Quantcast

Best year/model for Manitou single crown 6" fork?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
So I'll be slapping together an AM bike soon and I'm trying to track down a fork. To cut costs I'll be looking at 6", single crown Manitou forks because I know the resale value is horrid on these things. I never kept track of which damping system/year/model worked for them. Any ideas? Thanks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Manitou forks resell for such low prices because of their historically questionable performance and quality. You may want to spend a little more money and get something more reliable, because you'd probably wind up replacing the Manitou after 2 months anyways.

Just my $0.02

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
honestly, I'd steer clear of Manitou period. My top choice/recommendation would be Marzocchi, used ones can be found for good prices, and they are SUPER reliable and easy to service.

Jakeowens

Chimp
Feb 8, 2007
I've got a 2003 manitou sherman breakout+, TPC+ damping that's been a pretty solid performing and reliable fork.

From what I've read most people have had pretty good luck with those, SPV damping seems to be a lot worse though.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
That's what I always remembered... TPC being the better of the Manitou systems. I don't even know if I'm going to like the bike I'm building up which is why I need something inexpensive for now. I'm either going to stay with a long travel trail bike, or go to a lighter XC bike or go with a more FR bike. But I do know I won't be going back to a DH bike.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Travis 150s aren't too bad, and can be had pretty cheap. They're tanks though.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Whatever you do, dont get intrinsic. Even manitou knows that system sucks. I had a travis with intrinsic that blew. If you're wanting an all mountain fork then the nixon would be your best bet. The sherman is the beefier counter part but a tad heavier. If i were you getting a new fork i would get a marzocchi though. Maybe a 55? or 66 depending on how much travel you want. Either way the fork is more likely to last longer than a manitou.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
What you want is a 2005 Sherman Flick+, can be had new for 2 bills with TPC+, 150mm adjustable travel, Ti spring, 20mm TA etc.

Gonna require more maintenance than most, but my brother runs one and it actually feels pretty good.

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
2007 Manitou Travis 150 isn't a bad fork for a freeride application. For 2007 they fixed the dampening issues of the 2006. The fork is a beast, weighing in @ 6.5 lbs, but it won't break like the Stances do.

I have a 2006 on my Bottlerocket w/the updated innards. It works and I don't feel I am in much danger of snapping it.

Oct 29, 2007
What you want is a 2005 Sherman Flick+, can be had new for 2 bills with TPC+, 150mm adjustable travel, Ti spring, 20mm TA etc.

Gonna require more maintenance than most, but my brother runs one and it actually feels pretty good.
I have that fork actually. Does it come stock with a Ti spring? I didn't even know that was an option.

For a budget fork, it's great. Tends to feel a little rough on high-speed chatter, like bombing jeep trails, but that is my only qualm. Don't expect to get too much from the adjusters either, I have trouble feeling any difference from the compression knob. Takes big hits all day.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
My understanding is that the Sherman Firefly came with Ti springs, and all other models had steel. I could be wrong though.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
My understanding is that the Sherman Firefly came with Ti springs, and all other models had steel. I could be wrong though.
That's correct.

I have an '05 flick as well. It seems pretty decent. It does require that you add semibath oil fairly regularly. And keeping the foam rings in the wipers greased up makes it feel real plush.

I'm running mine on a bottlerocket now.

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
They're claiming to have addresses the whole "piss-oil" issues with the new 2008s. Wheather or not that's happened I dunno, but at least they've admited to the issues.