Quantcast

Beginning off a new project

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I still have my Session 10 frame for about 2,5 years and still loving every day off it,the biggest problem off the 10 being not a full race bike was it's weigth at 47lbs it wasn't the ligthest bike on the tracks.Most race bikes are 40lbs or less eaven Nico vinks Session 10 was pretty heavy but he raced it before the new 88 came out.

I will drop the heavy image off the 10 for good and whanna make it more towards dh race side than freeride(atleast it was designed for big mountain riding,rampage or northshore).

The frame has a Akira Tuned Manitou Swinger 6way Intrinsic with a 300lbs steel spring,later this year i will add a Ti spring + after this season a full Ti bolt kit on the frame to drop eaven more weigth.The steel 12x 150mm axle is gonna be replaced soon by a Azonic recoil alloy 12 x 150mm axle,the frame also needs a paintjob but that will be done next season i still have my waranty on my frame and it will void if i would paint it with in this year.

if there is any news i will post pictures off it

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
those bikes rode surprisingly well. i was a little befuddled as to why trek gave up on them and didn't just put it on a diet.

if i had one i'd just drill speed holes

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
those bikes rode surprisingly well. i was a little befuddled as to why trek gave up on them and didn't just put it on a diet.

if i had one i'd just drill speed holes
Marketing BS and line unification. Now every trek looks the same even though I'd rather have a lighter sesh 10 than the new one. If only they didn't weight as much as a boat anchor.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think the new trek is very pretty and I certainly wouldn't kick one out of bed...but I really dig the 10 for it's high pivot, pedaling characteristics and lack of a retarded shock tune/leverage rate.

I think with an angleset or a double angleslack (1.5 + 1.0 = barcalounger) you could get a very modern geo. I feel like nobody gave this bike more than a passing glance, and now you can get em for cheaps.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Stealth bomber black now,no more manipoo any more:D

Linkage is lying arround the place some where.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Thanks to Mozartt they have made a chainguide for the Session 10:),they supplied a slider(left) that they special made so the chainguide is compatable with the session 10 frame.

77 designs hook me up with their ultra light zero rise Direct stem,with Ti bolts it's about 10g lighter than it's closest competitor & 21g for the second closest competitor

The big news for my Boxxer world cup is im getting a custom made ultra flat top crown with zero rise out of Germany,i have it about a month from now and it's lighter than the stock top crowns.Pix will follow when i have it;)

aanon

Chimp
Nov 21, 2008
south oz
They were/are an excellent chassis/suspension package, very underrated by many people.
Gonna keep an eye on this build, throw pics up of your progress if ya could please. Good luck.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Stealth bomber black now,no more manipoo any more:D

Linkage is lying arround the place some where.
What shock do you have now? Is that a vivid? What was wrong with the revox? What size do you have?

I had my Large Session 10 to a very fun 40.5lbs.
I loved the way that bike rode. In fact I had 2 of them and wish I still had them.
how tall are you? What was your build like?

Reason I ask about size is I found a crazy deal on a frame and fork, but only small and medium are available. I'm 5'11" and ride a medium 23.5in tt Sunday. The trek comes in at 22.8 in for the medium. Wheelbase is pretty similar between the two, and so chain stay length, so I'm wondering whether the effective feel of the bike will be similar.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
The shock is a vivid 5.1 MY2010 that came in the 267x95mm i2i with a D tune,rock shox added a D tune for the vivid in 2010 which is a medium compression tune that sits between the B & C tune.

The Manitou revox died after a rought period,it still keep leaking oil and after sending the shock twice to Manitou for repairing the shock the problems came back and i was sick of it dealing with this same **** over again:mad:.In the end i head bad experiences with the Revox and Swinger shock.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I'm 5'11. I'm currently riding a medium Sunday and find the top tube a touch short.
I found the large Session to be fantastic.

My build was:
Trek Session 10 frame, large
Manitou Revox rear shock with 250,300,350 Ti springs
RockShox Boxxer WC
Sunline direct mount stem
Sunline V1 745 bars
XO gripshift
XO shortcage
Ultegra cassette
KMC X10SL chain
Saint/Gravity light cranks
Gamut 36t ring
Gamut 36t guard
Hacked up E13 guide
Wellgo MG1 pedals
Bontrager RaceXLite saddle(hollow ti rails, carbon base, not enough padding)
Bontrager RaceXLite ACC carbon post
Woodman ti clamp
Rims: WTB LaserDisc FR
Hubs: WTB SuperDuty
Spokes: DT Swiss Aerolite w/alloy nipples

It was pretty much your run of the mill build that gets DH bikes in the 36lb range these days..

Then again I had it super heavy with outlaws, Intense tires and an Avy fork and it was still a blast for me when I was 5'11 145lbs.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
The new boxxer top crown is comming,will expecting it in about two weeks from now:).Pix will follow when i have it

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
E13 Chainring 34t Red

I saw CarbonTi making 36t Titanium chainrings,probally a upgrade for later when im replacing the E13.

Last edited:

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I can pick up my frame at the Trek distrubutor this week since the frame is ready,they manage to mount the whole frame back together with fresh new bearing kit & frame parts:).

So this means i can finally get start building her up so it's ready for DH riding in the Harz in Germany & for the 24 hour DH race at Semmering:D.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Have You thought about putting a 0.5" spacer behind the shock piston (reducing shock stroke and lenght)? It would still have +8" of travell, but the geo would be much better imho.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Have You thought about putting a 0.5" spacer behind the shock piston (reducing shock stroke and lenght)? It would still have +8" of travell, but the geo would be much better imho.
Nope but i keep it in the 10'' travel mode as it is designed for having that much travel,theres always the option to play with head angle settings with a angle set such as a Cane Creek or K9 option for later this year.

Im now have a Acros headset that is semi intergrated which probally works great

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Nope but i keep it in the 10'' travel mode as it is designed for having that much travel,theres always the option to play with head angle settings with a angle set such as a Cane Creek or K9 option for later this year.

Im now have a Acros headset that is semi intergrated which probally works great
K9/AS are much more expensive than a nylon spacer and they doesn't lower Your bb height : P 0,5" spacer would change your ha to 64deg (66 is stock iirc) and lower You bbh by 20mm~. Anyway Your frame looks amazing !

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I head clearance issue's with my mozartt guide,the upper guide was a bit thick so my chainring head no room for a chain to be mounted.Soo what i did was grinding down the upper guide to make it work and it did worked after all:D.

Before

After(scale shot only)

This is how my build looks now at the moment it's for aprox 50% ready

Before every ones ask about the cranks they will be replaced later this year,it was the only 83mm BB crank that i have atm and they are
decent light weight but other than that every part is pretty damm light.

Atm im waiting for my RS boxxer wc to return from repair,then i can move on with building her up

Last edited:

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
It's race ready now,new pedals are gonna be orderd today and then im set.

Will be soon weight on the scale:)

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
man, wtf was trek thinking painting those white. that looks amazing in black.
cool build and nice to see people souping up older rides instead of just selling for the latest and greatest.
do you like it better all steepened out?

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I get used to it when i ride it and i have adjustable geo on this bike which is pretty sweet:),this is a 5 year old frame and they didn't head slack head angles like we have now on these new style DH rigs.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Scale shot

Keep in mind that with pedals it's 16,80kg + the fact the bike has heavy Maxxis 2ply DH tires and no Air shock!.I also whanna mention that this isn't the final build for those thinking this is the final build;).

For now im done,new upgrades will be posted here.

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
if weight was such a big concern why did you go with the old frame? money obviously wasn't the problem :D

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Sweet build, nice weight. I'd not worry about going lighter, 17kg is as light as needed IMO, even too light. Are they carbon bars? Do yourself a favor and get some Black Labels,Reverse or something else. With ESI grips they're probably lighter anyway.
Are you happy with the 77 stem? They look trick.
I'd ditch the Boxxers for some 888s too:thumb: