Quantcast

best time to be in CO for 3 weeks?

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Yo CO locals - I'm planning a vacation to your state for (hopefully) 3-4 weeks this summer. I would like to be able to take in a couple XC races, maybe even a DH or slalom event or two. We'll either be staying in the Summit Co area or possibly Crested Butte. I'm leaning toward the first part of July but would appreciate any local scoop you guys might have...

TIA

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Telluride 24-25th (MSC)
then like spomer said Snowmass

I haven't been to telluride yet but I have heard nothing but GOOD

2 big events in 3 weeks, the only thing better would be if you can make it to Final Descent too!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
So yeah... I would just go ahead and make that trip for 6 weeks if you can swing it... 'Cuz ideally you want to just be here from July 9th through the end of August... SO much racing and riding to do here in CO during that time. The list of races for that Time period are:

1.) Blast the Mass, July 10-11 (in Snowmass, totally different courses from the National that's already been mentioned)
2.) Full Tilt in Tellurdide, July 24-25 (There is not enough good that can be said about Telluride... it's beautiful, the riding is stellar and the gondola is free)
3.) Schwietzer Idaho, July 29-Aug 1 (yeah, this isn't in Colorado proper, but it's a NORBA National Near here, and you're already on vacation, so why not hit it?)
4.) Snowmass National, Aug 5-8 (I truly believe this is going to be the most bestest National this year. Top course builders and a super supportive resort staff are going to make this the must-see-feel-good hit of the summer.)
4.) Eldora Escape, August 14-15 (back to CO, a new venue, but good terrain from what I understand.)
5.) Durango NORBA Finals, August 26-29 (Durango kicks all holy assneck for mtn biking. The rides are EPIC, both XC and DH, the dirt rules all, and it's a MECCA... you have to hit a MECCA while you're here, right?)

I would also try and hit up nearby MOAB, UTAH while you're out here... it's 5.5 hours from the Denver metro area, so much closer if you're already in the hills.

So there's the breakdown, race every damn weekend and ride your ass off during the week. We have great dirtjumping spots all over if you're into that, epic XC, good DH at the races, street stuff, trails scene is good... DAMN I can't believe I LIVE here?

If you seriously only can make 4 weeks max, then I would say the month of August would be a-prettypretty cool.

Mint.

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Hey thanks for all the scoop guys, if it were up to me I would already live there. I have two little knotheads, one in middle, the other in high school and it's tough to move when they are that age. I do intend to find meself a little cabin up there to stay in a few months at a time (around retirement time). We already go up there at least twice a year anyway, at least one ski trip and a summer mtn bike trip. I have to have the kiddo's back by Aug 9th so it looks like we'll probably be there the end of July and maybe into the first part of August. Thanks again...

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Well guys I'm still coming, trying to work out final plans now. I have a window to be there the either end of June thru the first two weeks of July, or for the end of July through the first part of August. If you guys have any new scoop I would appreciate it. I'm gettin' tired of flat Oklahoma, need to get my mountain fix...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Scoop is still pretty much the same as was beforehand... if you hit it late-June early-July you'll catch Wildflower Rush in Crested Butte and Blast the Mass in Snowmass, which will be great races each and every one... I'd say the XC at Wildflower is good, the DH not as gnarly but still fun to ride. The courses in Snowmass are spectacular all the way around...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
And definitely stay in the Butte. The outdoor opportunity is soooooo much better there than Summit County.

Summit County is nice, don't get me wrong, but outdoor-wise it just isn't on the same level as the Butte.

I think it must be the mountains around Crusty that make it that way.... or the trails....... or something. :D

-S.S.-

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by SkaredShtles
And definitely stay in the Butte. The outdoor opportunity is soooooo much better there than Summit County.

Summit County is nice, don't get me wrong, but outdoor-wise it just isn't on the same level as the Butte.

I think it must be the mountains around Crusty that make it that way.... or the trails....... or something. :D

-S.S.-
:stupid:

Another great place, not as unique and awesome as CB is Winter Park.

If you're down in Teluride, stop by Ouray too.

As for when... yes :D