Quantcast

bike computer on a 29er

mr_frosty

Chimp
Jul 20, 2011
Does the bigger wheels screw up the computer math? Seems like the odometer would be wrong for sure which would screw everything else up too.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Does the bigger wheels screw up the computer math? Seems like the odometer would be wrong for sure which would screw everything else up too.
no, all computers have settings for pretty much every wheel and tire size available. during setup, a specific code for that particular wheel/tire size is entered and all is good.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
no, all computers have settings for pretty much every wheel and tire size available. during setup, a specific code for that particular wheel/tire size is entered and all is good.
Bike computers work on the actual circumference of your wheel and tire choice.

The most accurate way is to perform a rollout, a complete revolution of the front wheel. Mark the start and the finish on the floor then measure.

Your computer should be able to take the circumference.

Most people are too lazy, like me, and just for the estimated number to input.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
Not at all. Every (non GPS) computer needs to be set to the wheel/tire size of the bicycle. Most can be calibrated for diameters from 12 to 39 inches.