Quantcast

Beer Swap

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
OK boys and girls, I've been thinking about doing this for a while and wanted to know who may be interested in doing a beer swap. It would involve exchanging regional beers with someone who can't get that beer.

For example, being in the northeast, I can get Magic Hat, Ommegang, & Allagash and would trade that for something I can't get here.

Anyone interested?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Won't it be really expensive to ship bottles of beer?
Word. I'd assume your carriers are limited too. It used to be that USPS, UPS, and FedEx all refused to ship alcohol. I believe UPS now allows it to certain states, but I don't know about the others. Guess we'll all have to meet in the NEK and exchange bottles.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Hey bikegeek I got a couple of books on home brewing, I expect as I get around to reading them I'll be picking yours and brungemans brains about stuff.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Yes shipping can be expensive and most carriers do not allow you to ship beer, but you can ship "yeast samples" :thumb:

I'm seeing some interest here. I'm open whether sixers, bombers/750ml, or twelve packs are used. A twelver weighs about 15 pounds and costs about $15 to ship.

I would like to do like for like. So if I ship a 6er, I'd get a 6er in return.

Right now the folks game are:
Dogwonder (NY)
McGRP01 (NY)
Heidi (OR)

Let's see if we can't scare up some more interest...

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'd be in, but I'm only drinking stuff I brew these days. I'm not so sure they'd ship well since they're bottled with live yeast.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
How do you bottle? Is this in growlers or are you capping/corking?
Yes. :) I've been doing a lot of Belgian styles lately which are highly carbonated. My concern is that the beer would arrive over-carbonated (think "geyser" when you open it) , or worse, explode in transit. Agitation puts the dormant yeast back in to suspension where they continue to consume sugars and produce CO2.