Quantcast

Bike Brand Questions

metalchef87

Chimp
Aug 24, 2008
Berea, Kentucky
So I have been looking for a good, affordable mountain bike and I think I found one at my LBS that I want to get. I just need some help deciding if it is a brand that will last a few years, or if I should just spend some extra dough and get a more expensive bike.

The bike is here:
http://www.khsbicycles.com/04_alite_300_08.htm

It's the LBS owner's favorite brand, he says they are durable and reliable, at a more affordable price because they aren't well known...

speed2

Chimp
Jul 27, 2008
Slovenia
1. for what would u use the bike
2.just spend some extra dough and get something else, my friend had bike like that and it broke 2 months after he bought it
cheers mate

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
There is nothing inherently wrong with KHS, but what other brands are offered at your local shops?

There are plenty of brands that are worth considering, but as mentioned above, it would help to know what type of riding to expect to do as well as your height, weight, experience level, etc.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
another thing to keep in mind is that when a shop tells you this, it may be because it's a brand he makes his most profit on. KHS isn't a huge brand when compared to say Trek and Specialized, but depending on the parts on it, it may be a good deal. the real test is when you have a problem with the frame and how the company handles the warranty. if you dont feel comfortable with the brand, go to something more popular. if you can find an IronHorse dealer, i would recommend them. i have one and it's just been great.

metalchef87

Chimp
Aug 24, 2008
Berea, Kentucky
I will be using it for trail riding and maybe some pretty intense trail riding/downhill, but mostly trails. I test rode it and really like it, but he also offers Marin bikes, but they are more expensive there. He will also order basically any brand, but it costs a pretty penny.

As far as the components on the bike they are, to my knowledge, not the best but pretty darn good.

Basically I really like the bike, so should I go with it or look around some more?

FreeRider133

Chimp
Aug 21, 2008
I would not recommned using that bike for any downhilling. Dirt trails sound fine. I also like Ironhorse for the lower cost "less popular" alternative.

metalchef87

Chimp
Aug 24, 2008
Berea, Kentucky
The other bike shops within 50 miles of me sale specialized, kona, marin, cannondale, and giant bikes. Although the shop that sells the cannondale and giant bikes is very over priced, and they don't really offer any incentives for buying like the other shops. The shop that sells the specialized and kona bikes offer lifetime free tuneups while the shop that sales the marin and khs bikes offers one year of free tuneups and 10% off anything in the store with a bike purchase.

metalchef87

Chimp
Aug 24, 2008
Berea, Kentucky
SO I got my bike today! A Specialized Hardrock Sport 08!!!!! It is such an awesome bike...I have already put in probably 10 miles and love it. Thanks for the advice.

Uphiller

Chimp
Jul 24, 2002
I'll probably get flamed for this, but brands don't matter. Find the frame/bike that fits you and your riding style and is affordable to you. Go out, ride the hel1 out of it and enjoy it. Rinse and repeat. If it breaks, warranty it and/or get a replacement. Brands only matter to the other person looking at it (and/or if you're trying to impress based on $$$$ or mystique or ??).
I've had hi-zoot frames that were crap and low-end stuff that made me buy lights so I could ride at night. Many brands are made in the same factory anyway.

PS - Congrats on your new purchase. Enjoy!