Quantcast

Best race-specific dh bke?

iron1

Chimp
Mar 13, 2007
Well now that I've started to race seriously on my 06 demo 9, I think it will soon be the time to get a real dh bike. I am very small at like 5'2 and like 105lbs, so I'm looking for the lightest and best performing dh frame out there. I've been looking at the canfield formula 1 jedi, the commencal supreme dh (although the 7" of travel puts me off a little)I know I'm bias, Morewood Izumi, Intense socom and the Turner dhr. I am open to any other suggestions so please respond.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Dont let 7" keep from a good frame, alot of manufacturers are going 7+ travel now, foes, canfield and a couple others.
The jedi is a sick bike, turner is good, M6, M3 and socom etc... all good bikes.
I personally am a canfield type guy, the new Jedi is a bike you have to ride to appreciate. Its a different animal than the F1 all together.
7" of good travel is better than 10" of crappy travel, path makes a huge difference as well as brake jack and pedal kick.
The Jedi is 7.75 with 2.5 rearward almost no chain stretch and feels like a 9"+ bike with the rearward and doesnt buck like alot of bikes off big stuff.
Alot more forgiving in the nasty stuff!

All good bikes, personal choice mainly. Ride a few if possible and get a feel and then you will also decide if you like certain bikes which axle path is for you! Then search for bikes in that area.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
The Jedi is 7.75 with 2.5 rearward almost no chain stretch and feels like a 9"+ bike with the rearward
Sorry, but no. You can't (at least by my thinking) have a rearward wheel path and no chain stretch. The only way to have 0 chainstretch is a concentric BB, unless I am mistaken.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Sorry, but no. You can't (at least by my thinking) have a rearward wheel path and no chain stretch. The only way to have 0 chainstretch is a concentric BB, unless I am mistaken.
Theoretical concentric in the form of an idler for the chain to go over near the pivot(or virtual pivot).
Go Canfield fa sure. Or a short Lahar.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Small Ventana. maybe a small santa cruz/intense. Demo 9 great bike, but for short riders focusing on racing- probably not the best. Just MO.

iron1

Chimp
Mar 13, 2007
the price seliger: Do you have the frame weight for the ventana, I was looking at it but it looked a bit too heavy for me.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
I would say Karpiel Apocalypse, the GSR Mach 9 is also a good bike but given your size, you seen best suited for the Astrix Halo.

Here are the three bikes (shown in reverse order)

iron1

Chimp
Mar 13, 2007
Thanks...Thanks alot. I'll look further into those, they look like great race frames and not to mention super light!

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
At your height and weight you do not need that big of a bike. Ride something light and manageable. A 6.6 Slopestyle would be a perfect DH bike. Light, really low, slack, fun as hell. Really, the Honda bikes and the Commencals both have 7" travel and there is no lack of great results on those and the 6.6SS is only a half inch less. I love that bike.

I'm heavy and fat and chronically injured so I need a plush bike, but that said, I love my DHR, and it is also available in a very small size and is very low standover.

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
As somebody already said, try some alternatives. I did the switch from 06 demo9 to a DHR and have been happy ever since. For me the DHR suited better with the way it handled than the demo9 and I have been able to develop my riding skills alot since then. BUT, the DHR might not be the right choice for you, only you can decide that by riding some bikes. Why not try the Giant, alot of smaller riders ride them where I live, and they are less expensive.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Sunn should be pretty small. I know one 14year old racing a sunn radical + totem so it should be good. Canfield and Commencals also seem like a good option.

But if you want most agresive geo go for sth like Sunday, m6, Stab or Corsair Crown.

iron1

Chimp
Mar 13, 2007
I've looked into the sunn radical, but where would I get it? As for the corsair I also looked into it, but I just don't know where to get any of the small-company frames. Somebody mentioned that the corsair's weren't even out yet.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
all i have to say is that the small commencal would still be a big for you at 5'2

like the others said, dont let the 7 inches of travel put you off. its a great bike. i am 5'10 now, but when i got it i was 5'7 and it felt just a tad to big for me back then. i grew to like the lengthy top tube.

also think about getting a S size sunday, those things are tiny. and its a great bike.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
dh kid as for the 7inch you are 100% right. I've got 9'' of travel on my lapierre and it's easier to go threw all of it than many more progressive bikes with less travel. I like the linear feel and the susp gives me great tracton but on jumps I think I'd feel better on sth like commencal or other progressive SP.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
I'm 5'2" and I feel that I dround in big (8-9") bikes. I just can't get the same momentum out of my small body, and it's not because of lack of muscles eather (70kg).

There are a few nice bikes that would fit you. One bike you definately should try is the Reign X, in XS or maybe S, with a 7" double crown upfront. Do a search or ask around in this and the freeride forum, and I'm sure people will recomend it dearly.

You're probably a kid who has to depend on his parents, so it will be good for them to know that Giant is good value for the money. Get an 06 Boxxer ride, or a Fox 40 if they can afford it, and set it at 7". Good thing with both those forks is that they can be set from 6-8", so you could use the bike for some more stuff than just DH!

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
This is some kind of joke, right? ;)
Hahaha, yeah I thought it was a good opportunity to bragadoshia 'lil bit. =)

Truth is, everything is relative, and to this guy's 105lbs (if I remember correctly) I'm King MF Kong. Zie king of :monkey:

pancho64

Monkey
Jul 28, 2007
like someone else said earlier at 105 lbs there is absolutely no need for a full on dh bike. im sure that demo weighs almost half of what you do. go with a slopestyle bike that has dh geo like the intense ss or specialized sxt. you will probably be faster on these bikes than on a bigger bike that you will struggle to get going

iron1

Chimp
Mar 13, 2007
Just so you know I can ride my demo 9 without problems (as in controlling it but I wan't something lighter) so there is reaon no act like I'm some little wimp guy. As for the intense ss it says it has ss specific geo, not dh geo.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just so you know I can ride my demo 9 without problems so there is no act like I'm some little wimp guy. As for the intense ss it says it sah ss specific geo, not dh geo.
hey, if I wanna act like you're a little wimp guy, then I reserve the right to do so. :lighten:

edit: if you can ride your demo with no problems, then why do you need a new bike?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
just because you can ride a big bike doesn't mean you won't be faster on a smaller more nimble bike
doesn't guarantee you will be faster either.

I'm just saying, I've met people who are super fast but are riding hella clapped out rigs. One of my best friends was always the guy whose bike was never fully working, so he always wound up riding someone elses bike. He could pin it on any bike as a result. If Sanjay can style out DJ's on a cruiser, it just proves its the rider not the bike.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
I never meant that you can't control your bike. But it's one big MF bike for most people, meaning it's too heavy for the purpose of DH. You will without a doubt be faster on almost any other DH bike, and considering your size.. If daddy's rich; try the Intense SS (if it comes in an apropriate size). The Specialized SX Trail in Small is too big for my 5'2", just so you know. Would love to have one otherwise.