Quantcast

being prepared

olyman

Chimp
Mar 6, 2006
Hey everyone, i just picked up a bladder water backpack to use during my trail rides. It has a little room to pack a few things. In your opinions what are some essential things that you should always carry with you?

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Pump, patch kit, tire levers, chain tool, and an allen wrench multi tool are all things I wouldn't ride without. I also always bring my cell phone (since I pretty much ride solo all the time).

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Multi-tool
Chain breaker
Tire pump
Tube patches
Knife
Compass
Space Blanket
Toilet Paper in a ziploc maybe some drier lint for fire starter
Waterproof matches
First aid kit, mainly sling, guaze, tape
Cel phone is a good idea
Some food that'll last ya a bit

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
get one of those crank bros 20 tool multi tools they have saved my butt so many times. plus the tube patch kit. maybe a tube. and for riding unless your in the middle of no where you dont need matches a space blanket compas. but i can argue with a knife cause i carry a small one.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BIRDMAN111 said:
and for riding unless your in the middle of no where you dont need matches a space blanket compas. but i can argue with a knife cause i carry a small one.
i saw a post where you ride at Capitol Forest and someone died a year or two ago from not being prepared. He got lost and wasn't dressed right, just a t-shirt and jeans. Spent the night and died from exposure.

He was only a few miles away from the main road at the bottom too, gotta be prepared, you never know if you break your leg and are out of screaming distance.....

olyman

Chimp
Mar 6, 2006
thanks, but nobody mentioned the six-pack, jk. I only drink when I play golf., Thanks That gives me a shopping list. Much appreciated-Marcus

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Skookum said:
i saw a post where you ride at Capitol Forest and someone died a year or two ago from not being prepared. He got lost and wasn't dressed right, just a t-shirt and jeans. Spent the night and died from exposure.

He was only a few miles away from the main road at the bottom too, gotta be prepared, you never know if you break your leg and are out of screaming distance.....
There was a roadie last year in California who went into a deep ditch literally meters from the road and wasn't seen. He was jacked up and couldn't climb out to wave down people for help... but probably could've managed to get a space blanket from his pack to keep him warm over night.

How about a SRAM PowerLink... I think they even work as a patch on shimano chains.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
LordOpie said:
How about a SRAM PowerLink... I think they even work as a patch on shimano chains.
Good call there. Yes, they do work on $himano chains. The one problem I have is I keep giving them away on rides to less prepared riders.

Mike

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Dartman said:
Good call there. Yes, they do work on $himano chains. The one problem I have is I keep giving them away on rides to less prepared riders.

Mike
Haha word, just lost my extra set last Sunday (what a co inky dink)...... i tried being quiet about it too(anyone gotta power link? anyone.... silence, Hey Tim's gotta have one!), goddammit sometimes it sucks being prepared.:rofl:

Corksil

Chimp
Apr 10, 2006
Maui, Hawaii
*Takes notes and makes list...*

Foodstuffs that are tasty :mumble:
Tire Pump
Tire Patch Kit
Tire irons of sorts
Chain Tool
Chain Repair Tool
Allen Wrench Multi-tool
Compass
Knife
Space Blanket
Toilet Paper
Waterproof Matches
First Aid Kit (Guaze, Sling, Tape)
Cell-phone
Cable Ties

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
A good tip that I use is to take a very large length of duct tape (10-15' at least) and wrap it around the handle of your pump. That way, it doesn't add any extra bulk, but it's there if you need it. It also does away with the bulk of carrying extra medical tape or a sling.

Works as medical tape, a tire patch, you can use it to splint injured limbs or broken parts... A million uses!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
ViciousDHer said:
Money, duh
Well duh... but probably not the duh you were thinking...

You can use a folded up dollar bill to keep your tube from pokin out if you get a hole in the sidewall of your tire. Can also use a wrapper, plastic bag, duct tape.....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Corksil said:
*Takes notes and makes list...*

Foodstuffs that are tasty :mumble:
Tire Pump
Tire Patch Kit
Tire irons of sorts
Chain Tool
Chain Repair Tool
Allen Wrench Multi-tool
Compass
Knife
Space Blanket
Toilet Paper
Waterproof Matches
First Aid Kit (Guaze, Sling, Tape)
Cell-phone
Cable Ties
Hey man if you're in Maui you don't need a space blanket unless you're on the top of Halekalea.:rofl:

i rode Skyline to Poli Poli on a rental bike a few years back, one of my all time funnest adventure rides.:)

Corksil

Chimp
Apr 10, 2006
Maui, Hawaii
Backside is a good ride, all the ways down to LaPerouse. Prolly about 15 miles downhill or something as the crow flies. Fun stuffs.

And no, I don't need a space blanket. Not to say it doesn't get damn cold here. ;)

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
Jeez, why don't you just carry a cellphone, and if anything happens, give someone a ringading. I only carry water, and my wallet, but I don't ride in dangerous places.....kinda.