Quantcast

Bike Commuting

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
How many miles do you commute to work on your bike?

Oh, and what do you ride as a commuter?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
about 15 total.

I either bike to the transit center and catch the bus or take the bus to the transit center and bike from there. When it gets nicer, I might bike the whole way in then bus it home.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
about 15 total.

I either bike to the transit center and catch the bus or take the bus to the transit center and bike from there. When it gets nicer, I might bike the whole way in then bus it home.
15 miles one way?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
About 8 each way depending on route. I just grab whatever bike I feel like riding, I don't have one specifically for commuting.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
In the morning, about 4 miles to the train, but I ride home 2-3 times a week, which is 40 miles.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's 15 miles door to door.

If I bike to the transit center, it's 9 miles. If I bike from there to the office, it's 6 miles. I don't bike door to door.

I am also doing it on a Specialized BigHit that sits about 38 pounds currently. The 24" rear isn't the best commuting option, but it's my "XC" bike.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Well my office is moving and I "think" I have a pretty good back-road ride planned out. We're moving to about 18miles away and I feel pretty good that I can do it. My ONLY concern is sometimes on the spur of the moment I get a call and need to run out to a job site.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I hate long commutes in the morning. Public transportation solves that dilemma.

Crack Monkey

Chimp
Mar 5, 2007
I'm planning to start as soon as it's light in the mornings and evenings (in a week or so). I'll be going 12-15 miles, one-way (depends if I take any side-streets, or just the main trail). I figure it'll take just under an hour to start, and proably be down to 40 minutes once I'm used to it. I'll be riding a Cannondale R800, and leaving most of my stuff at the office and carrying as little as possible.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
About 4 miles round trip. I ride what ever is closest to the top of the bike pile. Lately I've been riding the 24" cruiser I just bought from kiwiintexas. 4 miles standing up the whole way is torture. My thighs hate me. But as they say, what doesn't kill you just makes you stronger. (Or is it, makes you easier to kill next time, I can never remember.)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I hate long commutes in the morning. Public transportation solves that dilemma.
Yup, that's why I use the bus for a leg of mine. I could ride to the TC and take the MAX train a few stops, then ride in from there, but it's about the same time on the bus. The bus stop is about a mile and the train is about 3 from the office.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I used to commute 8 miles round trip with with some insane grade on the way back home. 3 of the 4 miles back was up a steep ass hill.

Now If I wanted to ride to work I would be a 40 mile each way ride. I'm really not feeling it. I might move closer soon so I can save some gas.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I wish I could ride my cruiser to work. I rode it 2 miles to my wife's softball game last year. I thought I was going to die.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
4 miles each way, maybe 2x week on average. i ride my road bike, with a light and full fenders since seattle is dark and rainy in the winter, just like the rumors say.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I wish I could ride my cruiser to work. I rode it 2 miles to my wife's softball game last year. I thought I was going to die.
I'm running a 30-13 on 24"s. Feels evil.

It wasn't bad the first two days, the third day sucked, and the fourth day, I had to walk up one of the hills. My legs were toast. Day 5 I went back to a geared bike for some recovery time. I'll try again next week maybe or the week after.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm running a 30-13 on 24"s. Feels evil.

It wasn't bad the first two days, the third day sucked, and the fourth day, I had to walk up one of the hills. My legs were toast. Day 5 I went back to a geared bike for some recovery time. I'll try again next week maybe or the week after.
Oh and mine is a 50lb 1960's Schwinn Cruizer

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Once it's warm enough and light enough at 6:15 am I try to do it every day.Exactly seven miles each way except for the two days a week when it's twelve miles home. I only have a hardtail, so that's what I ride. This summer I might give myself a treat and pick up some slicks for it, and maybe a new seat since I'm tired of my junk going numb.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
nice bikes Stosh -

how the hell are ya btw???
I've been good! Our office is moving to a sweet location both closer to home and closer to my riding location.

On a side note Aubrey is 25weeks pregnant. I can't wait till we have our bouncing little girl.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've been good! Our office is moving to a sweet location both closer to home and closer to my riding location.

On a side note Aubrey is 25weeks pregnant. I can't wait till we have our bouncing little girl.
Wait until she is 6 and still bouncing and loud as hell :D

Don't get me wrong, I love my daughter. But she is constant, there is no off button. Enjoy the silence while you can.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
About 3.5 miles to or from the train, but in the evening I often extend it out to anywhere from 10 - 30 miles. I usually ride my fixed gear or my hardtail but will take the road bike if I'm planning a longer ride in the evening. 2-3 times a week.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
1.5 miles ... either my 29er SS or my freeride bike.

It is another 1.5 miles to the off-site storage facility.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
when I work, I ride my CX bike. I have special keyed skewers and a heavy duty krypto chain to chain it up.

In your case, I'd use a road bike and load up on lights/reflectors for the old jews and hillbillies in your area.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
~10 miles each way.

i ride my road bike.

though i have ridden my mtb, and taken trails where i can on the way home. it's longer, but i could reasonably string together a route back home on ~80% dirt.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Wait until she is 6 and still bouncing and loud as hell :D

Don't get me wrong, I love my daughter. But she is constant, there is no off button. Enjoy the silence while you can.
You should meet my dog, talk about no OFF button.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I sorta burned out on RM for a bit.
Twisted my ankle and then tweaked my knee (I think its a fat guy/fit issue) and have been playing as much bike polo as my sched allows me to. Daaaaamns...

Laek House is good and I'm in the forthcoming Dirt Rag and May issue of Outside. Sweeeeet!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I sorta burned out on RM for a bit.
Twisted my ankle and then tweaked my knee (I think its a fat guy/fit issue) and have been playing as much bike polo as my sched allows me to. Daaaaamns...

Laek House is good and I'm in the forthcoming Dirt Rag and May issue of Outside. Sweeeeet!
Thanks for the reminder I need to renew my DR subscription.

I was just thinking about the concert Aubrey and I went to when we met up with you before it. The both of us had a ball for that 45min we hung out and often talk about it.