..

I wouldn't really mind the mud, but I'd hate to drag my girlfriend down there only for her to have a miserable time setting in the car because of rain..
Tell her that she can legitamitely wear those stupid lame rubber golashes with the polka dots that every chic bought last year:

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Tell her that she can legitamitely wear those stupid lame rubber golashes with the polka dots that every chic bought last year:
I can proudly say she hasn't made such a purchase, even though she could have totally used them while shoveling a foot of flood mud at my parent's business with her hair still fixed from prom the day before. Oh well, she's been warned about the possibility of rain.

Anyone have any a couple of DH tubes they'd care to let go of for a few dollars? After windrock ate 3 or 4 of my tubes last time I realised "oem" minions are single ply, so no lightish tubes.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
It been 7 or 8 years since I raced DH and it looks like this is going to be my first event of (hopefully) many. Just pre-registered and am already a bit nervous.

How's the new course compare to the old expert course of say 2003-ish?

M-P

beechmtndh

Monkey
Jun 5, 2010
moto is right, after the first wooded section from the start is entirely new. Unfortunately I have no idea what the old trails looked like to compare, but the old trails are under consideration for the finals...I'll have the biggest details on Saturday afternoon, but the final race is looking to be a huge blowout with some big names and plans, but that will have to stay under wraps until hopefully saturday when everything gets confirmed.

beechmtndh

Monkey
Jun 5, 2010
The cell phone camera attempt was a failure and I haven't been able to get a real one up there yet.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
The old sport course was great. I'd love to race on it again.

Ironicly, the old sport course was an updated new "Pro" course when I tied in the top to the existing "original" rock garden with Mike Green (no relation). I say I because that old piece was just me, him and a weedeater and pair of loppers. :D

Then, the next year Nick Ragowski laid out the much used "pro" course with the road drop and "new" rock garden. The old pro became the "am".

Then we all went in the "new" rock garden and turned left and added the big, long techy rock section. Fred Schuldt and a few others built a step-up/step down combo at the end of the massive drainage ditch and it headed off left into the last woods and popped out next to the ski lift that ends at the top of the boardercross course.

Oh, and something I miss from the race perspective but that spectators might not like (unless the announcer is setup in the curve) is that the finish used to be right next to the lift. You had to two wheel drift around right, then back left around the lift tower on the gravel to finish out. ....just sayin'

Last edited:

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I think the old course was last raced in 2001? Don't think it was going in 03 was it?
Wow...been longer than I thought since I was at Beech then. Last series I raced in was MADHRA 2002...didn't even finish the season though since I was 17 and really starting to get into cars.

Ironicly, the old sport course was an updated new "Pro" course when I tied in the top to the existing "original" rock garden with Mike Green (no relation). Then, the next year Nick Ragowski laid out the much used "pro" course with the road drop and "new" rock garden. The old pro became the "am".

Then we all went in the "new" rock garden and turned left into the big, long techy one. Fred Schuldt and a few built a step-up/step down combo at the end of the massive drainage ditch and it headed off left into the last woods and popped out next to the ski lift that ends at the top of the boardercross course.
Is Fred still in the bike business? I used to race for him as a junior out of Pro-Bikes for a few years.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I believe '02 may have been the final Beech race. Can't remember if the longer rock garden was raced only the one year we cut it in '02 or again the next year. I can't remember ever riding but the one race.

Fred is on Facebook now, but not sure what he does. Some sort of enginerd. He sold Pro-Bikes to Marty and went to work at Industry 9 wheels, then on from there...not sure where though.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Hey I have 2 super tacky 2.5 swampthings that are hardly used, and one 2.2 michelin mud tire that is brand new if anyone needs spikes on the cheap...See you guys tomorrow, looks like the weather will be good.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Guys, what a great race again!!!! The track was super fun and technical!!! One of the best race courses I have raced on in a long time!!!! For those that didn't come they sure missed out.

Thanks for putting the race on!!!!

Cecil

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Track was awesome aside from that one right hander with the "dug out" berm, I couldn't figure out how to make it through that turn without creeping to save my life. I'm really glad they changed the bottom section too, those berms where sweet.

I wonder why there wasn't near the turn out as the first race? I was hoping there would be as many people as the first race..

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Track was awesome aside from that one right hander with the "dug out" berm, I couldn't figure out how to make it through that turn without creeping to save my life. I'm really glad they changed the bottom section too, those berms where sweet.

I wonder why there wasn't near the turn out as the first race? I was hoping there would be as many people as the first race..
Just a law of averages. You never get a repeat performance. Lots of reasons for variations, down to the individual.

So long as there is consistency year to year after year, racing here will grow again. People from years ago are just now showing up again after two years of consistent races. Harley and Kevin Addair haven't raced in years, but now that we have venues, both popped up this weekend with brand new rigs.:thumb: