Quantcast

bike from 800-1200?

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
I am a freerider that realized he lives in a flat state and now I am trading in my bike to become a roadie but I need to get a bike in the price range from 800 to 1200 for local rides any thouts?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Thoughts:

1. Do you need to sell your other bike to get your roadie? :(

3. Buy the frame, not the components. You're much better off with a frame that fits you better and 105 than a not as good frame with Ultegra.

B. Pay to be measured and fitted. If you can find a reputable guy, it's worth the money to avoid buy a bike that's not quite right.

&. If you can get a closeout/clearance/last years model, you'll save money. Like the Fuji Roubaix Pro is 853 steel and can be had for less than $1000.

L. Beware of looking at different years of the same model. For example, this years Fuji R.Pro is not steel.

Opie. Here's some bikes I like in your range (but again, it's about fit):
- 2004 Fuji R.Pro
- Jamis Satellite
- Lemond Croix de Fer

*. When you test ride, don't focus on the components, just the feel and fit.

good luck, have fun, keep us posted.

J

JRB

Giant has some nice OCRs for that range and they are pretty adjustable. If you can get a steel bike that fits well for that, don't hesitate. I took a spin on my new frame today and I was very happy.

J

JRB

LordOpie said:
did you fine tune the adjustment? Ya know, like fixed those whacky handlebars?
I put some Salsa short and shallows on, despite the fact they are ergo, and liked them pretty well. The frame feels just like my Tomasso, but feels much more solid in the rear. I just messed with the tilt, rolling the bars a bit more and raising the hoods. I think it will ride better. I saw some Bontrager bars that are flat across the top and the bottom and think I will look for something with that design, but I am going to try the Salsas for a bit, since they are $30. I also got a new SLR gel flow to try. My friend hated it, and I fixed his SID for him tonight, so I may have a new saddle. I did 22 miles on the Interloc and really liked it. It was windy as all get out, though. :dead:

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
hey thanks, I used to work at a cannondale dealer that does a full on fit kit with every new bike, what would you recomend to start out steel or alu?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Serial Midget said:
if you can find a steel frame in your price range... loopie already said it!!! Pay Attention - this is not a read through. :monkey:

oh and... welcome to the monkey.
PS: Just listen to whatever SM says or 1.5 yrs later he'll be saying "told ya so" :blah:

I have no regrets I have no regrets I have no regrets
:D

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
Man sorry about that, (it's from staring at a computer 18 hours a day)I am gettign a deal on a 04 R1000 for $1150 from a local shop, now I just need to sell my freeride bike anyone want a Soul Titan with new 24" Bombshells and a new Pike sl