Quantcast

best way to adjust v-brakes

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Can someone please explain exacly how to adjust v-brakes? I've got Avids on my bike that need adjusting. My front lever has to be pulled all the way before I get any resistance, and my back lever gets resistance fairly quick, but never very much (i.e. not enough to lock up the rear wheel). I know it has to do with the way the 2 adjustment knobs are set (the larger "outter barrel adjuster, and the smaller inner, washer like adjuster) on each lever, but I can't seem to get them right.

If it matters, my pads are in good shape, and are properly adjusted with respect to the wheel.

I did some searching, both on this board and in general, and I found some good articles, but nothing very specific. Most seem to say something like, adjust the barrel adjuster so there is 1/8" of thread showing. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I tried and it didn't get me any where.

If I have to, I'll take it to my lbs... but I'd like to be able to do this kind of thing myself. BTW... I plan on taking a class this winter, but I need to be able to ride with brakes until then.

Thanks

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
You unscrew the barrel adjuster (turn it counterclockwise) until the cable is tight enough for what you want. Then, making sure not to turn the barrel adjuster, tighten the "washer" all the way down against the lever body. The only purpose of the "washer" is to keep the barrel adjuster from moving due to vibration.

If you can't get enough adjustment out of the barrel adjuster, you'll have to loosen up the cable holder on the brake caliper itself, pull a little more cable through, and re-tighten the cable bolt.

Usually, when doing your initial brake setup, you thread the barrel adjuster so that there's 1/8" of thread showing, and once that's set you do your adjustments down at the cable holder on the brake caliper. THat way, you have a lot of adjustment left in the barrel adjuster, and as the pads wear and the cable stretches, you just have to unscrew the barrel adjuster to take it up.

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
If you want to adjust tension (lever feel), and your pads are contacting the rim properly, then all you need to do is loosen the 5mm allen screw on the V-brake itself while holding the cable with a pair of pliers, and pull it a bit tighter.. loosen the screw slowly while pulling on the cable and that way it won't all go to hell on you. You probably only need to pull it about 1/4" - 1/2" tops.

Before you do this you want to adjust the barrels on the levers you are talkin about so they are almost all the way 'in'.. so that you can fine tune but adjusting that in and out.

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Yeah, I agree. If you're pulling the lever all the way to the grip, you probably have plenty of room to pull a little more cable. As Sub said, start with the barrel adjuster showing just a little thread, and pull the cable.

Also, remember that V-brakes have those spring bars that pull the arms away from the wheel. You want to make sure that the arms are pulling evenly. There's a little hex screw (usually, but sometimes it's a tiny phillips head) near the base of the brake arm...tightening that screw adds tension to the spring and pulls the brake arm away from the wheel. Remember, what you do to one arm will have some effect on the other.

Some like to have the lever pull near to the grip. It allows you to feather the brake, rather than having it almost full on with just a little lever movement. Plus, I was told hand fatigue is less (for when you're going full-on the brakes) because it takes less strength to hold the lever near the grip (fingers mostly curled) than with your fingers extended some.