Quantcast

Better to go smaller frame or bigger?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Well... I have the option to pick up a Med SC bullit or wait for a Large SC Bullit (both new 07's) I am 6'2" and am borderline for the 2 frames... since the build kit just came in to the shop... I haven't ridden the med. around yet, but I am considering it because of the riding I intend to do, FR and use it for an intro to DH .

what do you folks think?

mace2

Chimp
Oct 27, 2004
so you've ridden the large size around?
did you wish you were on a smaller bike? if not, then wait for the large. if you felt it was a bit big, then get a medium.

kinda sucks being on the wrong frame size--make sure you get the one that fits you. even if you have to wait.

that said, i personally prefer slightly smaller frames, but i'm also not 6'2".

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
On my 1st fr/dh bike, I followed the advice of the shop rat and went small, wish I had done the opposite in the end, though!

My useless advice would be to go for the large for 2 reasons: 1. for fr, the large frame will fit you most likely better when you're pedalling around. 2. I don't know much about Bullits, but I imagine the larger frame MAY also be a slightly longer wheelbase? If so, that would add some stability to you doing any DH.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
personally i would go with the large. i'm a fan of larger frames because i feel like it's easier to adjust my weight distribution with a roomier cockpit.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
werd!

thanks for the input... both bikes will be almost identical build kits, only I can get the medium about 3 weeks earlier:twitch: which would put me right in line with having it for a couple of practice days prior to the first SnowShoe DH races at the end of the month! :disgust:

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
I'd go large too. I am about 6 feet tall and just picked up a large Demo 7. I spent some time on the medium and it felt all twitchy and unstable. i have really long arms and legs so the cockpit felt way too small too. I think at 6'2" you'd be way better off on the large. Good luck man.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I am 6, 2" and I would go for the medium...but I like smaller frames, especially for freeride stuff as I think it is nicer to have a smaller frame in the air...

tsamps

Chimp
May 6, 2007
Go with the large. Santa Cruz's tend to have shorter top tubes. And your a big guy.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
I can't speak for you, but I know that I always wished I had gotten a smaller frame.... more fun to ride

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I'm 5'5 and ride an <edit="medium" /> '04 bullit. The small would be way too small for me. I rode a large (98% sure it was) and it felt fine jumping off curbs and stuff. I think you should get the large.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Thanks guys... there is a lot of good opinions flying in both directions!

I was inclined to go with the large at first just because I have always like a longer cockpit. Although with a stem change you can equalize the lenght of cockpit, you just cant change the wheelbase that easily... and I think the longer wheelbase would be a benefit for the DH'n stuff, where as I think the Medium would be sweet for the jumpin and tight stuff...

since the new bullit is so new and has been changed I am not familiar with how ANY of them feel under me. I really like the reasoning you folks are giving... it is acually pretty interesting!

Thanks again.