Quantcast

big rubber

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
So what is the biggest tire now? Is it the Gazzo 3.0 or Kenda 2.7? I keep hearing the Kenda is HUGE. Im just curious. Do many people run the Gazzo 3.0 or Kenda 2.7? I like smaller tires myself.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
next year there wont even be a 3" gazza, they are only going to have 2.6 and the other size, the tread has been completely redesigned

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I've never measured, but it seems that the 2.7 Kenda might be the biggest excluding any 3.0 Gazzis and Arrows that might be around. I think the tread is just as big or a bit bigger than the Mich 2.8. The Michelin, however, does have bigger air volume.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think the Michelin 2.8's are about as big as anything out there right now - they have a huge amount of air volume...

I've never seen a Kenda side by side with the Michelin to compare. Seems like Kenda is making some really good stuff these days, might have to pick up a set when I need new tires.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I have a 2.8 Hutch Octopus at home, which might be the biggest tire I've ever seen!!!

Carlos (Joe Pozer) had a 2.7 Kenda Nevegal on the front of his V10 and it's HUGE - bigger than the Comp 32 IMO.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
binary visions said:
:eek:

WTF are you of all people doing with a 3.0" tire?!
was given to me by Hutch to try out...never really asked for it and I doubt I'll ever use it. Heck I find the Comp 32's to be too big...so imagining the Hutch.

I'll take pics if it tonight...but its not mounted or anything. I think [un] tried mounting some on his V10 a while back and it barely cleared.

and BTW..they are not 3.0 but 2.8's...sorry.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Kanter sports wood for tire threads.
Dude, you should seriously get a job in the industry.
Or get the Government to hire you and you can come up with a standard for measuring tires for all companies. :)

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
I run a 3.0 Nokian up front on my Boxxer race...it barely fits and makes a lot of people laugh. But like I said, I love having a huge tire up front. All I have to do with my bike is point and shoot. It goes everywhere...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
well I have actually measured the Kenda 2.7 vs. a 2.8 Michy....depends on the rim as well but the Kenda was slightly larger...D

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Jeremy R said:
Kanter sports wood for tire threads.
Dude, you should seriously get a job in the industry.
Or get the Government to hire you and you can come up with a standard for measuring tires for all companies. :)
I just cant believe the difference in sizes from company to company. Since some bikes will only fit a certain size, the sizing should be more accurate. I like changing tires 2-3 times a year but I have to stay with the same tire because if I try something different, it wont fit. Im finally set on tires. Kenda DH Nev and BG 2.35s for trail and FR and Maxxis 2.5/2.7 SRY for resorts. I sure wish tire companys would get their sheet together. Ive owned a lot of tires.

Me vs Tire Companys :nuts:

mmaddmark

Monkey
Feb 24, 2004
3.0 up front sun double wide with a monster t. could you do any less...its just right. why,cuz i go BIG!

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
the 24 x 3 inch Gazzi is the broadest tread I believe. I once had one mounted on a 24" Doublewide, and it was huge. For 26's I think the 3 inch Gazzi is the biggest (although the tread is not so big relative to the casing). I'd argue that the Michelin 2.8 is larger than the Kenda, because even though the Michelin has a smaller tread pattern relative to its casing size (like the Gazzi) it's overall volume is still huge. The 2.7 inch Kenda I ran last year was pretty big and tough, but it fit easily in an 03 Boxxer.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
I have been lurking, and posting some, for a long time and I have always that kanters title was funny, but had never actually seen a thread about it. I was extremely excited to see this one.

To keep this from being completely off topic I have a 2.7x24 maxxis dh tire that looks ridiculously large, but cleared my psylo by a good bit.

edit: Damn just realized this thread is hella old, guess I will have to wait to see a truely fresh Kanter tire thread.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
So am i the only one that think the 3.0's and 2.8's of the world have a place? I mean in suuuuper rocky steep stuff they would be great esp without big tall lugs and a relatively low profile. I think companys should begin producting lighterweight casing 2.8's and such, get them down to the 800 gram mark, i would love to rock a tire like that on the front of my bike...Not everyone needs casing that can with stand a bullet...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Acadian said:
was given to me by Hutch to try out...never really asked for it and I doubt I'll ever use it. Heck I find the Comp 32's to be too big...so imagining the Hutch.
I thought the same thing about the comp 32 until ste anne and mt snow this year. 2.8 tires have their place! Hell, I flatted a comp 32 at 25 pounds in my front tire somehow??

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I ran the Nokian up front, it was killer. It was like having my own two wheeled Big Foot. I just rammed over everything.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
SteezyWeezy said:
arent those street tires? like hookworms?
not so much, they are so big that you dont need big paddle tires...I rode a pugsly in some muddy snowy conditions with about 18 psi in those big fattys and it got amazing traction.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
manhattanprjkt83 said:
So am i the only one that think the 3.0's and 2.8's of the world have a place?
In the past month I've been trying set-ups that I am firmly against, just to prove myself right; i.e. fat tires. The Michy comp 32 (2.8) mounted tubeless on a crossmaxx rim has now earned a spot in my arsenal. Not for rocky terrain (I feel that a smaller tire is more accurate through most rock gardens), but for some of the steep, loose stuff I've been riding. Truth be told, it's noticeably lighter than my tubed 2.5 maxxis set-up that I normally run so it doesn't feel slugish, it just doesn't edge as well.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Kanter said:
Thanks, now I can do some light reading. I believe tires make a HUGE difference. If my threads about tires are so terrible, why do they get so many hits and replies. :)

I think the title of this thread is my favorite.
yea, i belive tires make a huge difference too. but then again treads started by those sb kids get loads of hits too, but just not good ones.:p :rofl:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
dhkid said:
yea, i belive tires make a huge difference too. but then again treads started by those sb kids get loads of hits too, but just not good ones.:p :rofl:

At least my threads get good responses and lots of info for people to read and bring up years later.... :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Kanter said:
At least mine get good hits and lots of info for people to real and bring up years later.... :)
yeah, great content like this, eh? :rofl:

mmaddmark said:
3.0 up front sun double wide with a monster t. could you do any less...its just right. why,cuz i go BIG!

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
binary vision said:
Those took me all of thirty seconds to dig up, I'm sure there are more :p
I was excited about a fresh one though. Kanter ask some new tire questions. In a new thread.

Please?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Whoever measures tires at Maxxis would be super popular at a measuring booth at the Pride parade.

"oh yeah man, thats fully 9 inches. I do this professionally you know."

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Kanter said:
If my threads about tires are so terrible, why do they get so many hits and replies. :)
I didn't call them terrible. I was just posting some links to demonstrate where your custom title came from :p

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think big tires definately have their place. Where it's loose, exposed, and gravely, big rubber is sweet. At Mammoth, for instance, the bigger the better. I run a Specialized Roller RS 2.6 front and rear. I swear those things are like 3" wide, though, they're FRIKKEN HUGE. However, most places don't really warrant big tires.