Quantcast

Bellingham DJ Park Volunteer Work Party - 6/12

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Volunteers Needed - 6/12 & 6/13 Work Party

The time has come, the heavy machinery have done their work and its time to make this park rideable.

We are organizing a work party for this coming Saturday, June 12th and Sunday June 13th at 9am. Please bring shovels, steel rakes, Mattocks, pick axes, wheelbarrows, etc. if you have them and remember your gloves. There will be a lot of work besides jump building that needs to get done so please come out and lend a hand.

Any questions feel free to email me. matt@wwucycling.com

http://www.wwucycling.com/djpark/

Thank you to everyone who is planning on attending!

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I'll try and be there for as long as I can possibly be there for before I have to go home for my sister's graduation party. It'll be nice to see you again, and meet new people as well. I'll probably be there for an hour and maybe more.

roscifer

Chimp
Mar 14, 2004
Bellingham
Judging by the session going on this evening, i would call the park officially opened up :thumb:

It does need some work though, the 2nd line needs some lips on the takeoffs, and on the third line the first gap needs a better landing. And general shaping of everything. The material they used looks like butter though. Should be rock hard and smooth within a month.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Oh and just a reminder. The City Parks Department would rather it not be ridden until the official opening is made. Right now they have no way to enforce it so kids are out riding. So please respect their wishes and hold off for a bit!

There is still a lot of work to be done. Sod, trees, jumps, etc, just because someone is out riding it doesn't mean its done!

roscifer

Chimp
Mar 14, 2004
Bellingham
mplutodh1 said:
Oh and just a reminder. The City Parks Department would rather it not be ridden until the official opening is made. Right now they have no way to enforce it so kids are out riding. So please respect their wishes and hold off for a bit!

There is still a lot of work to be done. Sod, trees, jumps, etc, just because someone is out riding it doesn't mean its done!
You don't have to worry about me, since i hurt and my bike is out of commission for a bit. However, I can't say the same for the other 20 people or so who were actually riding, plus the lookers, and the guys from Ram who were enjoying watching people enjoy their handiwork, and all the people who will be there tomorrow due to word of mouth.
see you saturday, shovel in hand

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Not that my posting it will stop it, just kinda a general heads up. Ben initially asked the kids he saw there the other day not to ride, came back and they were having fun so he let them do it, honestly its not a huge deal, we just want to make sure they dont start bringing out the shovels and mess crap up, and that no one gets hurt, they arent done so they aren't the safest things yet.

I am hoping to make it on Saturday, but I have to head home to drop the garndparents off at the airport so it will be cutting it CLOSE! If not, there should be a decent turn out from WWU along with a few other community members. hope you are back on a bike soon.

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Is this the only volunteer build day planned? Once my feet land in WA, I'm always more than happy to help. Keep me informed and anytime after the 25th-ish I should be around to help. (I might be to late by then, but like I said, I'd love to help)

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Not at all, there will be at least 1 if not more in the coming weeks, I am not sure if the sod and trees will be there this weekend, if not they need to be taken care of soon. Once the park opens it is my hope to put together monthly work parties, if no one else comes our club will be there keeping the jumps in good shape. So, haha E dont worry, you'll have plenty of opportunities to get your hands dirty out there.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Just got word from Ben and there will be volunteers on site at 9am and it is now both days, Saturday and Sunday. There is a lot of work to be done!

Experienced jump builders wanted for speciality jobs, inexperienced builders needed in large numbers! Come help get this park opened up.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
I decided it was about time for a break from studying accounting so I headed out to the DJ Park to take some photos. Here are the latest.

The Park

Big Line

Drainage ditch

From the right side of the starting mound

Left side looking at the starting mound

The starting area mound

From Puget Street

Side profiles

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
the jump lines will be done before the weekend even gets here. We worked on them yesterday and got the bigger two lines finished.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Ice Bullit said:
Ya but what about the trees and sod and all that crap :o: , you still need help with that?

Alright, the work parties are still on, that darn hippie keeps confusing people! altough the jumps maybe "close to done" there is still work to be done. The sod sounds like it will now be hydroseed so that cuts back on labor there, and the trees I don't believe will be ready. BUT again, there IS work to be done so please show up if you'd like to help out.