BigHit Tuning Question

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
Heyy,

I am wondering if anyone can

:monkey:Point me toward a tuning guide
:monkey:tell me what the three upper shock mounts do on the '01/'02 Specialized BigHit. I assume it's something to do with suspension rate (falling/linear/progressive?), but which hole corresponds with which?
:monkey:has anyone mapped this (or a similar) suspension? I'd like to look at the axle path, etc.

Thanks in advance,

-J-

Gromit

Chimp
Feb 11, 2002
First of all - this goes for all you other Big Hit owners as well - I've noticed that my rear brake line is rubbing on my left chainstay link. By this, I mean taking-off-material type of rubbing. I'd recommend putting something like a tire patch on your frame at the two spots where the brake line rubs. I don't know if everyone's Big Hits including '02 models also have this problem - anybody care to chime in? :confused:

I can't find it now, but somebody had posted that they tried the three upper shock mounting positions and found that the top position was a little more plush. I can't speak to how it affects the travel rates, but I'd assume that it's a bit easier to bottom out the shock in the top position rather than the bottom.

Wardy

Chimp
Nov 9, 2001
England
I have a 2002 bighit DH and have found that the lowest shock position gives the softest initial travel and the top mounting gives the firmest initial travel.
I have found that in the lowest position the shock still resists bottom out on things like low speed drops but gives a better feel over smaller roots and little bumps.
I think that Briantx (not sure if this is the right username) over in the DH forum was going to contact Specialized to ask the question about the shock positions and he was going to post back.
I would think that someone with good suspension knowledge should be able to give a good technical explanation.

Wardy

Chimp
Nov 9, 2001
England
I posted a new more general thread in the DH forum and found out what i kind of thought.
The top mounting position gives the most linear action and the action becomes more progressive as you use the 2 lower mounting positions.
I have mine in the bottom position and prefer this.
It was also pointed out that the positions have very little noticeable effect and I would have to agree having done a bit of experimenting.
How do you find the rebound on your bike Shibby.
Mine was pretty fast and I have to run around 8 clicks to get it to feel right.
Cheers

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
i like mine pretty fast, but i really don't count clicks... i'll have a look sometime for ya

i just tried out the 5.5" position (this is the Comp, mind you), and i think i'm in love... pedals really nicely and drops are buttah for some reason with the firmer travel

i'm going to move the upper mount to the lowest hole tonight (it's in the middle right now)

thanks

Oct 30, 2001
Fremont
I asked:
Besides the linkage adjustments my frame has THREE shock mount positions on the main frame. How do these affect the travel properties in terms of progression and linear characteristics?

Answer:
The mounting positions are to adjust the rate of travel in the rear shock. The top hole is for a linear rate of travel. As you position the shock in the other 2 holes, the shock will travel in a more progressive rate of travel. Positioning the shock in the lowest hole results in the most progressive travel rate.

Go Big.

I have yet to fiddle around with mine.