Quantcast

Been to Devil's Gulch lately?

oftpiste

Chimp
Oct 20, 2009
Anyone been there since the early July report on evergreen?

Is it currently shuttleable? If not, can you leave a car at Sand Creek (or thereabouts) and pick the trail up from the top of Mission Ridge?

Thanks in advance.

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
yep rode it mid july and the trail is in great shape, we just had a buddy pick us up in cashmere after the ride, but the rode is open from the top to shuttle just have to come in on th beehive side.

mwestra2

Monkey
Dec 4, 2007
The Devil's Gulch trail is in great shape, but the Mission Ridge trail... IMHO not so much. Lotsa ruts. Rode the figure 8 last weekend (up Devil's and down Mission), but wished I'd done the lollypop instead (up Devil's, down a little Mission to the intersection, Devil's down the rest of the way). Lotsa cars at the top.

oftpiste

Chimp
Oct 20, 2009
yep rode it mid july and the trail is in great shape, we just had a buddy pick us up in cashmere after the ride, but the rode is open from the top to shuttle just have to come in on th beehive side.
hey, not readily finding info on how to come in the beehive side. any chance you could share/PM the beta?

thanks.

north20

Chimp
Nov 5, 2007
East Cascades - PNW
hey, not readily finding info on how to come in the beehive side. any chance you could share/PM the beta?

thanks.

Just take Squilchuck Rd up towards Mission Ridge Ski Area at the south end of Wenatchee. Turns into Mission Ridge Rd, and shortly after look for USFS road 9712 ... follow that to Beehive.

And with that said, currently the Forest Service has the area "closed" for safety reasons due to a number of fires burning in the area:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/conditions/fire-update.shtml

oftpiste

Chimp
Oct 20, 2009
Thanks for the update. Stoked to give this a try. One more JONG question....

Is DH bike or AM best for this ride? Also on the map there appear to be 2 lines off of the trail at about 1800'is the westerly one Devil's Gulch and the easterly Mission Ridge? If that's the case it sounds like DG is the choice or.....?

Last edited:

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
Thanks for the update. Stoked to give this a try. One more JONG question....

Is DH bike or AM best for this ride? Also on the map there appear to be 2 lines off of the trail at about 1800'is the westerly one Devil's Gulch and the easterly Mission Ridge? If that's the case it sounds like DG is the choice or.....?
Take the AM bike it will be more fun, at the fork take the left hander down DG right is much more pedaly.

oftpiste

Chimp
Oct 20, 2009
Great ride! Thanks for the input and help gentlemen. Didn't see any signs of fire other than a bunch of trucks at the top. Trail in great shape, a few ruts here and there but not much. Fast and swoopy.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
Rode up DG and down MR 2 weeks ago. DG is in great shape, but MR is almost ruined from motos going up. Deep trenchs, ruts and big pot holes in the trail. Luckily, I was on my V-Tach, so I railed it anyway, but I feel sorry for anyone with less than 5" of travel, cause some of those pot holes will buck you over the bars (depending on your speed of course).

It was probably my last ride down MR. I consider it a moto-only trail now. It's just thrashed.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Rode up DG and down MR 2 weeks ago. DG is in great shape, but MR is almost ruined from motos going up. Deep trenchs, ruts and big pot holes in the trail. Luckily, I was on my V-Tach, so I railed it anyway, but I feel sorry for anyone with less than 5" of travel, cause some of those pot holes will buck you over the bars (depending on your speed of course).

It was probably my last ride down MR. I consider it a moto-only trail now. It's just thrashed.
Good to know because I'm planning a trip to that area to ride in a couple weeks.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
I should add a disclaimer. My opinion is based on how much fun MR was 4-5 years ago, when it was buff, smooth single track. It is still a nice ride with gorgeous, sweeping views of the ridge lines, mountains and gulch. But the draw for me, was always the speed and flow of that trail. Now it feels like more of a downhill run in certain sections, and it's lost the smooth, alpine, single track glory that it used to have. You used to be able to rail that trail on a XC bike.

My GPS said we hit 25mph in the fast sections, so that's what I mean by 'rail'. 25 feels a lot faster than it is (fast enough to pinch flat, unfortunately).

It's still a pretty trail though. Here's the only pics I had the energy to take.

Here's a tired monkey.

My 48.5 lb V-Tach. Fun on the way down....not so fun going up.