Quantcast

Best "Freeride"/Trail bike

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
its so funny patrick how you think your hardtail can do everything, what makes your hard tail better then all the others out there like the evil steelhead ect..

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
zmtber said:
its so funny patrick how you think your hardtail can do everything, what makes your hard tail better then all the others out there like the evil steelhead ect..
hahahahahahahahaha

USE COMMAS

Not quite sure, it just is so much better than any other hardtail; but half the reason is because i'm on it. I'm just that good. :rofl:

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
I gotta go with the preston fr, i own one and it freakin rules. i have a dirtbag as well, im on my second one, also not bad, but a little much in certain aspects. you cant go wrong with the Preston.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
marshalolson said:
i like my new dirtbag.
I seriously don't get the Transition craze. They're just like everyone else, (Kona, Banshee, etc) with their trailing link (4 bar, specialized patented) crap suspension. I just don't get it... why are these bikes so great (Besides the fact that you can say "I have one and you don't").

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
have you ever spent much time on them?
i have no complaints about the design, its simple and lends itself to full seatpost, the 07' enduro almost has it but they bent the tube...

the max "i" think you can go with it is 7", after that you need a floater but its still pretty active if you lay off the brakes. my only complaint on most of them is the rocker arm design...too linear needs more progressive feel, or DHX...

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Ascentrek said:
I seriously don't get the Transition craze. They're just like everyone else, (Kona, Banshee, etc) with their trailing link (4 bar, specialized patented) crap suspension. I just don't get it... why are these bikes so great (Besides the fact that you can say "I have one and you don't").
you have to hold one to understand how beefy they are. super stiff torsionally - maybe the stiffest 7" trail bike on the market right now. also, i you toss a really nice shock on there, the fancy link frames tend to work against high end shocks. my dirtbag with an el jefe is a really stable pedaler, is super plush, and ramps up nicely at the end of the stroke. i also like the design becasue there is minimal chainstay growth (1 link longer than a hardtail) which is nice if you run a road rear derailleur w/ a 30t cassette.

so just because turner, kona, banshee, etc use similar designs they are crap?

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
Ascentrek said:
what a fag

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
funny thing is this Forum is asking what others view to be the best in freeride, when a bunch of people post about transition being there pick, maybe that means they really do have good stuff, its not a craze its the real deal. i am a huge fan or Transition Bikes, i now have 2 of there rigs. i have ridden a lot of other stuff as well, so i can compare. i would call any of the others crap but i do call Transition my favorite. The company and owners really know there stuff, and they sure as hell ride it and put it all to the test. not only that but they back it up with a awesome warranty and great service. your getting more than just a bike when you buy from Transition. a good point was made above, you have to own one to really see and feel the difference. on the web frame designs can all look the same, but not in person.

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
An '04 Enduro w/a Goldtec Plate for 6" and a coil shock (ie Romic) and a Z150 or 66
Light enough for all the climbs, nimble in the the low speed technicnal stuff, FSR functionality with enough travel for the hux and the bike parks.
The only reason for not going w/an SX trail would be the weight. For me anyway, plus I like the custom jobs.

snaps-alot

Chimp
Jul 11, 2006
Los Angeles - Westside
mikeG said:
I recently built up a Large VPP Free and it came out at 32.9 lbs. I build it with a Vanilla RLC 36, DHX 5 w/Ti Coil, Mavic 819's (running them Tubeless), Hope M4's, Hope Bulb Hubs, XT cranks, Sram XO shifter and derailuer, Thompson stem and seatpost, SDG Ti Rail saddle. I was surprised that it came out this light but it is the best trail bike I have ever ridden. I have ridden bikes with dual crowns in the past but I am surprised at how much I like the 36. I feel that I am faster since I am riding a lighter bike and I feel I haven't really had to compromise on the DH.
My vote is for a bullit with single crown. do you do Dh with this setup? I would think that the head angle would be too steep and the travel would be really unbalanced - pimp components though...

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Best Freeride,

The one that gets you to ride more often.

I run a RM Switch and it is a perfect choice for me, for now.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
dablake914 said:
morewood shova st if you want an air shock and 140mm, or the shova lt if youre looking for a more freeride/hardcore trails with like 180mm.
i love my 04 shova. basically a 6+6 bike that can do just about anything. swinger 4way air, firefly plus.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
here is another vote for the preston. thus far i have done just about every type of riding and it has done great.

also the 05's 06's have no problem with blowing through the travel!

i will post mine shortly

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
I love my Switch. Especially now that I've upgraded the fork and rear shock to a Boxxer Team and the Fox Van. I can still climb it and when I need to hit it, which is most of the time, there's a lot of cush. I like the way the Switch feels under me. I've sold all of my XC trail bikes and use just this one.

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
how is the transistion dirtbag for hardcore trails? I saw some guy ridin Xc with the complete bike. Does it climb well????

brittmtb

Chimp
Jan 17, 2005
The Versus Blitz 2. It is the fastest bike I've ever ridden. The rear end is super stiff and it's balanced really well so it corners great. The suspension ramps up real nice on drops and it has great small bump absorbson too. It's the perfect trail bike that you can also huck without any worry about breaking it. http://www.versuscycles.com/blitz_detail.html

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
how is the transistion dirtbag for hardcore trails? I saw some guy ridin Xc with the complete bike. Does it climb well????

anybody?????

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
My friend has a dirtbag w/a 66RC and he rips the xc trails on the MA north shore. But as he does he spots every potential drop out there and hux'em all. He climbs better than I do on my enduro and drops like he's got a dh bike. Sick.

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
I have a Dirtbag w/ a DHX 5.0 and a Van 36R, the bike can do it all, not the lightest rig but who cares, goes uphill much better than you might think. its nice to have a pedal friendly rear shock on this bike. i agree with J-Dubs its a sick bike!!

tuckya'in

Chimp
Feb 15, 2005
port angeles
Heckler with a six inch fork. It climbs all day and can take serious abuse, and oh yeah....it's affordable. Mine has got three years of epic all day XC, Whistler, and plenty of DH. I need to replace it soon, but it's going to be hard. Transition is my next choice for sure though. The Bottle Rocket is calling me.