Quantcast

Bike Frame Height

issmo

Chimp
Mar 2, 2004
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
i'm new to MTB and m 5' 11" tall, slim built. i've recently acquired a 15.5 size Haro EX0, but was told by a friend that it's too low for me.

is this a problem and what if any, are my options? Thx.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
When it comes to size, every mfg is a little different. Top tube length is a better indicater- The length of a bike can be adjusted by swapping to a longer/shorter stem, but not without affecting the handling and you position/center of gravity on the bike.

That being said, 15.5" usually means small. At your height, you should most likely be on a large. Some bike brands run long top tubes (like Trek/Fisher) which means that you might be able to get away with a medium. How you are proportioned also has an effect. If you have a long-for-your-height torso, an XL might be better. If you have a short torso, mediums might be more likely to fit. When you buy a bike, it is most often sozed around you torso kength. Say you had a freakishly long torso and bought a large. The catalog might say that you are the perfect fit for the bike, but in order to make it fit you, you had to put a stem on that was 30mm longer than stock. This would lead to your weight hanging out over hte front. Very bad, especially when going down hill. On the other hand, if you had a very short torso, you could stick to the large, raise the seat height a little, and put a slightly shorter stem on. Rider preference also comes into play, but by the sound of your post, you are too new for that to be a factor (NOT a jib/insult..., just an observation).

I hope that this isn't too confusing. It is much easier to show than to explain. If you start looking at new bikes, look for a shop that is willing to trade stems if need be.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Riding XC, the fit of that frame may be a little tight. Go for a long ride and see how comfortable you feel. If you feel cramped, try to get a really long stem with a rise of 10 degrees or so and move your seat back a little.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I always buy frames that are a little 'small' by conventional measures - they are more versatile. As long as you arn't smaking your knees on the bars...

Your friend will be jealous when you start jumping, or doing any technical riding really..