Quantcast

Beech Mountain/Lees-McRae Downhill and Dual Slalom #3

beechmtndh

Monkey
Jun 5, 2010
Get ready for what's looking to be the longest track of the year for Beech Mountain's downhill! Starting from rider's left of the White Lightning lift crossing all the way back to the woods between Robin's Run and Upper Shawneehaw all the way across the mountain, and coming back to finish down in the Freestyle area! There will be some high speed and even more new challenges. Be ready to expect some re-working of the Dual Slalom track as well. That's looking to become a little more challenging and having a few more options for racers to pick how they want to hit something...just imagine having 2 or 3 ways to ride what you only has 1 or 2 before...many options will be opened!

I tried to put together a sort of map so you can get an idea of the newest track!

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Wow that does look long.... that middle section looks long and flat!
Is that on the road? Also is the section below that the old rock garden
from the nineties?
Can't wait to check it out hope it's as good as the others!

beechmtndh

Monkey
Jun 5, 2010
Wow that does look long.... that middle section looks long and flat!
Is that on the road? Also is the section below that the old rock garden
from the nineties?
Can't wait to check it out hope it's as good as the others!
don't be deceived by me having a hard time to make a decent map without a GPS....it's just the way I got it drawn on the computer. It's actually pretty steep and super fast....its pretty well above the road.

The first section is still the same (we've got plans for a new start, but I don't think we'll have time to get it ready this year) and it will go to the gap back to the slope after the first wooded section, and then where you would make the turn to go the table top rock under the lift, instead of turning left to the rock it heads across straight which is where the newest stuff starts.

The section below that is in the old rock garden area, but I couldn't actually find the old line really well. Everything got super grown in and we found a few things that looked like they could be it, but didn't really link together well.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I bet he could also tell you how to design it, build it, run a series, event and your life. :rofl:
:thumb:

Here's the map you asked for Steve. Click to make big. Edit: For some reason on my computer you have to click it twice to get it to pull up. See what you think. For all I know it may have more trees laying in it than rocks these days.

Attachments

Last edited:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Solt are you going through the massive ditch or staying to the left of it the whole time? You should know what I'm talking about, its big

beechmtndh

Monkey
Jun 5, 2010
Really? It looks a lot longer than that.(Ya'll save the jokes on that). I guess I'm not quite getting an understanding of how map lays out.
It's really hard to tell, the upper section is high speed and wide open. It actually hasn't been ridden yet, hopefully we'll be breaking it in over the weekend and get some photo/video

beechmtndh

Monkey
Jun 5, 2010
Solt are you going through the massive ditch or staying to the left of it the whole time? You should know what I'm talking about, its big
Above the road we're coming in above it and crossing back over it, right now its looking to be either a step-up over the ditch, or a table top bridge similar to the one in the mountain board park. Either way theres going to be a regular bridge to cross as a go around.

As of now, the below the road section stays to riders left of the ditch.

beechmtndh

Monkey
Jun 5, 2010
just an FYI...we're scoping out a new start, IF we have time to get it primed as well as everything else, look out for the brand new start!

RideDad

Chimp
Aug 28, 2009
What is the Dual Slalom schedule of events? Last race we heard Friday but the Beech site still says Sunday the 12th.
Would be good to know the schedule. Race day is fast approaching. Do we need a place to stay for one night or two? Do students need to get out of school early Friday? Leave work early Friday?... Thanks.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Would be good to know the schedule. Race day is fast approaching. Do we need a place to stay for one night or two? Do students need to get out of school early Friday? Leave work early Friday?... Thanks.
i 2nd this...might be able to make the DS if it's not on sunday. the DH is still saturday though...right?

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
pretty sure that was the whole reason with doing the event on Friday night.
They have the collegiate stuff to run on Sunday. I was told we would all be done racing Sat.

My question is are we all going to be sharing the lifts for DH practice? I bet the lifts and the course will have a line a mile long if so.

Last edited:

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I just wish we could have DH practice on Friday. Hawksnest was nice getting 7 or so practice runs in the day before, then just 2 or 3 the day of the race so I don't get uber worn out.

beechmtndh

Monkey
Jun 5, 2010
I just spoke to the LMC Coaches. They are planning slalom for SUNDAY with qualifying at 11am with brackets staggered in with the collegiate brackets.

beechmtndh

Monkey
Jun 5, 2010
I tried to secure lighting, but nothing in the area is actually available for the race weekend.