Quantcast

Been out of the loop since 2005

dhcanadian

Chimp
Jan 20, 2013
I was into DH racing and some freeride from 97-05 then I had to move to a place with little riding for school. At the end of this time I was riding a 04 V10 (still the first generation) with a boxxer, I sold this bike and currently only have my hardtail which is a basic singlespeed DJ/Street bike but I put some better rubber and brakes on it and it can handle some light trails. Ive owned some ridiculous bikes 40lbs DH hardtails, 24 inch wheeled freeride bikes, old norco VPS bikes with the BB 2 feet high and the forks pointing straight down. :rofl:

For the 2013 season I got talked into a road trip through western Canada hitting up the lifts. So id like to pick up a new (maybe used, not sure) bike. I want something that I can ride hard on all the DH stuff, take some smaller drops, and ideally something that doesnt have huge amounts of upkeep. Im about 5'9, 210lbs now, and if the past is predictive of the future I am not the smoothest rider and I like to plow over terrain.

Cheaper is nice but i dont have a set amount to spend. Im not really sure how much I should be spending.

some bikes im considering:

Used IH Sunday
Pros: Great price, good looks
Cons: Most of them are getting up there with age. Im a little skeptical about buying a 08 bike and there dont seem to be that many of these around here so it may be hard to judge how beat up it is. From everything ive read about this bike though, it sounds pretty great overall.

Used Giant Glory
Pros: Seem to be more of these around here, so I can likely find a good one.
Cons: Again, some of them are getting a little old and I am unsure if this is a big deal. I havnt figured out all the differences between years/generations.

new or used Norco Aurum
Pros: Ive seen what look to be nicely speced 2012s and ive seen some new ones selling for around 3k which seems like a good deal for a new bike.
Cons: Unknown durability? Its a pretty new bike.

Demo 8
I dont know a ton about this bike, but it looks like I couldn't go too wrong with it.

any suggestions for a bike for me? I'm looking forward to getting some serious riding in this year.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
I would highly recommend taking a look at a used (only option) SC Driver 8.
You can get them for cheap since they've been discontinued, they are stout, and don't require much maintenance.

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
Glorys are a very good value and a solid bike. The driver has more of a freeride geometry than a true dh rig if that matters to you at all.

dhcanadian

Chimp
Jan 20, 2013
I actually didn't realize it can be such a pain being over 200lbs (I am like 210 but likely closer to 200 once the real season starts up here) and riding DH. Most of the Glorys seem to be spec'd with boxxers which I worry won't be durable enough (not worried about structure, just dont want to have to get them rebuilt every few weeks). Seems that alot of >200lbs guys prefer the 888 so I will have to look into that. Its not that I am a fatass, im a competitive weightlifter.

The driver 8 looks like it would be a really solid ride for me. I havn't seen many for sale used. There is one near me I saw an add for asking 2500 canadian which looks to be in good shape. boxxer R2C2, vivid 5.1, Elixir R brakes, saint gearing, DT FR600/350 hubs.. Think this is looking into? Its my size.

I don't think I would mind a more freeride geometry as most of the bikes I have had in the past have been a little higher/upright and looking at specs the driver is actually lower and slacker then any of them by quite a bit.

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
i just got back into it again after a long lay-off 10+yrs and i picked up a 05 Norco Shore for $625 and it,s one hell of a bike better then any bike i raced on back in the day , Saint brakes and cranks , 08 888 RC3 FOX DHX4 shock and lots of other higher end parts .

dhcanadian

Chimp
Jan 20, 2013
i just got back into it again after a long lay-off 10+yrs and i picked up a 05 Norco Shore for $625 and it,s one hell of a bike better then any bike i raced on back in the day , Saint brakes and cranks , 08 888 RC3 FOX DHX4 shock and lots of other higher end parts .
I used to own a 04 shore with shivers, really fun bike for most things but I did find the bike a little to upright for me. That sounds like a pretty great deal for $625.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Don't get the driver unless you want to correct the geo with offset bushings or angecups. Stock the angles on it are just stupid

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah as norbar said, I wouldn't bother with the driver.

The Sunday is a great option, it's hard to go wrong with an 07+ frame. Don't let the age fool you, they're some of the most durable alloy frames built - I rode one for 6 years with plenty of time in the alps and in whistler, retired it unbroken. Most other frames that age I wouldn't bother with. A medium should be right for your height and probably very easy to find. I'd suggest avoiding 06 and older frames, but anything 07 or newer is great. The geometry is still fairly current, and it's easy to make them slacker if needed.

If you're getting an 888 (which is a good idea, especially if you don't like maintaining things) then make sure you get a 2010+ model (preferably an RC3 Evo), and factor in the cost of purchasing an X-Firm spring at your weight. Getting the right spring is key - the stock one is ridiculously soft, and unfortunately a lot of people choose to ignore the fact that they need to change it out.

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
I used to own a 04 shore with shivers, really fun bike for most things but I did find the bike a little to upright for me. That sounds like a pretty great deal for $625.

they do seem uprite when compared to current DH bikes , the wheelbase is 1/4" less then my kids 07 Stab Supreme it,s around 46" , it,s a fun bike just need some decent tires and a few other personal preference changes and it,s a keeper for a while til i can afford a SCALP or PULSE

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Keep an eye out on chainreactioncycles.com. They blow out Scalps every so often. I picked up a frame at the end of the summer for under $1300. They might not be doing that anymore now that they're paying Mr Hill, but its worth keeping an eye out. Fanatik Bike has small and mediums on close out too.
they do seem uprite when compared to current DH bikes , the wheelbase is 1/4" less then my kids 07 Stab Supreme it,s around 46" , it,s a fun bike just need some decent tires and a few other personal preference changes and it,s a keeper for a while til i can afford a SCALP or PULSE

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Obviously it depends on your budget, but there are definitely some good deals if you just browse the buy/sell section of pinkbike...esp. this time of year. Some examples I found real quick that would probably suit you well and are in the $2000 range.

2011 Intense 951 w/ Boxxer WC - $2200 Complete

2012 Specialized Status II w/ 2012 888 RC3 Evo - $1900 Complete

2011 Giant Glory w/ 2012 Boxxer R2C2- $2200 Complete

And of course my shameless plug for the frame that I ride....first is affordable (2010 has updated geo, but not all bells and whistles)...second is just nice...

2010 Canfield Jedi w/ Fox 40 - $2200 Complete

2012 Canfield Jedi w/ 2012 Boxxer WC - $3500 Complete

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Keep an eye out on chainreactioncycles.com. They blow out Scalps every so often. I picked up a frame at the end of the summer for under $1300. They might not be doing that anymore now that they're paying Mr Hill, but its worth keeping an eye out. Fanatik Bike has small and mediums on close out too.
did you get rid of the demo?

and I'll second what Udi said. The sundays are great bikes and despite the low-quality factory they came out of (I found bondo on mine, some people have experience rounded out bearing fixtures) they are really quite strong, and easily adaptable to modern use/geometries, if you decide to go that route. They really set the standard for geometry on a dh bike. That being said, you need to make sure the shock is well tuned for the frame, as it doesn't work as well as other bikes do with a mediocre tune, in my experience.

I don't have personal experience, but I hear good things about the glory's construction and durability. There's also the last generation RM flatline. Those seem to be quickly overlooked by a lot of people, but they seem like nice bikes.

Other stuff to look for in terms of quality, 10+ Marzocchi forks, Shimano brakes, Saint components, Mavic Rims, hadley hubs, thomson bits. Those are all fairly buy it for life items. I hate boxxers, having owned three, but other people seem to get along with them, and they should do OK for non regular use. I am excited to not own one anymore though...!

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The Norco bikes are pretty killer. We just finished testing the Aurum 1 and it was a killer value. The bike is light.low and slack. The bike is nimble pedals okay and does pretty good in the rough.