Quantcast

Best Cities to live...

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
seems to me like there's probably more job opportunities in reno though. auburn seems like a kinda small town. I suppose you could always consider sacramento as well. that would put you 1/2 way between the bay area and LT. i personally don't think i could handle the dead heat that they get there though. it ruins my week just having to drive through there. reno is a big ugly stip mall in my opinion, but it seems like if you live outside of town a little ways there's some nice wooded areas.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by dfinn
seems to me like there's probably more job opportunities in reno though. auburn seems like a kinda small town. I suppose you could always consider sacramento as well. that would put you 1/2 way between the bay area and LT. i personally don't think i could handle the dead heat that they get there though. it ruins my week just having to drive through there. reno is a big ugly stip mall in my opinion, but it seems like if you live outside of town a little ways there's some nice wooded areas.
Yeah reno is kind of puking to the south with the starbucks, wal mart crap for sure. Unfortunately the same thing applies to just about every city in the US except for portland and manhattan. Check out the older sections of town though. There are some real communities down there. You also have no idea how much riding there is to be had if you know where to look......much of it snow free throughout winter.

Sac could never be an option for me for the same reasons you state.

I'm just pro reno because if I lived there, I could still do everything I do now from my house in Incline. I also wouldn't have to flee town on holiday weekends, fear for my life when bay area hummers come to town during winter storms, my girlfriend and I could afford a house etc..........

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
well its not in north america but....

Edinburgh- Scotland

If you could live anywhere within North America where would you live? Following the criteria below:

1. Excellent Dh centres within 1-3hrs including world cup standard courses , many other smaller tracks. 2 more chairlift serviced centres to open soon

2. good XC trails- £2million invested last year and it just keeps getting better , the amount of work at the going on at the new inners xc track is stunning, oh yeah serious xc tracks too , 5ft drops , doubles etc all there.

3. buggerall snow boarding :(

4. Party city- edinburgh festival for a month , all pubs open till 3am cheap and high quality beer and whisky of course :)

5. decent quality of life- Most beautiful city i've ever been to , damn clean too

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
I am totally with 360 on this one, I spent 9 months in Vancouver last year and had a fantastic time, it regularly comes top of the standard of living tables for cities anywhere in the world. The riding is fantastic, the whole outdoors culture is great and the scenery is breathtaking but.....the homeless problem is far and away worse than any city I have ever experienced in the UK, that was a bigger issue for me than anything else, the other big thing I didnt like it was the feeling of a lack of culture, sure I am spoiled in Edinburgh in that on the corner of the majority of streets you look up and see a kickass castle but that thing about Vancouver was just missing, everything in a way felt much more sanitised and generic.
Edinburgh nightlife is better than Vancouver, the pub culture of the UK in general is great, the riding is there pretty much on our doorstep...basically everything that has already been said.
Only thing that lets the city down is the housing costs and the supposed difficulties of getting a job in some sectors, I a just hitting the graduate job market properly so not got first hand experience of it.

No matter where I end up going eventually, I can see me always coming back to Edinburgh and calling it home.

Originally posted by kidwoo

What season are you here anyway? Do you come with your parents or something? Reno is a much easier place to find meaningful work and an affordable house. So is auburn for that matter.
well I live in Tahoe but with school and all I spend most of my time there in the summer. sooo I when I do go down to reno, usually to visit costco REI etc, its during the summer and sometimes during ski season. I guess my big thing with reno is that it is a sprawling desert city, similar in that way to LA, and as an outdoorsy kind of guy I could never legitimately consider living there because of the environmental reprecussion of cities such as those. also reno steals all of the water from lake tahoe, which is bad. IMHO I should also mention that I've come down plenty of times without the parentals and that I have some friends that live in Reno.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by 360

5. decent quality of life- Most beautiful city i've ever been to , damn clean too
Yeah, it's a damned nice place. Fun, too... more fun than Salzburg, Austria, which slightly hedges it in the beauty category.

MD

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
In the US I got to vote for SLC.
If riding and skiing/boarding is your priority it's virtually unbeatable. I agree that a few things are a little weird but the riding conditions (arggg that snow...) are world class.

I think Portland would be awesome too (as a surfer/windsurfer/skier/snowboard/biker) but I never lieved ther so I cannot say

Yes Montreal has the most ****#$%6 awesome nightlife with the nicest people and hottest girls (not high-maintnencace socal girls either). But the riding is just OK (not diverse enough) and the winters SUCK!
(I lived 8 month there). So no it's just not an option if you like snow (not ICE) and reasonnable temperatures.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I read the whole thread. Wheres the east coast people?
Fine I'll do it.
Burlington Vermont!:D
Skiing, DH, XC and a good nightlife. All four seasons is a plus for me.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by stoney98
You know why seasons are bad?
Because only in places with no seasons do you get chicks in bikini's all year round!:D
Preach on Brother!:cool:

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Originally posted by Lexx D
I read the whole thread. Wheres the east coast people?
Fine I'll do it.
Burlington Vermont!:D
Skiing, DH, XC and a good nightlife. All four seasons is a plus for me.
The problem with the east coast is that the guy wanted skiing not ice skating ;)

Otherwise I thought the DH trails there were incredibly fun!

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by Mani_UT
The problem with the east coast is that the guy wanted skiing not ice skating ;)

Otherwise I thought the DH trails there were incredibly fun!
I won't get into it since it's been said before but JAY peak is a bit over an hour north.:cool: They get snow and lots of it.

The east gets no respect, no respect i tell ya!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by gborden
well I live in Tahoe but with school and all I spend most of my time there in the summer. sooo I when I do go down to reno, usually to visit costco REI etc, its during the summer and sometimes during ski season. I guess my big thing with reno is that it is a sprawling desert city, similar in that way to LA, and as an outdoorsy kind of guy I could never legitimately consider living there because of the environmental reprecussion of cities such as those. also reno steals all of the water from lake tahoe, which is bad. IMHO I should also mention that I've come down plenty of times without the parentals and that I have some friends that live in Reno.
I hear what you're saying. The sprawl is why I moved away from florida and why I don't live in the bay area. Don't get me wrong, I live in Tahoe for a reason. Reno is just the closest "city" to where I want to be for all the reasons the thread starter mentioned.

By the way, reno does not "steal" water from lake tahoe. The truckee river is the natural outlet of the lake. That drainage channel has existed since the carson range (before mammals). That river flows through reno but almost all of the diverted water goes to fallon so that they can grow melons and alf alfa in the desert. Pyramid Lake and the paiute tribe is the loser....Not tahoe. Talk to the bureau of reclamation about that one.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

By the way, reno does not "steal" water from lake tahoe. The truckee river is the natural outlet of the lake. That drainage channel has existed since the carson range (before mammals). That river flows through reno but almost all of the diverted water goes to fallon so that they can grow melons and alf alfa in the desert. Pyramid Lake and the paiute tribe is the loser....Not tahoe. Talk to the bureau of reclamation about that one.
While that might be correct for just the last couple years, in the drought years, the carson river is dry when the lake is down just a few feet, and they pump water out to make up for it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Jm_
While that might be correct for just the last couple years, in the drought years, the carson river is dry when the lake is down just a few feet, and they pump water out to make up for it.
What's the carson river got to do with tahoe and reno? That flows out of hope valley, past markleeville and down into gardnerville. It never touches the tahoe basin.

I'm a hydrologist. Reno does not pump water out of tahoe.......I promise. Stampede, Boca and Prosser reservoirs all feed the truckee river as well as tahoe. My office is the one that keeps track of these flows. Besides, when would you ever need to "pump" water downhill?

If you're thinking of the flumes and tunnels on the east side, that water came from marlette lake and incline lake....and went dry with logging.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What's the carson river got to do with tahoe and reno? That flows out of hope valley, past markleeville and down into gardnerville. It never touches the tahoe basin.

I'm a hydrologist for the USGS water resources division. Reno does not pump water out of tahoe.......I promise. Stampede, Boca and Prosser reservoirs all feed the truckee river as well as tahoe. My office is the one that keeps track of these flows. Besides, when would you ever need to "pump" water downhill?

If you're thinking of the flumes and tunnels on the east side, that water came from marlette lake and incline lake....and went dry with logging.
whatever that river is, you know what im talking about. At Tahoe City.

Ahh, truckee river, that's the one. For many years in the 80s and 90s, it was bone dry.

largerthan9

Monkey
Dec 10, 2002
San Diego.........
Sun
Surf
Nightlife
mild weather
every kind of cycling you can imagine!
Big bear is a short drive away for ok snow

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Montréal is a very cool city if you're looking for a great nightlife, cool ambiance and stuff like that. Montréal has a very lively feel to it compared to most of the North American cities.

Being a french-speaking guy myself I really prefer being in Québec city though. The city is more relax (many people may say it's TOO relax), there are tons of XC trails everywhere and we have Mont-Sainte-Anne very close (~35 minutes from where I live). In Montréal, you have Bromont which is rather near...but it gets overcrowded sometimes. Also, it seems that the future of Bromont is uncertain as they seem much more interested in building condos in the trails than building trails. :( :mad: :dead:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Jm_
whatever that river is, you know what im talking about. At Tahoe City.

Ahh, truckee river, that's the one. For many years in the 80s and 90s, it was bone dry.
I know. That's because Tahoe ran below it's storage elevation (below the dam outlet) due to consecutive low snow years. It happened again this fall. And reno still didn't pump any water out of the lake. They drained boca and prosser reserviors just like they've done for the last 50 years;).

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
NYC is an option, 1 hr or so from Mountain Creek and 2 hrs from Plattekill.

What about Mexico City? BIG volcanoes surround that city! And the cost of living is muy cheap. I haven't ridden there though, but I want to.

Tucson is good. Mt Lemon rocks, but there's no chairlift for miles around.

My first choice would be HongKoover. It really is that good.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Stiff
NYC is an option, 1 hr or so from Mountain Creek and 2 hrs from Plattekill.

What about Mexico City? BIG volcanoes surround that city! And the cost of living is muy cheap. I haven't ridden there though, but I want to.

Tucson is good. Mt Lemon rocks, but there's no chairlift for miles around.

My first choice would be HongKoover. It really is that good.
Mt Lemmon was destroyed by fire, the trails really don't exist anymore.

Mexico city is at 8,000 feet and sets up a nasty inversion, it's one of the dirtiest cities in the world for air.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Originally posted by Jm_
Mt Lemmon was destroyed by fire, the trails really don't exist anymore.

??? I rode a couple of the trails on Mt lemmon over spring break. They were some of the most fun dh shuttles ive ever ridden but I hear they are highly illegal. Tuscon is high on my places to live list but i couldnt stand the summer heat.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by math2014
Awesome post.

Ok, i am Greek (so what? we dont want Greeks in the states ...:D:D). I ll be having a PhD in finance after some time... and i am looking into moving to the USA or Canada... and i was wondering where i could get a high-end finance related job, in a city that fullfulls all the above mentioned criteria...

I am looking at

LA
Vancouver
SF
Seattle.

Basically i am CA biased cos i hate rain! I live in the UK, but i was born and raised in mediteranean climates... any ideas? Is LA a good choice? (this includes Santa Bawbawa and all closeby cities).
If you wanna make money then SF would be a great choice, however the cost of living is very pricey. Its worth it though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
If you wanna make money then SF would be a great choice, however the cost of living is very pricey. Its worth it though.
you're not really making money when you are making $100,000 a year and the minimum house price is like $500,000, in adition to other costs.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by heikkihall
??? I rode a couple of the trails on Mt lemmon over spring break. They were some of the most fun dh shuttles ive ever ridden but I hear they are highly illegal. Tuscon is high on my places to live list but i couldnt stand the summer heat.
It's supposed to be a moonscape, and yes no one is supposed to be riding up there. A lot of the "big stuff" that was supposed to be like a 6000 vertical drop linking all sorts of trails all the way down to the valley, is supposedly gone, or that's what i've been told from tjhe people that live there. There's a crazy ride that they used to do, starting at the ski resort, and dropping all the way down to the bottom of the mountains around there, just crazy long, kinda like burro-down supposedly, but it's gone.

As an alternative, ride at Sunrise Ski Resort, it is to the north a little from Tucson, but they have a lot of cool stuff and guys that go up there and build stuff/route trails.

Another alternative is probably about the same distance, but a litte to the north west instead of north east, is called Globe, town at 3000-something feet, top of the peak at like 7850 (and you can camp at about 7800 :D) and you get about 4300 vert descents, there's some real fun options to get down, which takes around 2 hours. Tons of fun.

I've stopped proclaiming it a lot, but in reality we are spoiled here. 4000-5000vert descents are found in many places across arizona, and we got nice cool-mountains for the summer as well. I wouldn't ever suggest living in Phoenix, but all in all, coupled with our year-long riding season, and the riding, it's pretty much spoiled me.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Originally posted by Jm_

Another alternative is probably about the same distance, but a litte to the north west instead of north east, is called Globe, town at 3000-something feet, top of the peak at like 7850 (and you can camp at about 7800 :D) and you get about 4300 vert descents, there's some real fun options to get down, which takes around 2 hours. Tons of fun.

I've stopped proclaiming it a lot, but in reality we are spoiled here. 4000-5000vert descents are found in many places across arizona, and we got nice cool-mountains for the summer as well. I wouldn't ever suggest living in Phoenix, but all in all, coupled with our year-long riding season, and the riding, it's pretty much spoiled me.
You must show mw this globe place next time im in AZ which will be october

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
You must show mw this globe place next time im in AZ which will be october
Yeah, or if you are ever up near or in northern arizona, I can take you down mingus mountain or on some other fun stuff. I don't recommend mingus for any beginners or XCers (but I will ride it down with them for the free shuttle ride like I did 2 weeks ago!). It's a fun ride though with some technical stuff, best done on a DH bike. Globe is a bit far for me, but I like to try and make it out for the rides that Paul B puts on there, it's definitely worth it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
its about 2 hours away here, maybe closer if we met at mingus mtn, it's different, and I've figured out about 3 ways down the mountain, but it's kind of an "adventure" more than just a "ride", at around 4500 vert, it takes a while to get down to the bottom. Flagstaff is probably the best idea when it's hot. I've ridden it a few times and it's fun, but I don't know the DH shuttle routes much yet, or the less-than-legal stuff like Jedi (drops and stuff) and others. Let me know though and we could hook up. We have some stuff up here in prescott too, but I don't know if it'd be worth it to come here (2 hours away) when globe is more like an hour and much bigger descents, also mingus and flagstaff are a big closer and flag will be somewhat cooler than phoenix (but prescott is way cooler than phoenix....what's as hot or hotter than phoenix?).

I love south mountain, but I don't ride it all the time, during the fall, spring and winter I may get down there once a month, so I don't get as sick of it.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
im too lazy too read through all the posts, but i put my vote in for RENO. they are close to tahoe, have a good nightlife, and of course the Wolfpack.

Go Pack GO
________
TimeForLove cam

Last edited: