Quantcast

best FR wheel

Jou

Monkey
May 16, 2004
Powell/Laramie, Wyoming
I know this is going to be a crappy topic, but what makes a good DH wheel, isn't best for FR too. So what does everyone think.

I'm running some alexrims, not sure what they are called, but they are similiar in build to the MTX w/thicker walls. Worst abuse they have had is a 12' drop to case...the rock on the face of the landing exploded.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
If you're really abusing rims, get Mag30's, Mavic EX729/D321s, Sun Double Tracks, Arrow DHXs or welded Atomlab Trailpimps. They will all cost you extra money to have a custom build, but they will actually hold up if you have a good wheelbuilder build them up well (which is probably the most important part - machine-built wheels tend to suck). 14G spokes, 3X or 4X in the rear is a good idea too, but pretty common practice already. If you destroy one of those handbuilt, then you either need to lose weight, ride smoother, or stop punishing your bike like that. A bigger tire w/ a little extra tire pressure never hurt either.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
i've seen a halo combat laced 3X to a woodman 12mm 36h hub. wieghted 1/2 a ton, but thats not the point. the guy rides a 2.5 tire @ 30 psi through rock gardens but the rim holds up. thats a good example of a FR wheel that wouldn't work for DH.

aidanwray

Chimp
May 16, 2005
UK
Sun MTXs seem a good rim choice atm if you want to stray away from mavics.
Hope bulbs laced to a set and built 3X by a respected wheelbuilder would suit me fine.

infact, im about to order that very wheelset!

Juanjo

Chimp
May 15, 2004
NJ/NY USA
I did two season of FR with a set of D321 and snapp a frame, chain stay, two XT rear hubs gone but the rims still holding like a champ...

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
ride what ya got til it breaks, get something else......I am beating the crap out of some WTB laserdisc DH's and have a spare set of ALEX DX 32's waiting to take over when the others die.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Okay, you people ought to be more informative or you're just going to confuse potential freeride wheel consumers.
EX823 are not that strong, and apparently under DH abuse, fall apart. Search.
The old Deemax's are built on D321's/EX729's (same rim, new name), so yeah, those are great.
The new Deemax's are only 28 spoke, so aren't recommended for massive abuse.
Alex rims are cheap, and will get destroyed relatively easy (that is, relative to the rims I mentioned above).
MTX's are nice, but aren't super strong. Don't get me wrong, they're not bad, but they are susceptible to damage even with proper tire pressure and tire type. I have one, it's slowly dying, and I only have 3 Whistler days and 2 Hemlock days on it. The upside to them is that they're light. So, if you pedal a lot, my recommendations might change, but if weight isn't as much of a concern as strength is, I wouldn't roll the MTX.
No clue about the Halo's or Funns though, but I wouldn't trust a rim from Funn considering that it's not their primary endeavor.
Sure, it's economical to ride what you have until it breaks. But when you do break it, do it right and build it up properly to something strong.
My #1 strong rim choice: Arrow DHX. Go ahead, try and hurt it ;)

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
erikkellison said:
My #1 strong rim choice: Arrow DHX. Go ahead, try and hurt it ;)
Where can you find the Arrow DHX? Also, what's your opinion on the Intense Mag 30? I've read a few good reviews on that rim. Last question, is there a noticeable difference between 32 and 36 spoke holes? Is it the old adage that more is stronger? Thanks for any feedback!

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
bfranke said:
Where can you find the Arrow DHX? Also, what's your opinion on the Intense Mag 30? I've read a few good reviews on that rim. Last question, is there a noticeable difference between 32 and 36 spoke holes? Is it the old adage that more is stronger? Thanks for any feedback!
Arrow DHX 26" rims on UniversalCycles.com
I don't have a ton of destroying experience with a Mag30 by any means, it's simply apparently a strong rim. It is not light though (so don't believe those 6xx g quoted weights, it's over 800g). And it's made of magnesium (alloy?), so apparently instead of bending, it cracks. Scary? I had an FRX, and it was bombproof, and that's their lightweight rim. Just get an Arrow.
More spokes are better, because it's that many more spokes keeping the wheel in shape and preventing it from going out of round (hops, tacos and flat spots are bad). That's why the 28 spoke wheel is bad for abused wheels.

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
I also read that Sun Double Tracks are pretty bomb proof, but having no ride time on em I cant verify. However at my 245 pound fat ass, I want to give em a whirl and see how they can last against a monster like me. But that test will have to wait, I have to get a bike first.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Apparently Mag30's and DoubleTracks are the same rim profile, just different material.
I guess I should shut up now, most if not all of this info (and more) can be found by searching threads.
Though I have to toss in that the EX729/D321 is the best combo of strength and weight. This is an opinion thread, right? ;)

konaguy49

Chimp
May 19, 2005
U K
i had my 275lb ass riding a double track on a hope big un on the rear of my old big hit and landed a few drops to flat, bad landings take offs on near flat tyres and hitting the rim everywhere and it didnt even twitch, it was exceptional, the worst that happened to it was when the tyre rolled sidways a bit and the paint chipped

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
321s hands down. I just bought a set of 2002 YELLOW Deemax 321 36h rims from my LBS. Mavic actually still has them!! You just have to ask. I had them laced to Chris King hubs and IMO they are the best wheels.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My CK hubs and 321s are actually lighter by almost a 1/2 pound over my Azonic Outlaws. I like the outlaws but man do they flex. They do stay true, though. I can really feel them flex in rock gardens but they have held up so far.