Quantcast

Beech Update

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
I hope I can make this race. Time to sell **** on craigslist so i can get the gas to make it there.

Also still no open class on the pre-register site? Otherwise I'd have to race cat 2 because there is no way I can afford an annual license for cat 1.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
So...I'm probably the only one that feels this way, but having practice immediately followed by the race does that course no justice at all. Last year was particularly fun up at beech due to the course being taped wide and the variety of lines to scope. Not to mention, it's hard not to burn yourself out in practice and be toast for your race run.

My whole point here is that you should try to get an extra practice day for the next race. Plus, camping up there was fun as well. :thumb:
:thumb:
I hate having the race right after practice. I know at sugar they used to be open on friday before having the race on saturday. IMO thats what should be done at beech

beechmtndh

Monkey
Jun 5, 2010
pre-registration does not include the one day license since some cat 2/3's have their licenses. I'll figure out how to set it up for paying for the one-day online, but if all else fails it will be ready on-site.

caleb

Chimp
Mar 30, 2010
ok well i just preregistered today so i guess i will just bring another 5 for a license when i get there.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
ok well i just preregistered today so i guess i will just bring another 5 for a license when i get there.
If you do, make sure to save your receipt. Each time you pay the $5.00, it is $5.00 off the annual license if you send in the paid receipts with your license purchase. So you're not throwing the money away if you decide to buy and/or upgrade to an annual.:thumb:

caleb

Chimp
Mar 30, 2010
If you do, make sure to save your receipt. Each time you pay the $5.00, it is $5.00 off the annual license if you send in the paid receipts with your license purchase. So you're not throwing the money away if you decide to buy and/or upgrade to an annual.:thumb:
ok would that be worth it if the only time i would use it is for beech and maybe massanuten, no other races around here at USAsanction

danennis

Chimp
Aug 29, 2009
brevard
rumors floating around these parts are that a certain big black dodge driver on a specialized bighit might be running in the open class....:thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
ok would that be worth it if the only time i would use it is for beech and maybe massanuten, no other races around here at USAsanction
Do you have health insurance and if so how much is your deductible?

http://www.usacycling.org/forms/EventInsurance.pdf

If an injured rider has primary insurance coverage:
A. They need to file a claim with their primary insurance carrier.
B. They need to call Specialty Benefits, Inc. at the number listed above.
C. They need to submit copies of their medical invoices and an Explanation of Benefits from their primary carrier to:
USA Cycling
c/o K&K Insurance Group – Claim Dept.
1712 Magnavox Way, P.O. Box 2338
Fort Wayne, Indiana 46801-2338
Phone: 1-800-237-2917
4. Once the primary carrier has paid their portion of the medical expenses, the USA Cycling carrier will pay 70% of the Reasonable and Customary remaining expenses ABOVE the deductible, up to a limit of $25,000.
5. If an injured rider has no other medical insurance coverage:
A. Rider must do 1, 2, and 3b as outlined above.
B. Rider must submit their medical invoices directly to the USA Cycling insurance carrier.
C. The USA Cycling carrier will pay 70% of the Reasonable and Customary medical expenses after the $5,000 out-of-pocket deductible up to a limit of $25,000.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Sorry, regarding the post above. Most have heard my stance FOR carrying USAC insurance b/c as a licensed member you receive the above insurance. Sounds paltry, but I was at a gap in insurance when I blew my knee at the 7 Springs national.....to the sum of $16,000 in medical bills!!!!

Because I filed my accident report on site through the proper channels, the end bill to me after USAC picked up the tab, $4,000. It was way easier to pay a doctor to fix me. Without the USAC protection, I'd be limping to this day.

Jan 12, 2009
Beginner (cat3), sport (cat2).

So if this is my 2nd downhill race, which one should I go with?

On another note, why is this race dang complicated to sign up for? All I had to do for hawksnest was pay the money sign a waiver and then go ride? What is it with all these licenses and stuff?

Jan 12, 2009
What class did you race and how well did you do? Top half? Top ten? For example, if you raced Am at Hawksnest and placed pretty well, I would go with cat2.
Well I got second place in the junior class but I mean why would amateur be better? I'm sure it wouldn't be bad if I raced beginner

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
So if this is my 2nd downhill race, which one should I go with?

On another note, why is this race dang complicated to sign up for? All I had to do for hawksnest was pay the money sign a waiver and then go ride? What is it with all these licenses and stuff?
Humans only use a tiny percentile of their brain power. Access that tiny percentile and you'll make it just fine.:thumb:

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
If in doubt just show up and ask someone. basically its just 1 extra paper to fill out when you get there that agrees to norbas terms and conditions then you give them 5 bucks and you get a day license for the race. or you can check the box for a yearly license and pay like 50 bucks or whatever it is now a days. I think i will have to sandbag cat 2 though. no way i can afford to get a yearly license and until the southeast decides to have all their races under norba or not under norba I feel no reason to buy a yearly license to use it like twice.

I don't know how hard it would be??? but IMO I think there needs to be a bit of collaboration between the dirty bird and Beech to decide on weather or not to use norba. preferably nobody using norba because the dirty bird seemed to go on flawlessly without their help and extra costs for me as a rider.

Last edited:

danennis

Chimp
Aug 29, 2009
brevard
If in doubt just show up and ask someone. basically its just 1 extra paper to fill out when you get there that agrees to norbas terms and conditions then you give them 5 bucks and you get a day license for the race. or you can check the box for a yearly license and pay like 50 bucks or whatever it is now a days. I think i will have to sandbag cat 2 though. no way i can afford to get a yearly license and until the southeast decides to have all their races under norba or not under norba I feel no reason to buy a yearly license to use it like twice.

I don't know how hard it would be??? but IMO I think there needs to be a bit of collaboration between the dirty bird and Beech to decide on weather or not to use norba. preferably nobody using norba because the dirty bird seemed to go on flawlessly without their help and extra costs for me as a rider.
I vote go with usa cycling. Read Butch's post regarding racer insurance, and it allows racers from the southeast the chance to upgrade classes for if we race anywhere other than the south.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I vote go with usa cycling. Read Butch's post regarding racer insurance, and it allows racers from the southeast the chance to upgrade classes for if we race anywhere other than the south.
I do too. If we just made all the SE races usac then there would be no problem with getting a license. Including slalom, we could have almost 10 usac races next year. That would pretty much justify the license fee.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
I don't really mind either way. I just wish all the races would run with norba or without it. If the dirty bird and beech were both norba sanctioned It would be a lot more worthwhile to get a license for the year. Especially if sugar would start doing dh races again.

anyways I found a way to afford a license so i went and registered for cat 1 so no sandbagging needed. I'm glad I did because I was starting to feel like an idiot if i entered cat 2 to avoid the license. And manimal might beet me up on the podium if I took his glory from him. :eek:

Is this going to be a common theme at this race? Why don't you race the open class? This sucks for those of us who actually race cat 2.
I hope not. It seems to be the case though. I feel like I remember a few races years back when everyone was complaining about how some race was like the only norba race they would go to so they raced sport and then the sport podium would have times faster than the expert podiums.

you should be able to buy a cat 1 license that has like a limit on how many races its valid for and make it cheaper than the yearly license that has no limit. for people that are only going to race one or two norba races all year.

Last edited:

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
Been up at beech since 10am and just got back. We had a couple of beech employees as well as some awesome volunteers up on course and it's really starting to look good. The last step down has a much larger lander and will now be dubbed "The Money Booter"

Skinny Kenny (mountainboard shredder) has also been hard at work this week tweaking some new lines in the High Ground terrain park. He told me that they're gonna have a freestyle session after the race for both mountain bikes and boards, so everyone bring your steeeze :thumb:

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
Skinny Kenny (mountainboard shredder) has also been hard at work this week tweaking some new lines in the High Ground terrain park. He told me that they're gonna have a freestyle session after the race for both mountain bikes and boards, so everyone bring your steeeze :thumb:
Any details on what will be in the park? So stoked for this weekend!