Quantcast

Bielsko Biała/Szczyrk WC 2024 Race for the golden pierogi.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I know it's in 2 weeks time but I'm excited not having to drive for 10 hours to see a worldcup.

Any monkeys going by any chance? I assume no but maybe some of you are crazy enough to come here.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I know it's in 2 weeks time but I'm excited not having to drive for 10 hours to see a worldcup.
Oh that must be awful. You poor poor man :D

Brand new course sounds good - keen to see who picks it up the fastest.

Are there any Polish WC riders doing well at the moment?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
@Avy : https://www.pinkbike.com/news/norco-race-division-updates-on-greg-minnaar-and-lucas-cruzs-injuries.html

looks like Greg's gonna try and race this weekend, despite a separated shoulder...
Ah. Nostalgia Injury Riding. He did it for the fans

@toodles we have a girl junior who raced in Ft. Bill but I don't know how fast she was. For Mens we had Sławek Łukasik who had a few top 30 results and probably could be a contender if he got on a big team but he has switched to Enduro and is now podiuming at EDR's. Since there is an EDR race held at the same time I doubt he will compete.

Now DH is a bit hurt in PL. I don't follow it closely but the races have much fewer people than in the past where so many people showed up organizers had to write numbers on barbecue cardboard plates. Part of it is because enduro got bigger but part of is we had some really bad organizers who made the tracks dangerous (one is still butthurt about my criticism and after 10 years of not talking he offered to punch me for writing a comment unrelated to him...).

I hear we have one very fast mens junior so maybe he can compete? He didn't start or quality in Scotland.

Last edited:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
For Mens we had Sławek Łukasik who had a few top 30 results and probably could be a contender if he got on a big team but he has switched to Enduro and is now podiuming at EDR's. Since there is an EDR race held at the same time I doubt he will compete.
I rode with him in Tassie a couple years ago. Bloody rapid. Is he still on Yeti? Hopefully they give him one of their DH rigs

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I rode with him in Tassie a couple years ago. Bloody rapid. Is he still on Yeti? Hopefully they give him one of their DH rigs
You must be really fast if you can keep up but rn my pace is that of a weekend warrior jerry who simply can ride a bit harder trails so maybe my comp is bad. Still when I was relatively fast he was still too fast for me. He was a bit of a local Dany Hart equivalent. A kid who won with much older kids and won his divisions as soon as he joined them.

He is on the Canyon Pirelli team. So at best he will get a "play in the bearings is a feature not a bug" bike (yes that's what Canyon said to some people who bought senders)

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
You must be really fast if you can keep up but rn my pace is that of a weekend warrior jerry who simply can ride a bit harder trails so maybe my comp is bad. Still when I was relatively fast he was still too fast for me. He was a bit of a local Dany Hart equivalent. A kid who won with much older kids and won his divisions as soon as he joined them.
Oh I had no chance. I just saw him go through a few sections and he looked even faster than Rude. He just got stuck behind me when we were riding to the stage starts for marshalling setup haha.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I love some.

My gold standard is admittedly the pierogi that my highschool served once a week. With perfectly done onions and bacon. And some thicccccccc sour cream.

BRB

:drool:
Weird. Imho pierogi is the worst polish dish. Soups where it's at. Fermented bread soup served in a bread bowl with kiełbasa and egg. It's a dish created by our ancestors to make sure the tribe of Goop never visits Poland.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Weird. Imho pierogi is the worst polish dish. Soups where it's at. Fermented bread soup served in a bread bowl with kiełbasa and egg. It's a dish created by our ancestors to make sure the tribe of Goop never visits Poland.
My grandparents ruined my taste and desire for anything referred to as soup or stew.

I think they were still making it, how it was done in the great depression.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I used to get invited to dinner at a neighbors house for traditional Polish meals. I always left drunk and hungry because I couldn't eat that stuff. These were 3rd or so generation folks so if this was executed properly, I assume the 'tradition' was from when they were starving to death.

It was all lawn clippings, vinegar and if lucky some beets.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
My grandparents ruined my taste and desire for anything referred to as soup or stew.

I think they were still making it, how it was done in the great depression.

Bad soup is horrible. White people leftover soup especially since for example Vietnamese people somehow managed to make Pho from leftovers and make it really good.

I used to get invited to dinner at a neighbors house for traditional Polish meals. I always left drunk and hungry because I couldn't eat that stuff. These were 3rd or so generation folks so if this was executed properly, I assume the 'tradition' was from when they were starving to death.

It was all lawn clippings, vinegar and if lucky some beets.
This is true Poles like vinegary shit for drinking but it's not food per se. It's not what you eat for dinner. It's what you eat for drinking vodka which is pickles, herring and shit like that. Unless you mean Xmas Eve meals since those are the stuff of horrors and one needs to avoid them. The good shit is "Żurek", "Bigos", "Schabowy" (basically a Schnitzel), Sorrel Soup, Potato Pancakes with Goulash. There is more if you know how to look. A lot of good polish cuisine was forgotten during communism but if any of you visit Warsaw I can take you to 2 places with kick ass polish food.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Is all central european food a random combination of flour/onion/potato/maybe butter?
It's more a result of communist times killing our recipes. Also Hungary was different and same for seaside balkans.

But we eat a ton of seasonal veggies, a ton of cabbage, white cheese, mushrooms and as mentioned a fuckton of soups and kiełbasa ofc.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
oh man, my polish grandmother used to make the best cabbage rolls & perogies. big fan of the borscht as well.

what was this thread about?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
So more about racing. Since IG is shit at sharing:

This is the organizer page and some more sneak peaks in stories. I'm still worried it will be a bikepark trail but lets hope not

Also race map for Enduro that will tell you nothing

1715423604723.png

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Bad soup is horrible. White people leftover soup especially since for example Vietnamese people somehow managed to make Pho from leftovers and make it really good.

This is true Poles like vinegary shit for drinking but it's not food per se. It's not what you eat for dinner. It's what you eat for drinking vodka which is pickles, herring and shit like that. Unless you mean Xmas Eve meals since those are the stuff of horrors and one needs to avoid them. The good shit is "Żurek", "Bigos", "Schabowy" (basically a Schnitzel), Sorrel Soup, Potato Pancakes with Goulash. There is more if you know how to look. A lot of good polish cuisine was forgotten during communism but if any of you visit Warsaw I can take you to 2 places with kick ass polish food.
hahaha-wife's best friend is polish and does the traditional many-course xmas eve meal. we've been...let's just say i was glad that we were "sick" last year and had an excuse to stay home :rofl:

looking forward to vids starting to come out about this weekend's race!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Has there been any further about the race or track?

Any teams there yet?
Trek is here, Same for Commencal. No Stories yet. Kerr, Blenki and Wyn are in a different part of Poland doing shuttles on arguably a better dh track ;)

hahaha-wife's best friend is polish and does the traditional many-course xmas eve meal. we've been...let's just say i was glad that we were "sick" last year and had an excuse to stay home :rofl:

looking forward to vids starting to come out about this weekend's race!
Yeah Xmas is shit here. Some dishes work if done really well but it's communism that did this. I've read some books and the food for Xmas used to be good before that

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
maybe they're busy looking for their stolen bikes?!
Damn....yeah

So more got stolen?

Speaking of which, I got my Frameworks tshirt last night in the mail. Not sure if beer was involved, but I ordered the wrong one. I wanted the one that said "frameworks" and not just the logo. Oh well, I hope it helps them a little. :rofl:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Canyon Enduro team had their bikes nicked already. Bloody hell. Don't thieves know there's supposed to be a surplus of bikes and demand is an all time low?
In Poland? I mean I know people had their bikes stolen in Poland but in general it's a rarer thing than bike theft in places like Morzine or Quebec

in germany we say „kaum in polen schon gestohlen“
I thought it was "come to Poland, your car is already here". Though it's more of a thing from the 90s. I think Albania now has that crown.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
In Poland? I mean I know people had their bikes stolen in Poland but in general it's a rarer thing than bike theft in places like Morzine or Quebec

I thought it was "come to Poland, your car is already here". Though it's more of a thing from the 90s. I think Albania now has that crown.
I had a very juvenile moment and thought it said "cum in pollen, schlong gets stolen." In my defense English is my third language and I apologize profusely!