Quantcast

Best LEGAL riding in WA?

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
Hey there all, I am looking to compile a list of riding areas that are open and legal in WA. Of particular interest are areas that have stunts, DH sections, natural flow/drops, and are more oriented towards freeriding. I would like to know about parks as well. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
open AND legal?

uhhhh there are none? :)

there are a ton of OPEN ones..but legal? you are asking too much :D

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
pangeist said:
Hey there all, I am looking to compile a list of riding areas that are open and legal in WA. Of particular interest are areas that have stunts, DH sections, natural flow/drops, and are more oriented towards freeriding. I would like to know about parks as well. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What's that? :think:

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Unfortunately, they're all right. The closest legal spot for me is Post Canyon- Hood river, OR. There's also falls city in salem, if you can bear the 4-mile hike. The next closest LEGAL spot is whistler....

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
well that blows chunks! I just got my Bullit (used) and it is rad and I want to ride. I am hoping to do some riding this summer around the state. So Beacon it is. Post Canyon is good I hear, never been. What other spots are there then? Dare I say ILLEGAL spots? Yeah I know, nobody is going to post it on a forum.

Well back to my other idea for a secret trailmaking brotherhood........

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
yeah man, you will need to make some friends for riding your bullit anyplace but whistler, post, pa, galby, tolt...and the likes...

if you feel like doing some trail work tomorrow before riding, we can take you with us and show you around some trails....we will be meeting at 945ish before heading on up....if not, thats cool too :)

best o' luck!

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
get in touch with bullitrider. he comes my way often and we hit post canyon. definitelly worth your drive. that place has got sick stunts, and it is shuttleable and legal. people know of many secret places, you just need to start riding w/ some of us. :evil:

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
is seatac legal? last i checked it was. Its not the best its not the biggest but if u wanna kill 3 hours on a bike that would be the place. I can think of many illegal places though :)

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
We have a couple of decent trails over hear just south of Cle Elum over in the Taneum. While neither are particularly steep and there arent any stunts on them they do offer the shuttle option. If you go to the Taneum Junction Campground you can shuttle either Taneum Ridge Roller Trail which drops about 1400 feet in 4 miles and Gooseberry Flat Trail which drops 700 feet in one mile. The trails have a nice flow plus with the shuttle option you can spend the whole day just going down.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Galbraith in Bellingham and Beacon in Spokane are definitely legal, and I think Devil's Gulch is too. Pretty much anywhere that people regularly ride and don't have to jump a fence is legal because the people who own it obviously don't care that people ride there.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
kinghami3 said:
Galbraith in Bellingham and Beacon in Spokane are definitely legal, and I think Devil's Gulch is too. Pretty much anywhere that people regularly ride and don't have to jump a fence is legal because the people who own it obviously don't care that people ride there.
:think:

Riiiiiiiiiight.

I guess hunting is OK out of season as long as you don't get caught. :rolleyes:

Don't assume anything, as those places you assume are legal could end up gone in an instant. That happens as soon and the people looking the other way decide it isn't worth the trouble.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
What I mean is that often there is private property that the owners let people mt. bike on. Take Galbraith, Trillium (the owners) never said that people could bike up there, but they are cool with it as long as they build trails within the guidelines. If the owners don't mind, then it's legal as long as it falls within state and federal law (hunting out of season does not, therefore it is illegal).

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
kinghami3 said:
What I mean is that often there is private property that the owners let people mt. bike on. Take Galbraith, Trillium (the owners) never said that people could bike up there, but they are cool with it as long as they build trails within the guidelines. If the owners don't mind, then it's legal as long as it falls within state and federal law (hunting out of season does not, therefore it is illegal).
And I am just saying is unless you have talked with the land owners yourself you are assuming a lot.

And the way people take it upon themselves to build on their own the places it was allowed before often get the axe. PA is an excellent example of permission and riding access. SST is probably not OK'd in the current configuration it is in. St Ed's is pushing it's access by having people build one it (no matter how fun it may be)

I am just saying....because people ride there and have been getting away with it doesn't not make it legal, or approved. There are "certain areas" along the I-90 corridor that are, in fact, illegal. Been there a long time...it was ignored....now it is being looked at....

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Don't know who owns it. I've only been there once so I would only know how to get there if I drove myself. Got some pics though...

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Bullitrider said:
Don't know who owns it. I've only been there once so I would only know how to get there if I drove myself. Got some pics though...
Property belongs to the city of Montesano.
They have approved of the course that is there. They didn't approve of another course that was built there and I am not sure what ever became of it. If I remember right, they asked the builders to take it down, it was a more stunt oriented trail. Don't know for sure though.

However, when we held the race down there they asked us to make a few changes to the trail for safety reasons. This was where we were on the road in two different places. We made the changes that they approved of and all was good.
I asked if we could come down and explore building another trail or two and they said that it would be ok so long as we flagged what we wanted to build and waited for them to inspect and approve of it. This wasn't a long drawn out proccess, but rather a one to two week proccess. We flag it, let them know where it was, and they get back to us in a week or two and let ud know?
Haven't been back down there since though.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
is that course open to the public to play around on? or is it like PA where you need to request permission to ride it? looks fun and very duvall-ish and well, is something new for me :)

olytrayne

Chimp
Apr 7, 2002
olympia
Hey J if you want to hit Monte let me know. Next weekend would be good for me. THere are some cool trails besides the downhill course too.

Legal freeriding is an oxymoron. The FREE part of the riding implies that the rider makes the decision on what is OK to ride, not the landowner, whether that owner be private or public. IE, if you ARE ABLE to ride it, you are JUSTIFIED in riding it. Of course, some people (said landowner) might not agree with that... Rhino is right, get permission or ride established trails and everything is cool. Poaching is cool too, just don't get upset when you can't poach an area anymore cause people did stupid stuff (like cut down trees and nail into live trees, or build poor stunts on the most widely used trail in a certain forest... :rolleyes: )

olytrayne

Chimp
Apr 7, 2002
olympia
I may be convinced of doing the shuttle next sunday. I was thinking of doing it yesterday but the 12 mile hike on saturday did me in... It's been at least six months since I shuttled anything, but I could be convinced after climbing greenline #6 out of Porter creek last weekend. :drool:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
olytrayne said:
I may be convinced of doing the shuttle next sunday. I was thinking of doing it yesterday but the 12 mile hike on saturday did me in... It's been at least six months since I shuttled anything, but I could be convinced after climbing greenline #6 out of Porter creek last weekend. :drool:
still got my #? PM me yours. im pretty sure i want to bring the big bike and do #30.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
olytrayne said:
Who is riding SHelton this weekend???
Me and whoever else wants to ride Lower Big Quilcene. But i'm kind of keeping it on the dl since i don't think i wanna ride there in the rain. If it's raining and crappy i might go to Green Mt. in Bremerton since there is a new trail that i want to ride there. And since you guys are South Puget Sounders i thought i'd throw it out there.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Skookum said:
Me and whoever else wants to ride Lower Big Quilcene. But i'm kind of keeping it on the dl since i don't think i wanna ride there in the rain. If it's raining and crappy i might go to Green Mt. in Bremerton since there is a new trail that i want to ride there. And since you guys are South Puget Sounders i thought i'd throw it out there.
You are going out there this weekend?