Quantcast

Bike Vermont trip

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Over the weekend, the GF and I went on a Bike Vermont trip. We stayed in a B&B in Shoreham Vt, which is near Ticonderoga NY.

We arrived on Friday afternoon and were shown to our room. We were given the Baseball room. The GF, being a big baseball (Red Sox) fan, was estatic.

Dinner Friday night was Haddock. Since I don't eat fish, and they knew because they asked when we signed up, I got bangers and mash. That's British for sausage and mashed potato. The bangers were buffalo, and the only way you could tell the difference was they were darker than pork.

Saturday's ride was a jaunt to Middlebury. The route was about 19 miles to Middlebury, lunch, then you could take a 13 mile option or go back to Shoreham. The group was 20 strong, with 4 younger girls. There were 3 real road bikes, mine, the GF's and a custom Seven. The woman who owned the Seven was a lot faster than the rest of us. Sorry, no pics of the bikes. The rest of the bikes were comfort bikes.

Various shots from the ride.
This house was just renovated and is for sale.

This is a very unusual covered bridge. It has 2 seperate lanes. It was built 1808-1820 and rebuilt in 1980

A pedestrian bridge was built next to it and we were encouraged to ride the pedestrial bridge.

In the town of Middlebury is a marble works and they donated a pedestrian bridge across a river.

The marble works used to use water power until recently, and here are the remnants.

The extra loop included going past the Morgan Horse Farm and Museum.

Morgan Horses

More country views.

We ended up doing 49 miles. The "fast" girl did just under 80.

On Sunday, the ride was a different direction. We rode toward Lake Champlain. We went past a marker commerating where Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys gathered to assault Fort Ticonderoga during the revolution.

A short detour to the lake to see one of the oinly cable ferrys in America.

The next stop was a place where this guy creates wood sculptures. these were in his yard.

This is our support van.

There was a 10 mile option to Mount Independance and we saw this house on the way.

We strolled around the visitor center for a little while and then continued our ride. We had lunch in a little town befor continuing the ride. We caught the support van a few miles up the road, right when we were running out of water. There were about 6 miles left, and there were a couple of hills to go. We left the van and attacked the down hill. A few short turns, and we started to climb. The hill felt like it was 2 miles long, but was probably more like a mile. The final total for Sunday was 30 miles.