Quantcast

big boy rims (Clyde worthy)

UNITH

Chimp
May 11, 2005
What should i be looking for when it comes to picking rims. I'm building my own wheel set, what companies should i stay away from? Should i go with 32 or 36 holes? does the hub quality matter? Chris King or hayes? dt swiss spokes and nipples? free ride/downhill, or x/c rims? Please help me get on the right track, thanks in advance.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Sun big fat mammoths. I have one set of wheels which I trued once in 7 years. 36 hole straight gauge definitely.

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
UNITH said:
What should i be looking for when it comes to picking rims. I'm building my own wheel set, what companies should i stay away from? Should i go with 32 or 36 holes? does the hub quality matter? Chris King or hayes? dt swiss spokes and nipples? free ride/downhill, or x/c rims? Please help me get on the right track, thanks in advance.
im riding a 36 spoke salsa gordo rim (you can get from 32-48 spokes) on the rear of my fisher, it as straight gauge spokes, brass nipples and an XT hub......plus its rim/disk brake set-up...........when i tear up my front rim this is the same set-up ill be doing for the front

i weigh in at a hefty 280#s so its standing up to me doing 2' drops on the trails

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
6'7" - 265#
Rims - Arrow DHX 36 hole front & rear
Spokes - 14g
Hubs - Hadley (F-20mm R-12mm 72pt)

These bad boys (coupled with the Arrow Ramped Bite 2.5 Slow React compound tires) are the most reliable wheelset I've ever owned. Rode them at Whistler for 5 days straight then went to Deer Valley for 3 more days of riding....One word: Bombproof.

UNITH

Chimp
May 11, 2005
I ride disc brakes, its hard to find clyde rims with 36 or more holes. Any suggestions?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
240, 5'11 running Arrow DHX's as well.........not really a "trail worthy" rim, but if you're into DH stuff they take the beatings well!

I have Sun Singletracks and Mavic EX721's on 2 different bikes. Both are about the same weight, ment for the same style of riding.....and I'd take the EX721's anyday over the Sun's. Just the profile and the company's products seem to be better made.

A wheel built with 32h rims, 14g stright spokes (2.0) is a pretty strong wheel. The same wheel with a 36h rim/hub combo is a tad stronger......but in most cases the strength difference isn't that noticeable. If you're going to hurt say a DHX rim 32h you will do the same to a 36h. 4 spokes won't make that much difference.

Good Luck!