Quantcast

BIKE magazine

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
Been there, Done that. I was fortunate enough to meet Forest a few years back and ride his trail. It was alot different than the one Bike did the article on but still killer. And the houses are insane! It really does look like a hobbit community.

Apr 28, 2006
Kirkland, WA
i also read the article and was curious. i understand that it's his private trail, but is anyone able to give out the location as to where the trail is, or is it secret?

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
The article made it sound like the trail was on Weyerhaeuser or DNR land. Not sure you can claim that the trail is his...from a property rights pov...technically. One of the article's main points was that his trails are getting clear-cut.

Don't bash me now.:bonk: I'm not advocating we rush up there and poach it.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I know the spot and I didnt have to give or recieve said RA. Still never rode there tho... the funny thing is its on MTBR..... but everyone says its closed down......

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
do you want me to scan it, go the mag right here with most of the pages (some of it fell out)

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
sorry to interrupt this great conversation but which of our fine local grocery retailers stock Bike? thanks

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
sorry if i sound stupid, but i dont understand what you mean.
You dont sound stupid, I was just being sarcastic.

That is all I will say. I dont know if its a private trail or not...although, the secret trail police came to my house in the middle of the night to kidnap my first born to make sure I dont tell anyone.... :busted:

Neal

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
I'd like to ride this trail. How do I get there? Head North from Seattle on the I-5. Take a right in Bellingham. Stop at gnome-ville. Pay respects. From there, it's fuzzy. Do I just follow the skidder and the logging truckts?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Post was reported here for giving a location of a secret trail. We can't effectively enforce all "secrets" like that, but please be respectful of when trails aren't public knowledge and aren't to be ridden by the general masses. This message board gets a lot of visitors each month so a secret trail has the potential to be quickly overrun.

Thanks!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Post was reported here for giving a location of a secret trail. We can't effectively enforce all "secrets" like that, but please be respectful of when trails aren't public knowledge and aren't to be ridden by the general masses. This message board gets a lot of visitors each month so a secret trail has the potential to be quickly overrun.

Thanks!

Did anyone really give out the location?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Secret trail..... but Bike writes an article about it and who built it..... hmmmm :)

Bike printed a pic of a secret trail here in Whitefish MT and a few months later the Forest Service burnt all the stunt down.

Did anyone notice the pic on the last page of said Bike mag. Its a Kranked 6 add. The stunt looks CRAZY.

Neal

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
My directions were fairly crisp. Pretty much anyone can get there now - especially with the gps coordinates posted up on the interweb

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
I asked to have the location taken down.

I have ridden there for years, know Forest well, and put in 10 days or so full days digging on the trail. I'm not claiming builder, I've just helped a little. There are only about 15-20 people who ride there regularly, and they all have helped dig, or have their own trails, or both. I have not invited many of my riding acquaintances out to ride, only those that have put in some sweat equity.

The trail should not have directions, location, mt name, or cute hints posted on the net. The builders would like the trail kept secret. If you know where it is, you should feel fortunate, and do your part to keep it buff and dialed, and the neighbors and loggers happy. You may show trusted friends, but not everyone you know, much less anybody and everybody on the internet.

The main builders live at the end of a dirt road. They are great guys, but value privacy and seclusion. As do their nieghbors. People live out in the middle of nowhere for a reason.
Random crowds of strange dudes showing up in their driveway are not welcome.

If you are psyched on the trail, take that stoke and build your own sick spot or help a local builder buff their trail. Maybe you'll meet someone who'll invite you.

Please respect the builders wishes.

scotteric

Chimp
May 11, 2004
seattle
The main builders live at the end of a dirt road. They are great guys, but value privacy and seclusion. As do their nieghbors. People live out in the middle of nowhere for a reason.

If you are psyched on the trail, take that stoke and build your own sick spot or help a local builder buff their trail. Maybe you'll meet someone who'll invite you.

Please respect the builders wishes.[/QUOTE]

theres a novel concept, respecting a builders wishes. too many people whine about not having anyhwere to ride but not enough do anything to change it. do some research, find a good spot and get to it. there is a lot of land around seattle that has been logged at one time or another and is not over run by hikers or equestrians just waiting for a cool line.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The trail should not have directions, location, mt name, or cute hints posted on the net. The builders would like the trail kept secret. If you know where it is, you should feel fortunate, and do your part to keep it buff and dialed, and the neighbors and loggers happy. You may show trusted friends, but not everyone you know, much less anybody and everybody on the internet.

Not a good idea to do an article in a HUGE bike mag then. Not good planning on their part.

Hey guys, let's live private and ride private trails, but let's do an article in a mag about it. Then eveyone will know about it and want to ride it but they cant becaue its private. Nice.

Why in the hell do a article in a mag at all if they are so private people? Most private people keep to themselves and wouldnt do an article like that in the first place.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Not a good idea to do an article in a HUGE bike mag then.
Good point, but I agree with everything he said.
See thread called Duvall trails. The one of many.
Or any of the exits...

The trail(s) we are working on now will be shown to NO ONE. Not even some of the people that helped work on the Duvall trails will know about these ones. Some of them have too many "close, personal" friends.
Don't get me wrong, they will get found eventually. In the meantime people will bitch about secret trails. To them I say - GO BUILD YOUR OWN. I don't care about the argument that they are built on public property, I'm still not telling anyone where their at.
And we are also in the planning stages on some trails that will be built on private property (with owners permission) that will be kept the same way.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
This is a real interesting thread. For me it spells out the biggest problem of all. In Seattle we have a ton of good and great riders with no where legal to go. I think it's time to get behind those that have already organized. Even if you don't think they represent you specifically. They do work with local land owners and governmets and if freeriders and downhillers add themselves to the ranks of the XC riders via organizations like BBTC and the Cascade Bike Club, we can be a part of moving the ski hills and other rec lands towards our needs. Peace!

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
This is a real interesting thread. For me it spells out the biggest problem of all. In Seattle we have a ton of good and great riders with no where legal to go. I think it's time to get behind those that have already organized. Even if you don't think they represent you specifically. They do work with local land owners and governmets and if freeriders and downhillers add themselves to the ranks of the XC riders via organizations like BBTC and the Cascade Bike Club, we can be a part of moving the ski hills and other rec lands towards our needs. Peace!
Ditto!:clapping:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
The trail(s) we are working on now will be shown to NO ONE. Not even some of the people that helped work on the Duvall trails will know about these ones. Some of them have too many "close, personal" friends.
Don't get me wrong, they will get found eventually. In the meantime people will bitch about secret trails. To them I say - GO BUILD YOUR OWN. I don't care about the argument that they are built on public property, I'm still not telling anyone where their at.
And we are also in the planning stages on some trails that will be built on private property (with owners permission) that will be kept the same way.
Hello?!?!?! Are you at least going to tell me!:brow: