Quantcast

Bent chain stay

EZRider

Chimp
Jan 26, 2002
Dallas, TX
I crashed my last time in Moab and somehow slightly bent one of my chain stays when my rig landed on its side. It's not too bad (still ridable) but I was wondering if I should get it fixed? I've never had to send in a frame for repair, so what's the process, typical cost, etc.?

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
...probably you'll want to get the dropouts realigned, since bending a chainstay can screw with the alignment back there. Most good shops will be able to do that. Aside from that, as long as it's not overly damaged, you can probably safely ride it.

I'd have to see pictures to judge more definitely.

A shop wouldn't charge you more than $10 or so to align the dropouts I don't think. They may need to keep the bike there for a day or two since they'll have other repairs on the go.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by KonaDude
...probably you'll want to get the dropouts realigned, since bending a chainstay can screw with the alignment back there. Most good shops will be able to do that. Aside from that, as long as it's not overly damaged, you can probably safely ride it.
IF it's a steel bike. Once you've trashed an alum frame, it's just about impossible to safely bend it back cold. It would have to be heated, then set, then heat treated.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
I never said he should bend the chainstay back. I meant to explain why the dropout alignment might be off if the chainstay was bent.

You are correct though, don't try to bend it back, especially if it's aluminum.

Jan 27, 2002
San Antonio, TX
Even straightening the dropout is a risky operation. The difference between perfect and snapped is sometimes one small tweak. Nothing makes a bike mech sweat like straightening a bent alluminum dropout.
If the chainstay is actually bent, the frame is probably toast. Is the tube just dented or is the stay actually out of alignment? Hard to imagine that it still shifts properly if the stay is bent.
May be time to dust off the warranty card?:eek:

iconic

Chimp
Feb 12, 2002
i've had my dropout on my 01 stuff bent twice now. first time lbs fixed it, then second time when i was riding i noticed when i changed back to 1st gear the rear derailler hanger thing was eating in to my spokes, so i jsut bent the dropout back out. it's fine now :D

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
We're talking about the actual dropout, not the derailleur hanger. When a chainstay or something gets badly misshapen, the dropouts don't align anymore, even if the derailleur hanger is still straight.

Just for your info!